Help with scrupulosity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kanyewest
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kanyewest

Guest
As of the past month or so, I’ve been struggling with scrupulosity. I’ve gone to confession pretty much every week for the past couple weeks and I’ve been extremely scared to receive the Body of Christ almost every time I go up, thinking I might be under mortal sin. I’ve talked with a priest about the conditions for mortal sin, hoping for clarification, but the whole “grave matter” and “full knowledge” part of the conditions left me even more in a grey area than before. I know the Catechism says something about the Ten Commandments being criteria for grave sin, but then that would mean that things like white lies or stealing a penny would constitute as mortal. I’ve been extremely distraught over things that I feel like are mortal sins, or things that I’m not sure if I’ve done or not. This is especially true in confession, where I’ve found myself saying stuff like “I may have used profanity”. Can anyone offer me any spiritual guidance or help? Feeling like I’ve mortally sinned because I jaywalked or because I overate a couple times isn’t exactly an enjoyable state of mind to be in.
 
Scrupulously is a form of OCD. I HIGHLY recommend a well trained OCD therapist!! They may refer to it as “moral OCD” but they will definitely be able to help you!
 
Last edited:
I agree with both posters - talk to your Priest and a health professional about your anxieties. Let them help you and follow their advice.
 
Sometimes one has to take a Leap of Faith, i.e., Believe that one has been Forgiven… .

It’s never easy - yet - in essence that’s what Faith is actually all about…

Perhaps, Ask God for Fortitude… Courage.
 
I recommend you continue to try working it out with your priest, It is very important to have a regular Confessor who you can build a rapport with and who understands your scrupulosity. Having said that, the writings of Fr. William Doyle have helped me. There is a free pdf version of his book Scruples and Their Treatment which you can download from the following:


I found this very helpful with dealing with my own scruples. I pray it helps you.
 
As someone who has struggled with scrupulosity a lot in their life, i would tell you, you need a counselor. I thought I could get over it by myself but it’s impossible. I’m still struggling with it, but the road to healing is a long one. You CAN get help and there are people who want to help you. The devil will try to convince you that you don’t need help or that you can do it on your own. This is not true. Reach and to your Pastor, tell him about your issues, and ask him if he knows of any Catholic Counselors near you.
I’ll be praying for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top