Heroic Act Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dreams
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dreams

Guest
Hey, I was reading about a certain offering called the Heroic Act of Charity, where one would give up all atonement or relief of temporal punishment for one’s one sins for the mercy of the Suffering Souls in Purgatory. I am confused by this Act and have the following questions:

A) Why would one, even out of mercy, by willing to endure Purgatory for oneself so that others may be free from it? While God calls us to charity, wouldn’t that be counteractive as it is preventing oneself from reaching Heaven sooner?

B) Would God let someone suffer the atonement of their own sins, without possibility of anyone on earth helping them through prayers, after making this Act?

C) If such an Act is such a heroic gesture of charity, love, and mercy, and God promises to give back to us what we have given to others, how could He let someone endure suffering who has shown such mercy?

D) Would the completion of this Act not only bring one much merit, but also bring them very close to the Perfect Love of God, and help them lose attachment to their sins? If this is true, what possible purifying could one need after death? Would not their charity be paid back to them and cover over the effect of their sins?

E) If one completes this Act and goes straight to Heaven, such as Saint Gertrude, what heroism is involved if nothing is lost? Doesn’t the heroism come from having to endure your own Purgatory so that others may not?

F) Honestly, who would have the nerve to do this. I pray for Souls in Purgatory but I am working and praying hard to make it straight to Heaven. After all, nothing should stop us from trying to enter Heaven immediately, right?
 
You’re overthinking it.
I’m not interested in racking up merits for myself. I give them all to the Holy Souls via total consecration to Mary.
I trust God and Mother Mary to take care of me.
I sleep well at night and don’t worry about myself.

I also know I am following the advice of St Therese, one of my favorite saints.
It’s not particularly “heroic” to me either, it’s just common sense if you don’t want to be worrying about your own self all day. St Therese and St Louis de Montfort and others recommend it as the best and fastest way to get to Heaven, and I reckon they would know.

So, I help others while helping myself get to Heaven. What’s not to love about that? I’m frankly baffled as to why anyone would NOT do it.

I’m not sure what book you’re reading on this subject, but I’d advise you to put it down and go read either St Therese’s advice on how to skip Purgatory, or else “33 Days to Morning Glory” by Fr Gaitley. This “heroic” language is just silly.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top