Hey, honest, humble question

• Thread starter Thread starter Egg4christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Island Oak:
The closest analogy I can think of is parenthood. To echo what so many before me have said, faith is so much more of a challenge than I ever anticipated, just like my image of motherhood before children. However, it is so rewarding when done correctly. You rarely get things done right the first time and must patiently try, practice and learn over many years. You are wise (and save yourself many missteps) to seek out guidance from those who have gone down the path before you. You are rewarded with love, companionship, affection, peace of mind and a happy heart. You are repeatedly reminded of the truly important things in life and inspired to try harder and be more persistent, not for your own gain, but out of love for another, higher purpose. Because of the wonder of the experience, you will lovingly encourage others to take the same journey. Finally you learn humility, tolerance and compassion–not of evil or sin, but of honest effort, failure, pain, loss and renewed commitment. Faith is a gift–but it requires human effort to open it up and use it as intended.
Dear Island

‘Island Oak’ a beautiful name, a beautiful post and a beautiful analogy. Thank you

God Bless you

Church Militant:
This is the real thing. The fullness of truth, and the most beautiful Christianity you can possibly imagine. Nothing outside the Catholic Church even comes close. I cry tears of humble joy during the consecration at Mass because I am so wrapped up in worship of my risen Lord and Savior. I don’t care who notices or what they might think. I’m more concerned with making sure that Jesus hears me when I say, “My Lord and my God.”
God bless you, what a beautiful piece of your life you’ve shared.
Thanks.

…for those that believe no explanation is necessary, and for those that don’t believe, there is no explanation…

Good question… i will have to think about the answer some… yep, good question… 👍

40.png
Stephen-Maguire:
God bless you, what a beautiful piece of your life you’ve shared.
Code:
                                                                           Thanks.
Thanks Stephen

I find fulfillment in being in the 1 true Church.

How, though, do I get past guilt of sin? I go to adoration and have tried to becomean oblate w/o response.

I reflected more on this. Yesterday I wrote that my life was tougher. But an equally honest, equally humble answer is my life is much easier.

Jesus makes that which is tough easy. Thus is the paradox of Christianity. “Dying He destroyed our death. Rising He restored our life…”

I like reflecting on the Stations of the Cross (some of those statues hanging around our churches) how even Jesus fell under the weight of His cross and needed help. God can allow heavy crosses to make us stronger and bring forth salvation.

So, in many ways, my life is much easier now as a serious Catholic. I can laugh at some things that used to make me angry. I offer sympathy and prayers to people weighed down by sin because I know my own sins. Some things that once looked impossible to me, I do with ease using only one hand (while holding a baby in the other.) My life is more abundant because of Christ.

Again, thank you for posting this question, and thanks to all of you who shared your beautiful stories of faith.

40.png
camby:
I find fulfillment in being in the 1 true Church.

How, though, do I get past guilt of sin? I go to adoration and have tried to becomean oblate w/o response.
Dear Camby

You know, you must accept God’s forgiveness. If you have been absolved you are free and forgiven of those sins. You remember these sins and are filled with guilt and God only allows this rememberance and guilt of them so that it will give you strength and resolve not to repeat them, it is a reminder of how weak we are without Christ Jesus. The guilt is not there for you to worry about, nor is it there for you to grind down upon yourself daily, it is there so that you may reflect upon how not to repeat the same sins again and to remind you to constantly seek God to sustain and keep you from all sin because we are so very weak as humans.

So you now, must forgive yourself, acknowledge your sinful nature as I have acknowledged mine and rejoice in the fact that though you may fall God loves you and His hand is always there in reconciliation to the repentant sinner to take you by the hand and raise you to your feet in Christ again.

I will only say thank God you have been refused to become an oblate, I say that because God is calling you, but you may be looking in the worng direction. Pray seriously before the Blessed Sacrament and invoke the Holy Spirit to guide your discernment and do this for a VERY VERY long time.

God bless you and keep you always.

Hey Egg dude! It’s me again. Your gift’s amazing by the way, so keep it up…and a little Alleluia on the side!! Ok…How is my life different as a Catholic. One major difference I feel is PEACE OF MIND. For one, let’s say I die…and I get to go to confession before I die (to get rid of my mortal sins)…let’s say God or Saint Peter greets me in heaven. Let’s say…Saint Peter tells me: “Vincent, how come you didn’t join the one true Church? You know Jesus prayed for His Church, that they be One like He and the Father are One, right?” I can somehow boldly say: “Yo, Peter dude…4-5 years, I’ve spend my life in agnosticism doing secular research on the History of Christianity, and now you’re telling me I don’t belong to the one Church?? C’mon…quit kidding me, hehehe.”

That’s one. The other more realistic feeling is this: I know God loves me, and I know love Gods everyone else who doesn’t belong to the Catholic Church. On the outside…I can say there’s not much visible difference, but having been a non-denominational Christian (I was close to being trained as regional leader because of my “zeal” as I was told)…I have a certain peace in my head knowing that God extends his mercy and love to everyone. I find good and balanced reason and strategies on how and when to evangelize…and know what it truly feels to “Plant a seed, leave it to the Holy Spirit.” ANother thing, since I come from a scientific academic background, my peace of mind is enhanced by how the Catholic Faith’s doctine uses and utilizes logic to explain the development of their dogmas and other teachings. They completely present both sides of the argument.
Don’t get me wrong though…as much as I try to be sinless, I still have my fights with Sin…and I have lots of fights. Sometimes when I can’t express my sorrow through spontaneous prayers, I have the rosary to rely on to for prayers. Just the effort along to pray the rosary is a practice for patience, humility and self-giving love. Also, eventhough there are times I still get antsy over some of our Christian brothers and sisters who call the Catholic Faith “Babylon the Great” or a “fake” religion…some people opening up the issue of the priest scandals and the inquisition, I have been able to “tolerate” these attacks, and actually, I have been genuinely and sincerely able to “retaliate in love and respect.” It’s not pity I feel…it’s kinda something else I honestly can’t explain. At work, where I’m exposed to everything worldly and potentially sinful, I can easily mingle with everyone else, and stand my ground and people actually respect it. There are those who will call me a prude or a killjoy, but before the night’s over, we can laugh it off. I can at the same time, admonish these other folks not to engage in sinful action in ways that “strikes” them somehow (ofcourse, it helps a lot that I’ve engaged in similar sins before I renewed my faith in Christ). “Be all things to all men, so that some may be saved” as Saint Paul once said. In those words lie the universality of strategies available to evangelize and share the love of Christ with others. Katholikos…please correct me if I’m wrong is actually greek for “universal” or “general”…Latin is Catholicus, I think.

Well…that’s it for now. Hope that helps a little bit. Take care Egg4Christ. God Bless you and your family.😉

Wow-I don’t even know where to begin. I was raised in a nominal Catholic family during a time period where Catechisis was very poor so basically I knew next to nothing about my own faith. Got married at 18, didn’t practice my faith but I never stopped having a relationship with God. I never remember a period of my life when I didn’t talk to God.

Five years into our marriage we decided to have a child and I felt drawn to return to church. The fact that we lived in an apartment that was next door to my parish growning up was very convient. As we prepared to have our daughter baptized my pentecostal mother in law began asking many questions about what Catholics believed and I had no idea how to answer them.

So my journey began and later my agnostic husband followed me into the church. I’ll get comments from non Catholics (and fallen away Catholics) like “Oh you Catholics have to follow all these rules and regulations, your religion is so restricting.” But I don’t feel that way at all. I’ve never felt more free in all my life. Yes I do follow church teaching. But by doing so I have grown closer to the Lord, stronger in my faith, happier in my marriage and have peace in my life.

Does that mean I am without struggles and difficulties? No way. But I always say we’re not in Heaven yet, only in Heaven will there be no suffering.

How is my life different? In just about everyway. I’ve been to many protestant services. Even at the times when they have wonderful pastors who give edifying sermons and great fellowship I still feel a huge “hole” in my soul. The Eucharist -the body, blood, soul and divinty of Jesus my Lord - is missing. How can that be described? I don’t know that it can be. The closest thing to Heaven on earth.

God Bless!

-True friendship
-Hope when everything is looking down
-Love when I am alone
-Help when I can’t do a thing to fix what I just did
-A good listener, always
-The ability to accept people’s faults and forgive them, even when they cut me off on the freeway
-Eternity

These are some of the things I have found as a result of Catholicism and my belief in God. I didn’t have these until I truly started practicing my religion.

Eamon

40.png
Egg4christ:
I’m gonna ask a quiet question here. I don’t want to attack, to point fingers, or anything like that. I just want to ask. I’m not saying i got it all set either.
You are a catholic. How is your life different?
Thank you for asking.

In addition to what other posters have mentioned…the sacraments, the fullness of christianity, the one true church and more…

…for me, being Catholic is who I am. It is the lense through which I view life. It affects all of my decisions.

It can be difficult at times when dealing with day to day situations - for instance, not allowing my pre-teen daughter to accept an invitation to spend a spectacular weekend with a friend and her family unless I am reassured that she will NOT miss Mass.

Jesus, through the Church, gives us all we need to maintain a state of grace. We fall away repeatedly, but the Church is there not only to remind us that we are loved and wanted by Him no matter how much we sin, but also to give us the “roadmap” or “checklist” - through the sacraments - to get back on track.

Think of what a marvel the human body - His creation - is…all the systems working together to sustain life. Don’t you think He would style His Church to run as smoothly - if not more so - to obtain eternal life?

turboEDvo said:
-True friendship
-Hope when everything is looking down
-Love when I am alone
-Help when I can’t do a thing to fix what I just did
-A good listener, always
-The ability to accept people’s faults and forgive them, even when they cut me off on the freeway
-Eternity

These are some of the things I have found as a result of Catholicism and my belief in God. I didn’t have these until I truly started practicing my religion.

Eamon

I completely agree. If Catholicism wasn’t here, I don’t know where to start.

God Bless–JMJ
Laura 🙂

This is a great question, with many beautiful and inspired answers! My life is different now because I actually practice my faith! In the past I was not as faithful in my response to the Lord. Now I am and there is a world of difference!

What helps to make it different is that I can go to Mass every single day if I so choose!

I can go to a priest to confess my sins and grow by doing my penance. As far as I know, this is not done in other Christian faiths.

I can go anywhere in the world and find a Mass to attend. There is always a Catholic Church wherever I may go.

I can sit with the Real Presence of Our Lord at any time! This especially makes a huge difference in my life, knowing that I can be with Him this way.

There are so many reasons! I could go on and on and on! Thank you for asking your honest, humble question, friend!

May you have many, many blessings!

40.png
Egg4christ:
I’m gonna ask a quiet question here. I don’t want to attack, to point fingers, or anything like that. I just want to ask. I’m not saying i got it all set either.
You are a catholic. How is your life different?
Than non-denominational?

Well, assuming non-denominational people want to be a saint as much as I do 🙂 …then it comes down to the Sacrements, the Catechism, the Pope, Priest and Nuns…quite a bit different I guess.

What are you looking for that you would ask?

Little Mary:
Thank you for asking.
Think of what a marvel the human body - His creation - is…all the systems working together to sustain life. Don’t you think He would style His Church to run as smoothly - if not more so - to obtain eternal life?
Mary, this is one VERY profound statement!! You’ve said it in the best way I could ever hope to imagine! God Bless for sharing!!

Egg4Christ: Christianity offers a way for us human beings to live life to the fullest. We are spiritual as we are also physical. So therefore my own life is different as a Catholic because I get to learn more about my physical nature and spiritual nature. It’s a tough balancing act, but I think it’s the way to go in order to live life to the fullest. As we are created in God’s image and likeness…God would also somehow reflect his nature and character in the Church…spiritual and physical. My peace of mind rests in the fact that the Catholic Church has both a physical (sacraments, priests and nuns, etc) and a spiritual (preservation of sacred tradition, communion of saints) nature. It’s evangelization strategy caters to all walks of life…from those who can’t read or write, to those who have no idea what a “god” is…and to those who are mentally challenged to “logicize” gospel truths. For those who’d like to use logic to find elements of truth, they can do so as well by using history to dig up “facts.”

Another great thing about being Catholic is having a different kind of enlightenment when reading scripture. I can only compare this experience to a time when I belonged to a non-denominational Christian group. At that time, we concentrated so much on the New Testament…trying to revive “Christianity” as it were. The old Testament was used to explain parts of the New Testament. But, now, reading the Bible with a Catholic mindset, there’s this “invisible line” that guides you through scripture, as you relate historical events with Biblical passages, and marvel at the awe of consistency of something crafted by men for over 2,000 years under the inspiration of an all-knowing, all-powerful God. Catholicism challenges the Christian to prove his/her facts based on human reason and logic (which I think is a very logical approach…we are human beings, God gave us brains, therefore for those of us who have a full thinking capacity, we should be able to understand portions of salvation history and also understand the mysteries behind it). There…=). There’s more …as many other posters have shared…=).

Egg4Christ, again, thanks for asking that question. Also because of you I have at least tried to put an “order” into what I have learned so far about my Catholic Faith.

God Bless. Keep those inquiries coming.

My life is different now because i know The Truth and i am no longer confused or searching for answers. I know in my heart i am where i am supposed to be and that fills me with great comfort and joy. God has answered my prayers and shown me the truth and it is so clear to me now.

Hard to say…the peace thing is there, which some folks find weird, in that my life is a high stress and sorrowful one. The thing I think that stands out, is the belief in the Communion of Saints. It is like having the biggest and best prayer circle in the universe, praying for you, and with you, and helping you. Not that the saints, per se, are worshipped like God (heaven forbid!) but I can and do ask them to intercede, to ‘go to bat’ for me, and ask God to help me in my daily needs. Sort of like having a friend ask God for a favor in your name. They really do, and I look forward to meeting them in heaven one day (and we will doubtless chuckle over things that I thought were important from this earthly viewpoint, that were pretty silly from the heavenly one).You sound like a truth seeker, to me. God bless you and may he lead you to His truth, not man’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back