Hill leaders eye new round of stimulus checks as part of $900 billion Covid relief deal

• Thread starter Thread starter RootKitWarrior
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RootKitWarrior

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/16/politics/stimulus-negotiations-state-of-play/index.html
Congressional leaders, after months of a bitter stalemate and as millions of Americans have been eager for relief, are finally indicating they’re nearing a deal on a new rescue package that could pass both chambers within days.

The deal is expected to include a new round of stimulus checks, but no money for state and local aid, a priority Democrats had pushed for, and no lawsuit protections, which Republicans wanted, according to a source briefed on the talks. The source cautioned that nothing is final until it is unveiled, but that’s where this is headed at the moment. A separate person familiar with the talks told CNN negotiators are closing in on a deal that will include enhanced unemployment insurance benefits.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a floor speech Wednesday morning that Hill leaders have “made major headway toward hammering out a targeted pandemic relief package that would be able to pass both chambers with bipartisan majorities,” and said, “we agreed we will not leave town until we’ve made law.”

McConnell did not announce any specifics on what will be in the deal, but did offer a preview of what’s likely to be included, saying, “We need vaccine distribution money, we need to re-up the Paycheck Protection Program to save jobs, we need to continue to provide for laid off Americans.”

Senate Majority Whip John Thune told reporters that he thinks $600-$700 is under discussion for stimulus checks and “double that for family and kids.”

Thune, a Republican from South Dakota, also added he thinks there will be $300 for unemployment benefits per week.

I would rather see unemployment rather than blanket stimulus checks, but at this point a poorly crafted relief is better than none at all.

I’m glad there will be checks. Not for me, but for a couple of neighbors and friends who truly need the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back