Historical accuracy of the Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crusading_Canuk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crusading_Canuk

Guest
Hi, don’t ask how but a debate has developed on Facebook between myself and an athiest. I know there is proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible but I cannot seem to remember any sources. Right now it is specifically on Genesis. I thank all who respond.
 
Hi, don’t ask how but a debate has developed on Facebook between myself and an athiest. I know there is proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible but I cannot seem to remember any sources. Right now it is specifically on Genesis. I thank all who respond.
WHERE WE GOT THE BIBLE by Tan Publishers
 
Hi, don’t ask how but a debate has developed on Facebook between myself and an athiest. I know there is proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible but I cannot seem to remember any sources. Right now it is specifically on Genesis. I thank all who respond.
I don’t know how Catholics view the books of Daniel and Revelation (as stated in my first thread) but those books are a perfect breakdown of history.No one can deny that.
 
Hi, don’t ask how but a debate has developed on Facebook between myself and an athiest. I know there is proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible but I cannot seem to remember any sources. Right now it is specifically on Genesis. I thank all who respond.
Hi CC.
I think it would be helpful to point out to the atheist that there were many writers involved in the Bible. They used various genres of writing but all serve God. The Magisterium interprets the Bible for our guidance as Catholics. While atheists are forever anxious to call into question the historical accuracy of Scripture, they do not credit the aforementioned Magisterium and the innumerable Biblical scholars whose work constantly enlightens the faithful.
God Bless,
Colmcille.
 
Hi, don’t ask how but a debate has developed on Facebook between myself and an athiest. I know there is proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible but I cannot seem to remember any sources. Right now it is specifically on Genesis. I thank all who respond.
Another thing, use the bible all the way through to prove that it is historically accurate. The bible says that prophecy is sure and many people convert because of the spirit of prophesy which is the testimony of Jesus.

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See [thou do it] not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
 
Hi, don’t ask how but a debate has developed on Facebook between myself and an athiest. I know there is proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible but I cannot seem to remember any sources. Right now it is specifically on Genesis. I thank all who respond.
Saying that there is “proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible” is a meaningless statement. The bible is not a single “book”, it is a collection of many different types of writing and literary forms, not all of which are history. Even if they were, they would not be “history” as we know it. The church dogmatically affirms this in Dei Verbum and in the fact that the church only requires belief in the literal historicity of a small handful of stories. The bible represents *salvation *history and the vehicles for that revelation include myth, legend, fable, poetry, and even historical passages. It is wrong for either of you to only focus only on historicity.
 
Hi, don’t ask how but a debate has developed on Facebook between myself and an athiest. I know there is proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible but I cannot seem to remember any sources. Right now it is specifically on Genesis. I thank all who respond.
The Dead Sea Scrolls evidence the accuracy of the Bible.
Apart from the book of Esther there is at least a fragment of every other book in the Bible and compared to the Bible in your house the accuracy is about 98%, with only minor errors not affecting any meanings.

Just realised that you might be asking about something different. Are you asking if our Bibles today are accurate compared to scripture in Biblical times or are you asking if the Bible content is historically accurate.
 
Saying that there is “proof of the historical accuracy of the Bible” is a meaningless statement. The bible is not a single “book”, it is a collection of many different types of writing and literary forms, not all of which are history. Even if they were, they would not be “history” as we know it. The church dogmatically affirms this in Dei Verbum and in the fact that the church only requires belief in the literal historicity of a small handful of stories. The bible represents *salvation *history and the vehicles for that revelation include myth, legend, fable, poetry, and even historical passages. It is wrong for either of you to only focus only on historicity.
Judaism refers to the first five books of the Bible as Torah – “instruction.” There is a harmonious view in the New Testament 2 Tim 3:16-17 where it says the scriptures (the OT) is inspired and useful for “teaching” or “instruction” (to use a different word).

But, the instruction is about the faith, not history or science.

The first creation account of Genesis is in chapter one (with a bit of spillover into chap two). This is called the priestly version of creation, because of the language and concepts, and even the literary presentation. The number 7 is obviously prominent in the specification of six days of creation plus a day of “rest” by God. But, the number seven is prominent in the Hebrew, as the verses have either seven words or a multiple of seven words.

There is a repetition of words which highlights the number seven. Seven was not a “magic” number but a traditional one. Feasts and celebrations went on for seven days, because it took so long for people to travel in for them, a daylong celebration wouldn’t have been worth the trouble. So, seven is highlighted most likely for literary and cultural reasons, not for necessarily scientific or historical reasons. Forcing that square peg into a round hole will never fit, by criticizing Gen 1 on scientific or historical grounds. Get over it.

And, notice, there is a second creation account which does not agree with the first! But, why scratch your eyes out about that, either? It is also not intended to be historical or scientific, but inspirational, spiritual, and instructional. It is metaphysical, which science is incapable of proving or disproving.

On all these points, Genesis passes with flying colors. The atheists and skeptics have studied their bibles well, as far as they went, to establish that Genesis creations accounts are neither historical or scientific. Good job, as far as they went.

I agree with G.K. Chesterton. I don’t believe that atheists exist.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top