Hmm....

  • Thread starter Thread starter daisy14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daisy14

Guest
Hey everyone. So I am new at this whole forum thing. I have been waiting to write a thread, and have some feedback. I don’t really know where to begin, but for now I will share something that dawned on me not too long ago.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us…

These words always hit me rather hard. Am I honestly forgiving those, that hurt me? One day I felt down and out… why? Because someone had hurt my feelings… not trying to, but through their actions, I can’t help but get upset and slightly mad. I thought… how can I really forgive them. I mean I still feel as if I am trying to forgive some people who have hurt me to depths I’ve never felt pain before.

Then I thought, wow what a jerk I’ve been to God, through my actions. He is truly merciful and amazing for being able to forgive me, and wanting to forgive me.

I want to love like God loves, but its difficult.
 
I know, it’s hard to love with a Love so infinite. I don’t know if we, as mere humans, have the capacity to love like He does. But we’re called to try, and reach for sainthood–not quite GOD’s level of love, but extraordinary nonetheless.

Thanks for this…it gave me something to think about. 🙂
 
It is not so much feeling that you have forgiven, but you decide to forgive as a matter of will. Every time it comes to mind, and you think you haven’t forgiven yet, make the decision to forgive again, no matter how many times you have to do it. Just keep saying, I forgive you and ask God to bless that person.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, I Trust in You.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, I believe in Your love for me.

Jesus, Meek and Humble of Heart, make my heart like Your Heart.
 
MariellaCecilia - 🙂 you are welcome 🙂 its fun sharing things that mean something to us.

Seachange - Thanks for the tip… I will deff start doing that. I know that one time the only way I could get over a pain was through prayer. Asking that God help me get over the past.
 
Hi Daisy -

For me at times, my forgiveness comes in spite of the lingering pain. I might always feel wronged by anothers words or actions, but forgiveness isn’t about my feelings. And I will probably remember their actions for a long time, but that’s just an opportunity for God’s grace in my life. As love can be difficult, so too forgiveness.

God Bless you! 🙂
Steven
 
Hi Steven 😃

You are right its not about feelings. Thats really something I didn’t think about before. I had this belief that I had to feel good in order to forgive someone. But I can forgive and let God heal me of any pains.

God Bless you too 🙂

(not sure how this ended up in sacred scriptures, thought I put it in back fence??)
 
Hey everyone. So I am new at this whole forum thing. I have been waiting to write a thread, and have some feedback. I don’t really know where to begin, but for now I will share something that dawned on me not too long ago.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us…

These words always hit me rather hard. Am I honestly forgiving those, that hurt me? One day I felt down and out… why? Because someone had hurt my feelings… not trying to, but through their actions, I can’t help but get upset and slightly mad. I thought… how can I really forgive them. I mean I still feel as if I am trying to forgive some people who have hurt me to depths I’ve never felt pain before.

Then I thought, wow what a jerk I’ve been to God, through my actions. He is truly merciful and amazing for being able to forgive me, and wanting to forgive me.

I want to love like God loves, but its difficult.
I wrote about this a few years ago on my blog. Maybe this will help:

As we forgive those who trespass against us.

Peace,

Dennis
 
Hey everyone. So I am new at this whole forum thing. I have been waiting to write a thread, and have some feedback. I don’t really know where to begin, but for now I will share something that dawned on me not too long ago.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us…
Actually that’s Cranmer’s English which seems to have been set in stone. Perhaps the better literal translation is

Et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
And forgive us debts our,

sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
just as we forgive debtors our.

Trespassing seems to have taken on a new meaning over the years.
 
I find that I have to remind myself at LEAST once a day of that part of the prayer. One thing that has helped me aside from the prayer itself is the realization that holding a grudge while easier than forgiving is much more stressful than letting go.
 
Dennis - Yes it did very much. Thank you for showing me your blog, I think it’s something I really needed to read.

ProVobis - I am not sure I understood about what you were getting at? Sorry.

mdrummer5 - Yes I totally agree. Holding onto that pain is tormenting to the mind, and I am positive unhealthy (mentally and physically).
 
A quote I got years ago from a wise friend:

Refusing to forgive is like waiting for the snake that bit you to die.

The psychological and spiritual truth is, forgiving the person who hurt us (whether or not they know it or deserve it) is the beginning of recovering from the hurt - not the end of it. And yes, it is an act of the will, not an emotion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top