M
mgoforth
Guest
Thanks James. I can accept that wealth invested in companies is not necessarily sinful…although I think there’s still the question of what one does with the dividends, capital gains, etc. It would be hard for me to say it wasn’t sinful or at least gravely wrong for someone to spend all the earnings on their own enjoyment.You ask a very good question that comes up here periodically.
There is no reason not to give away personal wealth, but giving it away may not be the best use of the gift given to you by God.
Money - when properly considered is a commodity and also a tool. As a tool it can be used to provide employment for others. So if the person who has the money invests it in a business, or in several businesses that employ multiple people, is he not also aiding the poor by providing jobs to those who need them? If being a good businessman happens to be his gift from God, should he not use the resources God provides along with the talent God gave him to aid his fellow man?
But note here that the person who does this will still show a substantial net worth. He will still have, as you but it, earthly wealth.
Jesus did say that it is highly difficult for a rich man to get into heaven which speaks strongly to the dangers of too much earthly wealth - of becoming attached to it and serving it instead of God. It is a very dangerous thing…But as mentioned above, it is possible to show “wealth” on a spreadsheet and still be poor of spirit, because you view the money, not for what it can get you, but for what good you can do with it…
Peace
James
What I’m really trying to discern from this thread is whether I’m giving enough. When we discuss it, my wife tells me that we do, and I don’t think she’s a particularly greedy person. But I’ve started to read this wonderful book called The 12 Steps to Holiness and Salvation, and I’m on the chapter now about the virtue of poverty.
So it’s really made me wonder…how detached am I really from things of the world? God has definitely allowed me to make some progress in this area since my conversion…but I’m just not sure.
Thanks for all the answers so far, I hope I’ve clarified my question somewhat.