Holy Days of Obligation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelka

New member
Imagine if the feast of St Faustina was a Holy day of obligation in Poland but was not in England and I as an Englishman find myself on holiday during this time.

Am I obligated to go as the country I am in sees it as a Holy day of obligation or because I do not live there and my country does not see it as one am I not obligated to go?

I’m just wondering really.

Thanks.
 
Imagine if the feast of St Faustina was a Holy day of obligation in Poland but was not in England and I as an Englishman find myself on holiday during this time.

Am I obligated to go as the country I am in sees it as a Holy day of obligation or because I do not live there and my country does not see it as one am I not obligated to go?

I’m just wondering really.

Thanks.
If, for example, you visit a country (traveler), and happen to be there on a local holyday of obligation, you are not obliged to attend Mass on that day, even though all the Catholic living there must.Can. 12 §1. Universal laws bind everywhere all those for whom they were issued.

§2. All who are actually present in a certain territory, however, are exempted from universal laws which are not in force in that territory.

§3. Laws established for a particular territory bind those for whom they were issued as well as those who have a domicile or quasi-domicile there and who at the same time are actually residing there, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 13.

Can. 13 §1. Particular laws are not presumed to be personal but territorial unless it is otherwise evident.

§2. Travelers are not bound:
1/ by the particular laws of their own territory as long as they are absent from it unless either the transgression of those laws causes harm in their own territory or the laws are personal;

2/ by the laws of the territory in which they are present, with the exception of those laws which provide for public order, which determine the formalities of acts, or which regard immovable goods located in the territory.
§3. Transients are bound by both universal and particular laws which are in force in the place where they are present.
​
If the holy day of obligation in question is part of universal law, then Canon 12 applies.
 
Imagine if the feast of St Faustina was a Holy day of obligation in Poland but was not in England and I as an Englishman find myself on holiday during this time.

Am I obligated to go as the country I am in sees it as a Holy day of obligation or because I do not live there and my country does not see it as one am I not obligated to go?

I’m just wondering really.

Thanks.
No.

Vico already posted the canons.

The reasoning is that the Church does not place unreasonable burdens on you. It would be a burden to expect you to consult every local calendar every time you travel to see if there is a Holy Day of Obligation that would otherwise be unfamiliar to you.

If you travel on Christmas, you must attend Mass (that’s a universal law, so the Church expects you to know it). However, if it’s a local obligation that applies only to that place, you aren’t obligated to observe it when you travel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top