Holy Days of Obligation

  • Thread starter Thread starter vel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter. I am updating our parish Ministry Schedule for Weekly Mass and wanted to include the Holy Days as a reminder to all parishioners. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Your Sister in Christ.
V
There is a little calendar-book in your parish office by the main desk called “Ordo.” Look up this week to see whether there are any Holy Days of Obligation coming up this week. It also shows the liturgical colors for each day, and the Saints, as well as any special prayers that need to be said for each day. 🙂
 
The universal list of holy days for the Latin Rite is found in Canon Law:
Can. 1246 §1. Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition the paschal mystery is celebrated, must be observed in the universal Church as the primordial holy day of obligation. The following days must also be observed: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints.
§2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See, however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.
For those keeping score, the natural dates for those feasts are:
Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ – 25 Dec
the Epiphany – 6 Jan
the Ascension – Thu, 40 days after Easter Sunday
the Body and Blood of Christ – Thu, 61 days after Easter Sunday
Holy Mary the Mother of God – 1 Jan
her Immaculate Conception – 8 Dec
her Assumption – 15 Aug
Saint Joseph – 19 Mar
Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles – 29 Jun
All Saints – 1 Nov

tee
 
But throughout California the obligation has been dispensed.
How can it be dispensed of in California? It was legitimately accepted by the entire NCCB, under which California also must abide. There is not ‘one’ bishop of California. There are many. I know of no ‘meeting’ and I cannot find anything on the internet where Californians are dispensed from the Jan.1 holyday. You’ll have to do better than that.
 
How can it be dispensed of in California? It was legitimately accepted by the entire NCCB, under which California also must abide. There is not ‘one’ bishop of California. There are many. I know of no ‘meeting’ and I cannot find anything on the internet where Californians are dispensed from the Jan.1 holyday. You’ll have to do better than that.
“You’ll have to do better than that?” Excuse me?? I’m sure what you meant to say was “I’m not proficient with Google. Could you enlighten me further?”

Yes, I can.

archdiocese.la/news/pdf/news_1046_2009%20Liturgical%20Calendar.pdf
google.com/calendar/render?eid=NnJhbnIxN2ZudGphZG84MmNjNzFicjA4bzAgc2ZhcmNoZGlvY2VzZS5vcmdfOTNiaWxsYWd1NWxpMnRpZjc2N25mOWNqamdAZw&sf=true&output=xml
dsj.org/being-catholic/worship/the-liturgy-files-is-january-1-2010-a-holy-day-of-obligation
calcatholic.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?id=dd82cd88-914f-44d1-bc36-c61c92ac17e1

I’ll leave it as an exercise for you to Google the other dioceses in California.
 
“You’ll have to do better than that?” Excuse me?? I’m sure what you meant to say was “I’m not proficient with Google. Could you enlighten me further?”

Yes, I can.
I always considered California a “foreign country”. That state is determined to do whatever it wants. Maybe if the dioceses instituted Jan 1 feastday of the Solemnity of the Mother of God, maybe She would shed more grace on all of you. Heaven knows, that state sure needs it!😃
 
How can it be dispensed of in California? It was legitimately accepted by the entire NCCB, under which California also must abide. There is not ‘one’ bishop of California. There are many. I know of no ‘meeting’ and I cannot find anything on the internet where Californians are dispensed from the Jan.1 holyday. You’ll have to do better than that.
As Tee said in post #25 above
Can. 1246 §2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See, however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.

And the bishops of various diocese have dispensed from the obligation. I seriously doubt there are no bishops in any place other than CA who have dispensed from the obligation. As was I think indicated in contrast it is not a HDO in Hawaii whose practices are in conformity with those of the South Pacific Islands.

The Diocese of San Jose web site says it short and sweet:
January 1 is the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, and is one of the holy days of obligation observed in the United States. (Click here for the entire list of holy days of obligation for the US.) By law, all Catholics are obligated to participate in Mass on these days. However, the Bishop of each diocese, whenever he judges that it contributes to their spiritual good, may dispense the faithful of his diocese from the obligation to participate in Mass for a particular holy day.
Bishop McGrath has dispensed the Diocese of San Jose from the obligation to participate in Mass on January 1, 2010. This dispensation, however, does not remove the rank of solemnity from the day, and the faithful are still encouraged to participate in Mass if they are able or to observe the holy day in other forms of prayer or pious works.
Parishes are expected to provide at least one Mass in observance of the holy day, either at an anticipated Mass on the evening of December 31, 2009, or during the day on January 1, 2010.
I’m am as mystified by the 12th day of the Nativity being celebrated tomorrow, not on January 6. The Magi travel faster than they used to :confused: In the Eastern Churches we keep the days on the calendar where they fall and don’t move them to the most convenient Sunday. 🙂

I was in a weekday Mass a week or so ago and the priest who routinely celebrates Mass on days when the parish pastor does not said no less then 3 times that the Bishop had dispensed the faithful from the obligation for Jan 1 because it was a Friday, emphasis because it was a Friday. Why he came up with this explanation for why our bishop made this dispensation I don’t know and didn’t ask because he’s a grouch and already had spent his usual 8 minutes berating those present on how unfaithful he knows they/we are.
 
I was in a weekday Mass a week or so ago and the priest who routinely celebrates Mass on days when the parish pastor does not said no less then 3 times that the Bishop had dispensed the faithful from the obligation for Jan 1 because it was a Friday, emphasis because it was a Friday. Why he came up with this explanation for why our bishop made this dispensation I don’t know and didn’t ask because he’s a grouch and already had spent his usual 8 minutes berating those present on how unfaithful he knows they/we are.
I remember as far back as 1980 where many bishops in the Conference wanted to dispense with ALL of the holy days of obligation and move them to a Sunday. Their rationale was that since so few Catholics attended, there was no reason not to place them during the Church year on a Sunday closest to the time of their observance. Sometimes I tend to agree.

I did not know that dioceses across the nation can get an apostolic dispensation from having their flocks excused from holydays. Somehow, that just doesn’t seem right.
So, does that mean that in one diocese if a person doesn’t go to a HDO he or she commits a mortal sin, but if one is excused, no mortal sin is committed? What nonsense is THAT?
 
And the bishops of various diocese have dispensed from the obligation. I seriously doubt there are no bishops in any place other than CA who have dispensed from the obligation. As was I think indicated in contrast it is not a HDO in Hawaii whose practices are in conformity with those of the South Pacific Islands.
Actually I believe the bishop of the diocese of Reno dispensed the obligation to attend Mass this year. That’s probably because that diocese is part of the province of San Fransisco.
 
I remember as far back as 1980 where many bishops in the Conference wanted to dispense with ALL of the holy days of obligation and move them to a Sunday. Their rationale was that since so few Catholics attended, there was no reason not to place them during the Church year on a Sunday closest to the time of their observance. Sometimes I tend to agree.
I would say a more charitable phrasing of the rationale would be: since so few Catholics attend – And by that omission place themselves in a state of mortal sin – Let us remove the occassion.
And FTR, sometimes I too tend to agree. Other times I wish the bishops would improve catechesis.
I did not know that dioceses across the nation can get an apostolic dispensation from having their flocks excused from holydays. Somehow, that just doesn’t seem right.
The Apostolic See has nothing to do with it – The ordinary can always dispense his subjects from the obligation. My understanding that it must be done on a case by case basis, which is why the bishops of CA must repeat the dispensation every year.

tee
 
I’m am as mystified by the 12th day of the Nativity being celebrated tomorrow, not on January 6. The Magi travel faster than they used to :confused: In the Eastern Churches we keep the days on the calendar where they fall and don’t move them to the most convenient Sunday. 🙂

Agreed.
 
Holy Days of Obligation differ from country to country. In the United States, the Days of Obligation that Catholic Christians where Catholic Christians must attend Mass are:

Christmas (Dec. 25)
Solemnity of the Mother of God (Jan. 1)
Easter
Ascension Thursday
Assumption (Aug. 15)
Feast of All Saints (Nov. 1)
Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8)
all Sundays

In Canada:

Christmas
Epiphany (Jan. 6)
Easter
Ascension
Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ
Assumption
all Sundays
Sorry, in Canada the only Holy Days of Obligation are Sundays, Feast of Mary, Holy Mother of God and Christmas.
Epiphany, Ascension, Corpus Christi are transferred to Sundays and Assumption is supressed.
 
This was very confusing to those who live in the US at Christmas and New Years.
As the PP stated, many Holy Days of obligation have been moved to Sundays.
But… the way the dates fell this past Christmas/New Years holiday you wouldn’t have to go to both the Holy Day of obligation on Saturday, then to the Sunday Mass the next day (also a Holy Day of obligation).
It’s not a dispensation but some rule that if it lands on a Saturday and it touches a Sunday…bla bla bla… I don’t remember.
But, I can tell you with confidence, the Pope in the Vatican does not move the Holy Days around. You are/were obligated to go Jan 1st and Jan 2nd if you live there. LOL.
My family will go to Mass two days in a row since both are Holy Days of obligation even though we do live in the US. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top