H
Holland
Guest
I think you are right and I thank you for all the information you have provided. It has given me a better understanding of the Eucharist. I am not sure if it is always a result of “poor catechesis” or a misunderstanding of what the Catechism says but the end result is the same; more of a celebration or supper. The small local church here would like to change the Mass more than they already have. I need to write a letter to the bishop and your information has helped me clarify my thoughts. Thanks again.Holland,
I’m sure we, and the other forum members, could come up with various reasons as to why “celebration” or “meal” is sometimes emphasized over “sacrifice.”
In any event, I think it is safe to say that all of us need a deeper understanding of Christ’s sacrifice, death, and ressurection in our lives.
- Perhaps it is a modernist tendency to trumpet the “horizontal” or communal nature of liturgy in opposition to the “vertical” or Divine nature of liturgy.
- Perhaps it betrays a puritan or docetist aversion to the body, and to Christ’s incarnation and suffering.
- Perhaps it is the echo of those who passed by shaking their heads saying “if you are the Son of God, come down from the cross!” (Matt. 27:40)
- Perhaps it is the result of poor catechesis.
- Perhaps it is a combination of all of the above.
What do you think?
VC