Holy Ghost vs Holy Spirit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter katpants
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe ghost is just an older term. I believe ghost comes from the old English word gast which means spirit or soul. The German word geist which means ghost (like poltergeist) is similar in origin.
 
Which is one is right? Or do both work?

Kat
Good news: there’s no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ here. Most everybody says ‘Holy Spirit’ now, but some folks still do use ‘Holy Ghost’, which is the older term.
 
Yes, you can use either one. It’s an older term that used to be used. I grew up actually with the term “Holy Ghost,” so it took some getting used to for me, when the term “Holy Spirit” was used. 🙂
 
in latin it is spiritus sanctus

in spanish it is espiritu santo

in english it is holy spirit

it is only in english which has 2 forms… I say Holy spirit most of the time…but I ssometimes say The descent of the holy ghost upon the apostles for the 3rd Glorious mystery…

but I always say In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit
 
in latin it is spiritus sanctus

in spanish it is espiritu santo

in english it is holy spirit

it is only in english which has 2 forms… I say Holy spirit most of the time…but I ssometimes say The descent of the holy ghost upon the apostles for the 3rd Glorious mystery…

but I always say In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit
Me too…programmed Catholic! :rolleyes: 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top