Holy Week obligations

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mlz

Guest
I am a fairly new Catholic but am a bit confused about my obligations Holy Week. I have company coming who are not Catholic and need to be clear… Fasting on Holy Friday as past fridays( no meat- only one meal and 2 “snacks” that equal a meal- right? Are we obligated to Thurs, Fri services???
Thanks,
mlz
 
Due to work hours, I almost NEVER make it to Holy Thursday services, but Good Friday should be available. Take the kleenex. I always cry at Good Friday service. Thank you Jesus for doing for me what I never could do.
 
You received the correct answer, but I would caution you about your guests.
Please do not try to enforce your rules on them.
You can provide them with 3 meals, and not make a big deal out of the no meat thing.
Certainly any guest would be thrilled to get a nicely grilled fish for dinner.
When they have breakfast, you just limit yourself to a cup of tea and maybe an English muffin, plain. Don’t make a huge deal out of it. Make sure there are things on the kitchen counter (such as fresh fruits) that they are welcome to enjoy any time during the day.
Part of doing our sacrifices is not calling attention to it. ON Friday, you can say "well, it’s been a long week, I’m going to lay low. Would you like me to drop you into town? I’m going to be quiet and read today. Or something similar.
Enjoy your guests! And may you have a blessed Holy Week.
 
I am a fairly new Catholic but am a bit confused about my obligations Holy Week. I have company coming who are not Catholic and need to be clear… Fasting on Holy Friday as past fridays( no meat- only one meal and 2 “snacks” that equal a meal- right? Are we obligated to Thurs, Fri services???
Thanks,
mlz
Just in case you have been given the wrong idea. Fridays are abstinence (no meat) days. They are not fast days (the one meal and two snacks you quoted). That only applies to Good Friday. (And Ash Wed, before somebody points it out - it’s just that the way the OP was phrased, it looked like ALL Fridays were fast days).
 
I am a fairly new Catholic but am a bit confused about my obligations Holy Week. I have company coming who are not Catholic and need to be clear… Fasting on Holy Friday as past fridays( no meat- only one meal and 2 “snacks” that equal a meal- right? Are we obligated to Thurs, Fri services???
Thanks,
mlz
Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday together are called the ‘Triduum’ because it forms one event: The Last Supper, Jesus’ death on the Cross and his resurrection on Easter Sunday. If possible, Catholics should attempt to attend all three. It is not always possible, but it is kind of sad to see the church so empty on Holy Thursday. 🤷
 
You received the correct answer, but I would caution you about your guests.
Please do not try to enforce your rules on them.
You can provide them with 3 meals, and not make a big deal out of the no meat thing.
.
I at first misunderstood that, thinking you emant not making a big deal in the sense of letting them have meat.
But now I am fairly sure that you meant definitively NOT serving meat on Good Friday but do it without calling much attention to it?

Just in general though, I wonder, yes, we should not praise ourselves for fasting, making sure everybody sees it, etc… but to the people we are close to, or who stay at the same house, wouldn’t it be normal and even educational to explain to them that it is a day of fasting in the Church, etc? That this week is very special in the Church, very special liturgies are held, etc?
 
I at first misunderstood that, thinking you emant not making a big deal in the sense of letting them have meat.
But now I am fairly sure that you meant definitively NOT serving meat on Good Friday but do it without calling much attention to it?

Just in general though, I wonder, yes, we should not praise ourselves for fasting, making sure everybody sees it, etc… but to the people we are close to, or who stay at the same house, wouldn’t it be normal and even educational to explain to them that it is a day of fasting in the Church, etc? That this week is very special in the Church, very special liturgies are held, etc?
Of course it would. But you can’t hit people over the head either. One would drive them away from the faith by doing so. Part of being a good educator is being humble. If they ask, explain. And then move on.
No, never call attention to yourself. We do it for God, not for show.
Like I said, a fine fish meal is superb, and in today’s market just as costly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top