Home Altar Set Up

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wic

Guest
I’m new to Catholicism but very zealous. Here is the beginning of my home altar and I’m looking for advice on how to set one up. Any tips and suggestions?

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Looks wonderful! Be careful with candles, it looks like your shelf could get hot, but otherwise, so nice!
 
Will do. I’m moving to a small table very soon. I hope to expand…
 
I have several rosaries, and say one at home and one at work everyday. A kneeler is a good suggestion, thanks.
 
You have a very nice prayer space there. I like your icons. I think a crucifix would be a nice addition. I am a very visual person and have one on my prayer table. I get many contemplative thoughts just by gazing at it.
 
Last edited:
I forgot to mention yesterday that a little dish of holy water is nice to make the Sign of the Cross with before and after prayer time. I used to keep mine in a small bowl but it evaporated quickly. I read on here a person having the same issue suggesting to keep holy water in a small lidded sugar bowl. I got a little glass one from a second hand store. Sure enough, I don’t have evaporation issues anymore, it lasts much, much longer. I highly recommend trying it.
 
Looks good.

Please be careful with that candle! You want to make sure there is nothing above it when you are burning it. You could start a fire.
 
I’m new to Catholicism but very zealous. Here is the beginning of my home altar and I’m looking for advice on how to set one up. Any tips and suggestions?
Very nice! Are you Eastern rite? If you are, I would recommend getting an Eastern prayer book as well so you can learn some prayers and develop something called a prayer rule. If you are interested, I will explain a bit more on what a prayer rule is. Here’s a good prayer book:

 
Thank you for the replies. I will be careful with the candle. It looks dangerously close to the top of the shelf but I assure you it’s not that close.

I am becoming Roman Catholic, icons are something I have collected for years and have others around my study. I’m using the Blessed Be God prayer book and find it sufficient for my needs. The rosary I’m using was a gift from a friend who bought it at the Vatican when he visited but have my eye on the Templar Rosary and a St. Benedict Chaplet.

Thanks
 
It’s lovely! As for the setup i know that women go to the left, like you put them, under Virgin Mary, Christ is at the center (and here should be the crucifix too if you get one) and men saints at the right. You can also get an icon (or two, or statues) with the Archangels Gabriel and Michael. Michael is at the left usually and Gabriel at the right.
To make it more Catholic you can get some smaller statues.
What’s in the wooden box? 😃😃😃 Sorry if I am too nosy.
 
I think it is beautiful I wish we had the space to do something similar.
 
I don’t think there is a wrong way to do it. You can always change it anytime you want.

I believe God appreciates what you are doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top