Home with the flu--should you catch mass on tv?

• Thread starter Thread starter Emilyfromohio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Emilyfromohio

On Saturday afternoon, I got the flu, and well, I had to pee alot 😃

On Sunday, I felt a little better, but I was not going to go to Church (I could have still thorwn up or something) I was pretty dehydrated. I was so tired that I did not feel like I could watch the Mass on TV without falling asleep, or not being able to stand up any longer. I felt it would just be disrespectful.

Should i have watched the mass on tv anyway?

When you are sick, there is no obligation to attend Mass. There is also no obligation to watch one on TV.

So, no there is no “should” in this situation. You ask whether you “should” have watched the mass on TV. The answer is: no. If you were ill, resting is what you “should” have been doing.

Even if you *had *felt up to watching it, there would have been nothing wrong with NOT watching it.

I had the flu this weekend and still have it. I stayed home from Mass because I didn’t want to spread this nasty bug around church. There is certainly no sin in that. Would have loved to watch Mass on TV I guess, except I don’t have TV.

On Sunday, I felt a little better, but I was not going to go to Church (I could have still thorwn up or something) I was pretty dehydrated. I was so tired that I did not feel like I could watch the Mass on TV without falling asleep, or not being able to stand up any longer. I felt it would just be disrespectful.

I had the exact same thing happen this weekend.
I ended up watching the Mass on tv twice Sunday. One of the local stations broadcasts Mass from somewhere in the Archdiocese of NY. And as soon as it was over I turned on EWTN and watched the Mass again. And I kept dozing off during both Masses.

You are under no obligation at all to watch the Mass on tv if you can’t make it in person. It is just a nice thing to have available for the sick or the home bound.

lol. I actually got in the habit of watching the Mass on tv while I am getting ready to leave for Mass.

James

I had the stomach flu on Christmas Eve a few years ago. I was well enough to lay on the sofa and watch Midnight Mass live from the Vatican, but I fell asleep during the homily and didn’t wake up until two hours later. Mass had ended, and EWTN was showing some Christmas claymation. Good grief, was I confused: “What’s wrong with St. Peter’s? Why does the Pope look funny?” :rolleyes:

God knows that if we’re sick enough to miss Mass, there’s a good chance that we won’t have the energy even to watch it.

One is not obligated to attend mass when he/she is sick. It is certainly a good idea to stay away when one has any sort of contagious flu.

THis being said I would also say that since wachting mass on TV does not fulfill ones Sunday mass obligation it would not be any problem missing the TV mass when you are a sick or healthy condition.’

Peace:thumbsup:

I had the stomach flu on Christmas Eve a few years ago. I was well enough to lay on the sofa and watch Midnight Mass live from the Vatican, but I fell asleep during the homily and didn’t wake up until two hours later. Mass had ended, and EWTN was showing some Christmas claymation. Good grief, was I confused: “What’s wrong with St. Peter’s? Why does the Pope look funny?” :rolleyes:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

It probably won’t hurt, unless you need to be sleeping or it takes you someplace where you can get others sick. It’s definitely NOT a requirement or obligation…having said that, if it brings you up spiritually, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back