Homeschooling supplemental Curriculum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Moore11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moore11

Guest
Just looking for some supplemental Catholic Curriculum for second grade and kindergarten. Any suggestions? We use secular materials for most subjects but I would like to incorporate a religious subject as well.
 
Just looking for some supplemental Catholic Curriculum for second grade and kindergarten. Any suggestions? We use secular materials for most subjects but I would like to incorporate a religious subject as well.
There are a number of resources out there, I am more familiar with Canadian sources than US. The biggest resource for such religous materials here are with the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops and I would assume thier American counterparts would have the same.
 
Seton Home Study was the Catholic program I used. Many of the religion books are reprints of pre-Vatican II texts that I was taught from. Excellent program, and you don’t have to subscribe to the whole program, you can pick and choose which subjects you like.👍
 
Take a look at Catholic Heritage Curriculum, it is a very thorough curriculum but gentle and very Catholic. They have a beautiful website and their customer support is top notch, they will answer any questions you have. They offer 4-day lesson plans, roomy & spacious workbooks/books. They are really great! I have used them for 1st, 2nd & 6th grade last year and will continue with them this year. Their website www.chcweb.com.
 
If you want the best of the best you will want to try the Seton Home Study Program. It is an accredited curriculum. They have on staff Theologians, Historians, Counselors, at all levels, and many other professionals. I highly recommend their program and have personally used it from Kindergarten thru High-School, and have currently enrolled children (3). You may choose to purchase only their books and not the whole curriculum. It is a challenging and rigorous curriculum. I, myself, am learning along with my children. Their contact number can be found at their fabulous website. Setonhome.org God’s blessings to you and your family.
 
Son Light is not Catholic.

When you say you want to incorporate a “religious subject,” do you mean you want to teach religion? If so, I would recommend using the Ignatius Press series, “Faith and Life.” You can buy the book(s), or you could have your children take the course online - I think it’s called, “my Catholic faith delivered.” We use the actual books, and depending on whether you just want to read a little with them each week, or want to do full scale lesson plannings, you could just buy the student book, or also get the teacher’s manual.
ignatius.com/Products/CategoryCenter/3159/FaithandLifeThirdEdition.aspx

mycatholicfaithdelivered.com/home.aspx?pagename=FaithAndLife

For the Kindergarten level, Ignatius Press has a catechism series called “Image of God” that has a Kindergarten book - “Who Am I?”.
ignatius.com/IProducts/175610/who-am-i-kindergarten-teacher-workbook.aspx

I would recommend highly Catholic Heritage Curricula (CHC) also. Their second grade lesson plans, you will get a lovely Sacramental Preparation course. I’ve used this with my older 2 children, and plan to use it with my younger ones also when they get to 2nd grade.

If you’re looking for other subjects, but with a religious perspective, you could use other materials from Seton or CHC as well. Both have spelling and grammar programs, which have the Catholic life built into the exercises. Seton has Catholic history books, and CHC has Catholic science books and some really nice Catholic story books.

Otherwise, I would recommend getting a collection of religious books - the St. Joseph Picture books are great sacredheartbooksandgifts.com/index.php?m=4&s=0&mc=0&sc=0&pd=9780899423005, as are the Catholic Children’s Treasure Box series chcweb.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_162&products_id=300 . Either way, browse through the websites of both CHC and Seton, and you will probably find plenty to choose from.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top