Ok, Iāll start:
Weāre currently an agonizing four years and 10 miles from being able to move out onto some land. So, until then, Iāve been doing what I do best- researching!
Iāve found this awesome site on chickens:
gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/chickens.htm
It also links to sheep, which is another animal Iāve considered raising.
I have a totally stupid, greenhorn question, but Iāll ask it anyway-
If I keep a rooster, will ALL the chicken eggs be fertilized? Iāve read that you donāt have to keep one, that one of the hens will stop laying and take up ārooster dutiesā.
If I do keep a rooster, can I keep him away from the hens unless I want to breed them? Honestly, eggs make me queasy at their most sanitized (the eggs will be for the rest of my family who loves them!)- cracking into bloody fertilized ones might make me pass out.
Ok, so what do you know about eggs?
FMS