Homestuck fans anywhere?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gricken
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gricken

Guest
Anyone else here read it? I just started about a month ago and only got caught up this monday.

Any other fans?
 
Sorry, haven’t heard of Homestuck. This is a book? A series? What genre?
 
a massivly popular webcomic. In word count it’s almost as long as harry potter. It’s been out for 4 years and still updating. It’s mostly fantasy. It’s author has a very large vocbulary and is fond of playing with existing writing themes in interesting ways. It’s also an experiment in using the internet as a story telling media.
 
Well, who knew! Just googled this as well. Is it hard to get started in this with limited funds? My main problem with comic art is it is rather expensive for little text vs. graphic art so one who is a voracious reader can drop a lot of cash for short-term enjoyment. The storyline sounds interesting, though.

I may look into this more. My son is 16 with special needs, and I’m always looking for culturally appropriate things he might enjoy and be able to share with non-disabled folks. He doesn’t much like video games that rely on fast eye-hand coordination as that is a problem for him. But when he was younger, he enjoyed the Pokemon when he could collect and share cards, figurines, vids and chapter books. There’s a new comic hub in town and I was thinking of taking him there to see if anything captured his fancy.
 
Well, who knew! Just googled this as well. Is it hard to get started in this with limited funds? My main problem with comic art is it is rather expensive for little text vs. graphic art so one who is a voracious reader can drop a lot of cash for short-term enjoyment. The storyline sounds interesting, though.

I may look into this more. My son is 16 with special needs, and I’m always looking for culturally appropriate things he might enjoy and be able to share with non-disabled folks. He doesn’t much like video games that rely on fast eye-hand coordination as that is a problem for him. But when he was younger, he enjoyed the Pokemon when he could collect and share cards, figurines, vids and chapter books. There’s a new comic hub in town and I was thinking of taking him there to see if anything captured his fancy.
It doesn’t need any funds. Well, unless you want to buy the merchendise. It’s a WEBcomic. It’s made online, for free. As for worries about reading it fast, well I had nothing but free time and it took me a month to get caught up.

And I can totally understand that. I have Aspergers so I get why social interaction can be trouble for your son. This could definitly do the trick. Just the other day I saw 2 or 3 people wearing shirts related to the comic.
 
A web comic! Forgive me for sounding like a stupid old woman, but then… that’s what I am. Well not really stupid at all, but I AM old.

I am trying hard to keep an eye on what’s new and hip with kids for my son’s sake. He is a bit delayed (Down syndrome), and needs a bit of a push and guidance now and then or he’d still be watching Barney & Friends, you know? But with some ideas and inspiration, he fits in much better and enjoys a lot of stuff that typical kids do and thus fit in better.

He enjoys spending time doing more independent stuff a lot of time as social settings are more difficult for him. He enjoys being with people a lot, its just a bit harder and takes more work and energy for him to navigate. I appreciate the fact that you also “get” this!

I never even knew there was such a thing as free online comics that had gone beyond the small local indie stage. This would be a great idea. He enjoys anime art. His other interests are karate and mixed martial arts (he spars and has a brown belt), music, sports, Disney teen stars (vote for anyone other than Zendaya on Dancing with the Stars and risk his wrath), rock stars and of course girl watching. He also likes opera and Justin Bieber (go figure).

Thank you for giving me the heads up on this! I hope you find some others on this board who are already into this media phenomena and can discuss it with you.
 
A web comic! Forgive me for sounding like a stupid old woman, but then… that’s what I am. Well not really stupid at all, but I AM old.

I am trying hard to keep an eye on what’s new and hip with kids for my son’s sake. He is a bit delayed (Down syndrome), and needs a bit of a push and guidance now and then or he’d still be watching Barney & Friends, you know? But with some ideas and inspiration, he fits in much better and enjoys a lot of stuff that typical kids do and thus fit in better.

He enjoys spending time doing more independent stuff a lot of time as social settings are more difficult for him. He enjoys being with people a lot, its just a bit harder and takes more work and energy for him to navigate. I appreciate the fact that you also “get” this!

I never even knew there was such a thing as free online comics that had gone beyond the small local indie stage. This would be a great idea. He enjoys anime art. His other interests are karate and mixed martial arts (he spars and has a brown belt), music, sports, Disney teen stars (vote for anyone other than Zendaya on Dancing with the Stars and risk his wrath), rock stars and of course girl watching. He also likes opera and Justin Bieber (go figure).

Thank you for giving me the heads up on this! I hope you find some others on this board who are already into this media phenomena and can discuss it with you.
Always happy to help. You can find it on the website mspaadventures.
 
And now I am reading it.

What is this madness? 😛

Looks interesting, anyway. 🙂
 
OK, I’m still in the “what is this, I don’t even” phase, but it’s still interesting, so I intend to continue.

Do you like any other webcomics, Gricken? My favorites are Romantically Apocalyptic and xkcd. I also keep up with Girl Genius, but the plot is WAY to complicated and I never have any idea what’s going on. :o
 
OK, I’m still in the “what is this, I don’t even” phase, but it’s still interesting, so I intend to continue.

Do you like any other webcomics, Gricken? My favorites are Romantically Apocalyptic and xkcd. I also keep up with Girl Genius, but the plot is WAY to complicated and I never have any idea what’s going on. :o
You think THAT plot is too complicated? You’re gonna want to keep notes for this one.

Anyways. I enjoy xkcd. I’ve heard of girl genius but never read it.
 
You think THAT plot is too complicated? You’re gonna want to keep notes for this one.

Anyways. I enjoy xkcd. I’ve heard of girl genius but never read it.
Girl genius’s main problem is that you have to keep track of 50+ characters with little ‘screen time’ who all have different goals and ambitions. I mostly can’t keep track of which person is trying to do what and why.

Perhaps I should take notes, if this is the same way. :o
 
Girl genius’s main problem is that you have to keep track of 50+ characters with little ‘screen time’ who all have different goals and ambitions. I mostly can’t keep track of which person is trying to do what and why.

Perhaps I should take notes, if this is the same way. :o
Maybe I’ll read it sometime.
 
→ Retrieve Arms.

→ Give fellow Hamsteak a fistbump.

So…how how are you handling the hiatus and do you have a Tumblr? 😃
 
→ Retrieve Arms.

→ Give fellow Hamsteak a fistbump.

So…how how are you handling the hiatus and do you have a Tumblr? 😃
AH FINALLY! fistbump My friend is asking me to make one. I plan too once I get my new computer. I’m handling it pretty well. I keep myself busy with other stuff.
 
When you do, make sure you are following the locationstuck tags for your area (nycstuck, njstuck, michigenstuck, etc) so that you can meet other fans locally. Probably not going to a particularly Catholic bunch though. I’m not in the habit of asking total strangers their faith background but you are the first Catholic Homestuck I’ve come across.

So how did you get interested in this? I know the first act is a bit of a slog compared to what comes later. I started reading for the sake of cultural literacy. I kept mistaking Dave Strider for someone from Scott Pilgrim and I didn’t realize the troll costumes I saw at my local con were actual characters. Between all the different clothes and alternate fan universes I thought a “homestuck troll” was a personal avatar that had to agree with certain rules of design. I know better now.

Anyway, I spent the last few weeks of pregnancy reading everything. Cascade was released about a week before my Peanut was born. I was able to start Act 6 with everyone else and since then my husband and I are pretty hooked and looking forward to riding this wave to the end.
 
When you do, make sure you are following the locationstuck tags for your area (nycstuck, njstuck, michigenstuck, etc) so that you can meet other fans locally. Probably not going to a particularly Catholic bunch though. I’m not in the habit of asking total strangers their faith background but you are the first Catholic Homestuck I’ve come across.

So how did you get interested in this? I know the first act is a bit of a slog compared to what comes later. I started reading for the sake of cultural literacy. I kept mistaking Dave Strider for someone from Scott Pilgrim and I didn’t realize the troll costumes I saw at my local con were actual characters. Between all the different clothes and alternate fan universes I thought a “homestuck troll” was a personal avatar that had to agree with certain rules of design. I know better now.

Anyway, I spent the last few weeks of pregnancy reading everything. Cascade was released about a week before my Peanut was born. I was able to start Act 6 with everyone else and since then my husband and I are pretty hooked and looking forward to riding this wave to the end.
Well my friend told me I should read it. I had said no for a long time. But I had made er read and watch a bunch of stuff so I kinda owed her. So one morning where school started lare I decided “alright let’s see what this is about” as I went through it my expression went from confusion, so shock, to awe.

Then one day at school I was reading it during lunch and a friend of mine who I haven’t talked to in like a month walks up behind me at school and says “oh! You’re on act 6?” Apparently the look on my face was priceless. She was able to guess my facorite character (Karkat) simply “because he’s the biggest git”

So that’s been my experience with it.
 
Karkat has some of the best scenes. I think that one chat where he’s discussing his feelings with his future self up to the point where he IS the future self and has to continue sorting them out with his past self is still my favorite chat log in the whole story. Just that transition from sad to enraged to calm over parallel lines was really clever. I love time shinanegins like that.

Rose’s Mom, and her spoilerly counterpart, is probably my favorite character. Ever since Rose had that competition with her mom over who could be the most passive aggressive I was sold. I despise passive aggression but I do love watching cooler heads prevail over those who can’t control their emotions.

And Terezi. I love Terezi. I hope she gets out of her rut soon.
 
Anyone else here read it? I just started about a month ago and only got caught up this monday.

Any other fans?
hello i’m a teenage girl that has read the whole of the current updates, twice actually and i’ll will try to make this as much spoiler free as i can. so homestuck is not exactly described as ‘easy to read’ with lots of made-up words like ‘Mobius Double Reach around’, ‘blood caste’ (which is like the troll version of royalty)

there is a lot of swearing and innuendo’s but NEVER any nudity also there is a completely different race called ‘TROLLS’ **LET ME TELL YOU NOW THAT THESE ARE NOT DEMONS OR DEVILS IN ANYWAY ** they are simply aliens from a planet called Alternia just because they have grey skin and orange horns and eyes doesn’t make them evil in anyway. trust me i have tumblr and I’ve seen many blogs about hoe ‘‘homestuck is a sin’’ and yadidadida but no most of the people that assume homestuck is evil skipped the whole comic to act 5 (the trolls are introduced here) so they haven’t read the whole plot line and are only judging them because of the way they look. Also this comic has a lot of flash images and mini flash games that could cause or trigger epilepsy. Most people would normaly stay away from homestuck fans because they dont accually have the best reputation due to the cosplayers invading anime/comic conventions but trust me you dont want to get on the bad side of the fandom it is also probably the most intense and complicated plot line EVER i already have at least 6 different charts telling me all the creations creations the characters did in the ectobiology labs and family charts. here i will show you some quotes from homestuck
(all the trolls have different quirks you have to deal with like leet speek, inverted grammar, slurs, triggers, not even speaking at all, spelling mistakes ect.)
  1. difficulty (john) :
    ‘‘It is your thirteenth birthday, and as with all twelve preceding it, something feels missing from your life. The game presently eluding you is only the latest sleight of hand in the repertoire of an unseen riddler, one to engender a sense not of mirth, but of lack. His coarse schemes are those less of a prankster than a common pickpocket. His riddle is Absence itself. It is a mystery dispersing altogether’’
  2. inuendo’s (dave) :
    ‘‘and i want to know exactly when i got to clear some space in my calendar for when some ****wit blunders out of a magical phone booth and makes a ballad-inspiring play for my throbbing beef truncheon’’
  3. blood caste(this troll is really strong and fetishizes horses):
    ‘‘Equius: Seek the highb100d.’’
4.leet speak (this troll is blind) :
‘’ TH1S 1S STUP1D 1N SUCH 4 T3RR1BL3 MYR14D OF DUMB W4YS
YOU SHOULDNT B3 4FR41D OF 4NYON3’’

5.inverted grammar(this troll is paraplegic) :
‘‘iF YOU DIDN’T LISTEN TO HIM BEFORE,
yOU MIGHT HAVE PLAYED GAMES WITH US BEFORE,
aND SOMETHING BAD MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED TO YOU,’’
  1. slurs, mistakes, quirk, leet (this troll has brain damage):
    ‘’ 817H1CH WH4Y D0N7 Y0U 5H00V3 M0Y R4D 1NJURJY P4N3L 1N7H0 URR N457H7Y 53XXXU4L3 PR1V457 P4R7H 0RF P3R3RF3R3R4NC3’’
  2. this troll is mute
    ‘’ :o) (thats litrelly all he writes)’’
8.this troll is deaf
‘’(^-人-^) < IT’S REALLY B33N OVERWHELMING, I CAN’T EVEN…’’

all the trolls have something wrong with them…but this is good because no one is perfect 🙂

hope i helped 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top