Homosexuality

• Thread starter Thread starter _pro-life_teen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

_pro-life_teen

Hi,
I was wondering how to explain the Church’s teaching on homosexuality to one of my friends in a way that won’t make her hate the Church. She thinks it’s an issue of the Church being judgmental and exclusionary and that it is wrong to “condemn them to a life of unchosen celibacy.” I’ve tried to explain why I agreed with the Church’s position, but obviously did a bad job, so any help on this matter would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Homosexual persons are not necessarily called to celibacy but rather to chastity as are we all. The Church recognizes that homosexuality is a disorder (see CCC 2357) and, while the desires are not in themselves sinful, acting out on them is clearly offensive to God (see Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

It is appropriate to judge acting out on homosexual desires as wrong. But far from being "exclusionary”, the Church teaches that homosexual persons “must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.” (CCC 2358)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back