Horoscopes and sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter Makerteacher
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Makerteacher

Please help me find a way to explain to my 7th grade students why the daily horoscope is a bad idea for them. The issue came up today in a discussion in class and I was only just starting to address is when the bell rang. One student insisted that reading horoscopes “as entertainment only” was not a problem. The same student claimed that using Ouiji boards or Tarot cards could also be “just for fun,” and when I disagreed just shook their heads as me. I believe this is dangerous ground, the proverbial “slippery slope.” I know that Scripture tells us to avoid witchcraft/sorcery etc., and its trappings, and also to fill our minds with those things which a pure and true and good.

Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) instructs us: “All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.”

I see nothing entertaining about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back