S
soonersvi
Guest
At Mass we kneel at the rail to receive communion on the tongue. The railings have a white cover placed over them when communion takes place. Today, the priest made the sign of the cross with the host while saying the blessing. The host slipped out of the priest’s hand and landed on the railing. Father picked the host up, held it over the chalice, blessed it again and placed it on the tongue of the intended recipient. The person took communion, crossed himself and got up. I kneeled and my husband just stood beside me. The priest turned to the altar boy who was holding the paten, said something to him and took the paten. The altar boy got an altar cloth, gave it to the priest, and Father placed it over the area where the host fell. My husband knelt and we went on with communion.
Usually, after communion is finished, two of the altar boys will uncover the railings. Today they did not. I asked my husband, a cradle catholic, what the priest was going to do. He said that after mass ended, the priest would carefully inspect the area where the host fell and if any remained, place it in the chalice or on the paten. He would wipe it with his fingers and put it in his mouth as he would during communion. He would then use holy water to wipe the area, remove the cloth to have it washed and pour the holy water down a special drain that exits into the earth instead of the sewer.
I apologize for the length of this post. I felt it was something that needed to be shared. Has an experience like this happened to anyone else?
Usually, after communion is finished, two of the altar boys will uncover the railings. Today they did not. I asked my husband, a cradle catholic, what the priest was going to do. He said that after mass ended, the priest would carefully inspect the area where the host fell and if any remained, place it in the chalice or on the paten. He would wipe it with his fingers and put it in his mouth as he would during communion. He would then use holy water to wipe the area, remove the cloth to have it washed and pour the holy water down a special drain that exits into the earth instead of the sewer.
I apologize for the length of this post. I felt it was something that needed to be shared. Has an experience like this happened to anyone else?