Houston, we have a problem

• Thread starter Thread starter joeybaggz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joeybaggz

I’m sure somewhere in the past on this forum this question has been asked, but if not, I am interested in responses.

Situation, At Mass, you see people you know are not of the Roman Catholic faith, attempting to receive Communion.

What do/should you do?
  1. Get out your taser gun and make sure the heathen doesn’t defile the Blessed Sacrament?
  2. Approach them, inform them of ‘policy’, and ask them to cease and desist?
  3. Allow them to receive communion and after Mass bring the situation to the attention of the priest.
  4. Allow them to receive and speak to them privately after Mass
  5. Nothing

If they are not your own guests, you are not responsible for them.

One thing you can do for the future is mention to the priest that there are many Protestant visitors at your church who don’t seem to be aware of the fact that they are not supposed to be receiving Holy Communion, and ask him whether it might be a good idea to put something in the pews that informs people in a gentle way about Catholic policy.

As an EMHC, we were trained that if someone came up thru the line, we pretty much had to give them Communion. At that point, it’s on them. I have stopped people from “dipping,” and if it’s a small child, I look at the adult the’re with really quick to see if they nod “no” or “yes” or something.

I guess if it was something totally obvious, like those people in San Francisco a while back, but other than that, all I can do is tell the priest about it afterward.

I’m sure somewhere in the past on this forum this question has been asked, but if not, I am interested in responses.

Situation, At Mass, you see people you know are not of the Roman Catholic faith, attempting to receive Communion.

What do/should you do?
  1. Get out your taser gun and make sure the heathen doesn’t defile the Blessed Sacrament?
  2. Approach them, inform them of ‘policy’, and ask them to cease and desist?
  3. Allow them to receive communion and after Mass bring the situation to the attention of the priest.
  4. Allow them to receive and speak to them privately after Mass
  5. Nothing

Thanks so far.

I do hope you realize that # 1 is just for a chuckle. 🙂 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back