J
jinc1019
Guest
I have been investigating the Catholic claims of papal authority, and while I am willing to admit that the office of “Head of the Church” was held by Peter and has been held by his successors, I am still very unsure of precisely how much power and authority this office holds. I have read many of the Early Church Fathers, Catholic apologists (like Scott Hahn, Steve Ray, and Brant Pitre), and numerous Eastern Orthodox apologists on the issue as well. The conclusion I have come to is that Peter’s successors definitely have a place of primacy, but what exactly that means and how much authority the Catholic Church claims about the Pope and the bishops in communion with him are entirely different matters.
Can those of you who are more educated than I PLEASE address the issue of HOW MUCH authority the Pope has as the “first among equals” and PRECISELY WHAT the OFFICIAL Catholic documents say on the matter?
How absolute is the Pope’s authority? Can he, completely on his own, choose to define and discipline on matters of “faith and morals”?
Ideally, I would like to be pointed to specific official documents, councils, etc.
Can those of you who are more educated than I PLEASE address the issue of HOW MUCH authority the Pope has as the “first among equals” and PRECISELY WHAT the OFFICIAL Catholic documents say on the matter?
How absolute is the Pope’s authority? Can he, completely on his own, choose to define and discipline on matters of “faith and morals”?
Ideally, I would like to be pointed to specific official documents, councils, etc.