How accurate are the pregnancy test?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cristyd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cristyd

Guest
Maybe my question is crazy but we are over excited. I did a test on Saturday because the period still didn’t came and was positiv. I did one again today because my husband just couldn’t believe it. And i have another in my purse for tommorrow. Tommorrow we will call also the doctor but i don’t know when she will be free to see me and i’m dying of excitemenet.
 
It’s possible to get a false negative response if taken too early. However,a positive is assured accuracy,since the horomones indicative of a pregnancy have to be present for this to occur. Congats!🙂 I’m not a dr. so yes,keep your appt. to make sure all is o.k.
 
I think we are the only people who have never used a pregnancy test! I am pregnant and knew immediately, and spending money on a test to confirm what my body was saying seemed silly.

However…I hear the tests are very accurate! Congratulations!!!
 
I’d say very accurate! We got our positive at only 10dpo, and false positives are likely but multiple false positives aren’t as likely!

Sounds like the real thing to me!!
Congratulations!!
 
I was always told that false positives are very uncommon and it’s far more common to get a false negative simply from testing too early.

Those tests are quite accurate…there really is no need to re-test if you got a positive…just call the doctor!

Although, I understand if you do retest…I know I did! 😃

Congrats BTW!
 
Congrats! My wife always takes 2-3 tests, and her doctor always asks her why on earth she does because it makes no sense to take a second one if you get a positive the first time. I tend to go with her doctor on matters like this.
 
They say no matter how faint the positive is, it’s still a positive. I knew before ever taking a pregnancy test that I was pregnant but I had taken many so that I can prove it to myself and my husband. They came out negative at first because I was testing so early, then I eventually got that positive. I think I might’ve taken somewhere around 10 total tests at that time lol. I was going pregnancy test crazy! It may also help to buy the one that says “pregnant” or “not pregnant”. I can’t remember the brand (clear blue maybe?). Anyways, Congrats on your positive! You’re going to absolutely LOVE this 9 month journey! It’s been the best experience of my life! 😃
 
It may also help to buy the one that says “pregnant” or “not pregnant”. I can’t remember the brand (clear blue maybe?).
One potential pitfall with this type of test is something my wife & I uncovered with our last baby. I don’t know if it’s due to light exposure or what, but a few days after she took the test and got that “pregnant” result, she looked at it again and the “not” was coming in ever so slightly. A couple days after that it was even darker. She was certain it indicated a problem, so I ended up running out late at night to buy more pregnancy tests.
 
One potential pitfall with this type of test is something my wife & I uncovered with our last baby. I don’t know if it’s due to light exposure or what, but a few days after she took the test and got that “pregnant” result, she looked at it again and the “not” was coming in ever so slightly. A couple days after that it was even darker. She was certain it indicated a problem, so I ended up running out late at night to buy more pregnancy tests.
Oh wow! I knew that after a few days the message would disappear completely but I had no idea it could give a different message altogether. Hope it all worked out for you both in the end 🙂
 
Congratulations. You’re going to have a baby!!!
Welcome to the club.

you can now ask your priest to bless the baby while still in the Womb. There’s a new Rite of Blessing for a baby in the Womb. It’s lovely and a great idea. You should ask you priest as soon as you’re willing to tell other people.

I feel that as the first trimester is the most dangerous for your baby that the sooner you do this the better. even if it’s done privately.

You can get the text from the USCCB website.
 
The most common way to see a “false positive” on a home pregnancy test is this:

-Test manufacturers always give instructions to read the results of the test within a certain time frame (e.g. some brands say within 3 minutes, some say 5 minutes, some say as long as 10 minutes). If you take the test and then wait much longer than the time frame to read the result, you may see a faded “line” where a positive result would be. This is called an evaporation line.

When my husband and I were trying for our first baby, this happened to us. I took the test, left it, ate dinner, watched tv for a bit, then remembered the test. I went back to read it and saw a faint second line. I got my period a couple of days later. We did get pregnant the fllowing cycle, though.

If you saw the positive result within the right time frame, no matter how faint that result is, it’s likely a potivie result, and congratulations are in order!
 
Well, that is exciting, yes! You’re not quite off the pier yet, but if you followed package directions carefully that is good news!

The tests are quite accurate, but not perfect. There is also finite rate of miscarriage that is much higher in the first few weeks. I don’t mean a lot, but estimates are between 10-25% in the very early stages. These would be events that might easily have gone unnoticed in former times when they didn’t have these tests. There are various reasons, but in short there is a lot of dividing going on, the implantation doesn’t always happen correctly, and sometimes the baby didn’t have a chromosomal package consistent with a longer life. When a pregnancy goes right, which it usually does, a LOT has gone right! The hazards of a biological misstep, while less likely than otherwise, are much higher in the first 13 weeks, no matter what the mother does. Still, you are looking at something like an 70-80% likelihood that you do have a viable pregnancy started!

IOW, while you don’t know you’re successfully pregnant quite yet, you do know enough to take extra precautions with your own self care. Your chances are excellent!!! Not a sure thing, but excellent!!!

You can’t ever go wrong with taking very good care of yourself when you may be pregnant! If you weren’t pregnant after all, and just have a delayed period, you will have your health in the best shape for the next ovulation. You will probably do the best if you wait until you are 13 weeks in before you share the news with any but your closest (and most discrete) circle, though. Somewhere around that time, you may have people guessing, anyway, so then you can let your secret out!
 
One potential pitfall with this type of test is something my wife & I uncovered with our last baby. I don’t know if it’s due to light exposure or what, but a few days after she took the test and got that “pregnant” result, she looked at it again and the “not” was coming in ever so slightly. A couple days after that it was even darker. She was certain it indicated a problem, so I ended up running out late at night to buy more pregnancy tests.
Me too, last baby it said pregnant and then a few days later it went blank.

I dropped a digital test once and it broke open. It’s complicated technology in there! Batteries, wires etc.:eek:
 
Well i have confirmation from doctor that i am in 5 weeks:D. Next check in 2 weeks, she gave me floci acid and some pills to reduce the risk of lossing the pregnancy. But she found i have some high level of sugar so now must go on diet. I hope now that everything will be ok.
 
Congratulations to you and your husband! May God bless you with an easy pregnancy and a smooth birth. St. Gerard, pray for cristyd and her baby.
 
Well i have confirmation from doctor that i am in 5 weeks:D. Next check in 2 weeks, she gave me floci acid and some pills to reduce the risk of lossing the pregnancy. But she found i have some high level of sugar so now must go on diet. I hope now that everything will be ok.
:extrahappy:Congratulations!!! Such wonderful news!!!
 
Well i have confirmation from doctor that i am in 5 weeks:D. Next check in 2 weeks, she gave me floci acid and some pills to reduce the risk of lossing the pregnancy. But she found i have some high level of sugar so now must go on diet. I hope now that everything will be ok.
I might possibly be pregnant and If I am I would be around the same as you 5 weeks. I did take a few tests but they all came out negative however I didn’t have a period at all the whole month of July. I did get a blood test a couple of days ago but I won’t find out the results until Aug 14.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top