How Accurate is this Summary on Hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thunderbolt94
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thunderbolt94

Guest
Hey,

I was hoping I could a second opinion on this blogpost that was made as a response to a friend of mine who were having a discussion on whether or not Christianity teaches that Hell is a literal hell and brimstone place of eternal torture. Here is the blogpost:

I write this now as a partial rebuttal to a “discussion” that occurred within a post on a friends status update on facebook.

At this moment in time it’s really hard for me to actually come up with a definitive counter-argument as the person of which I am opposed keeps changing the argument.
Originally it was that Hell was not a Christian concept, then that it was not a world of fire and brimstone, and then the argument turned into Hell not being a world of torture and in a separate thread a reference to the discussion was made which the aforementioned opponent states that “Hell does not appear in early Christian texts” (This thread has since been deleted so I can’t make reference to it any more)
Also, the opposition made comment that, and quote: “reading into them as would a fundamentalist would, which they shouldn’t be read into at all.”, the “them” in said quote are passages from the King James Bible which clearly indicate Hell as being a place of fire and torture.

To be quite fair, I’m no theologist, I don’t spend my days studying Biblical literature to try and unearth all the different ways in which one can interpret the passages so I’m bound to look at it from a fundamentalist view.
Also, I want to add that even todays scholars may be interpreting the texts wrong so it is hard to see the true meaning behind them if several meanings can exist within a single passage.

On top of this, One should NOT read into the Bible anyway, it was never designed to be the be all and end all of moral scripture, it’s (to me) a set of fables that try and encourage a decent moral framework, much like modern day fairy tales are used. In addition to entertaining, they educate, sadly people look too deep into them and take nothing away from it but a one sided and often prejudiced opinion.

Instead of trying to argue my point against someone who is too blind and ignorant to accept what it presented to him, instead I am simply going to look at the evolution of the concept of Hell.

I’m going to start as far back as I possibly can with this, which in my opinion is the grandfather of modern western religion… Greek Mythology.
There are many reasons as to why I believe that (One namely being the image of God looking like Zues who became Jupiter under Roman beliefs which the Christian faiths amalgamated into their own system as they have done with countless other religions) but first we’re going to look at Hades.
Now, Hades as a place was neither a place of fire or eternal torment, it was gloomy depressing underworld similar to what the majority of modern scholars believe purgatory to be like. Now Hades actually has nothing to do with Hell, but remember this post because I shall be referring back to it later.
Now then, the real reason I bring the Greek mythology into play is because of Tartarus, another gloomy underworld world that WAS a place of punishment, but I want to note that the inhabitants of Tartarus were rarely dead, they were very much alive for the most part. Their lives prolonged unnaturally so that them may suffer eternally (Think of Prometheus having his innards pecked out each day)
Now from here we move into the Roman mythologies of old, which are basically the Greek myths with different names.
It is here that Tartarus became a fiery world of punishment as it is surrounded by the flaming river Phlegethon and triple walls to prevent sinners from escaping from it, meaning it is more a place for the dead than those who wrong the Gods to receive their punishment.
The wronging of God theme actually carries over into Biblical scripture as does Tartarus itself when the archangel Uriel is placed in charge of Tarturus and 200 fallen angels that are imprisoned there (Book of Enoch 20:2)

From the concept of Tartarus, Gehenna is born and Jesus often speaks of “Gehenna” of “the unquenchable fire” reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost. (This is the Roman Catholic view)

I could bring into play Sheol, the underworld of Hebrew faith, which was referenced in the the discussion, but after looking into it I feel it has no weight within the topic as it mirrors more Sumerian and Babylonian trains of thought, as was the way at the time.
Back to Gehenna though, and keeping in line with Hebrew thought, Gehenna is a Hellenised version of the Hebrew Hinnom, which is both a name and a place in the Levant. It was here that King Ahaz burnt his children in fire, and made other profane offerings.
Often this valley is referred to as the valley of “the sons of Hinnom,” or Ben-Hinnom in Hebrew. References to Gehenna, then, generally allude to the fires of profane sacrificial practices.
The implication is that someone who is burned in Gehenna is being offered up to some other God — or to no God.
This is the word most commonly used in the New Testament as “hell.” Note that in ancient Judaism, even in the Hellenised Judaism of the 1st century, the crime of King Ahaz was still regarded with some horror — thus, the name of Gehenna was treated with trepidation and fear.
 
So with the amalgamation of Roman and Hebrew ideals placed within Christianity, the concept of Hell as a place of fire and torment was born.
Now, do you remember I mentioned Hades? Well to some Biblical scholars and interpretation, it is believed that Jesus descended into Hades to free all the souls that were bound there and ultimately ending the reign of the old gods.
This notion, if anything binds the beliefs of new and old into one over-arching narrative giving credence to the idea that Tartarus, a dungeon used by the gods of old became Hell… A prison to the sinners of today and the fallen angels who rose up against God in a rebellion and became demons.There is so much more I can say and I’ll even admit that there is a lot I have missed, but I’m not here to write a book on the subject, my intent was to show that this concept of Hell in some form has existed for a long while and rather than dying out with the rest of mythology, it has grown and evolved and will most likely be a concept open to discussion for many centuries to come."

Part of me finds parts of it inaccurate, but I’m hoping to get a second opinion. Thoughts?
 
So with the amalgamation of Roman and Hebrew ideals placed within Christianity, the concept of Hell as a place of fire and torment was born.
Now, do you remember I mentioned Hades? Well to some Biblical scholars and interpretation, it is believed that Jesus descended into Hades to free all the souls that were bound there and ultimately ending the reign of the old gods.
This notion, if anything binds the beliefs of new and old into one over-arching narrative giving credence to the idea that Tartarus, a dungeon used by the gods of old became Hell… A prison to the sinners of today and the fallen angels who rose up against God in a rebellion and became demons.There is so much more I can say and I’ll even admit that there is a lot I have missed, but I’m not here to write a book on the subject, my intent was to show that this concept of Hell in some form has existed for a long while and rather than dying out with the rest of mythology, it has grown and evolved and will most likely be a concept open to discussion for many centuries to come."

Part of me finds parts of it inaccurate, but I’m hoping to get a second opinion. Thoughts?
Wow, I wish I knew were to start. He has mashed together so many ideas into one really, really big misinterpretation on Judeo-Christian History. Sorry, I don’t mean to insult your friend, but there is a lot here to explain.

Sheol was the place souls went after death, because Heaven was closed due to the sin of Adam. It had 3 parts, Abraham’s bosom, the prison and the pit. Everyone went there, but it was neither heaven nor hell. It was a place of waiting. (Abraham’s bosom and the pit are clearly described in the parable of Lazarus. The prison would require some research into Jewish texts - I wish I could remember which). When Jesus died on the cross, he opened the gates of Heaven and descended into Sheol (presumably Abraham’s bosom) and brought forth the saints who could now enter heaven. I don’t know off the top of my head of any description as to where those in the pit went. The Greek Hades is really the same word as Sheol, but don’t let that bother you, the concept extends pretty far back in Judaism and pre-dates the Greek-ified Jews of the first century. Not sure where he gets “ending the reign of the old gods”. He did end the reign of Satan and the rebellious angels. That, I guess, is similar although Satan hardly qualifies as “god” Also, Paul clearly states that false “gods” are actually demons (satan and the rebellious angels) in Cor 10:20. So, maybe I’d give him a pass on that.

The understanding of an afterlife did develop over time. There is really no mention in the first 5 books of the old testament. The Saducees (who only accepted the those 5 as scripture) challenged Jesus on the concept of an afterlife (Matt 22:23-33) As God slowly revealed his plan, the Israelites slowly understood the concept of Heaven, Hell and Resurrection of the dead over centuries. Much more is covered in later books of the Bible. However, all Old Testament books pre-date Greek influence.
On top of this, One should NOT read into the Bible anyway, it was never designed to be the be all and end all of moral scripture, it’s (to me) a set of fables that try and encourage a decent moral framework, much like modern day fairy tales are used.
hmmm… Much of the Bible is also literal history that can be cross referenced with other books and writings from other civilizations, as well. However, some is not intended to be read as a literal history as we do today. It helps to understand the culture and the intent of the authors.

God saying “Thou Shalt Not…” is much more than encouraging a “decent moral framework” however. Unless you think God didn’t mean it.

His statement is a framework for “all religions are the same- they just have nice platitudes and stories to convince you to lead a moral life”. People I know with that attitude haven’t actually read the Bible - they assume they know what is in it.

Christianity as a religion was actually very unique for the region and time. All civilizations had a love your friends and hate your enemies mentality. Christianity actually made the claim that you should love your enemies. It doesn’t sound that controversial now. At the time that was shocking. You protected your tribe from outsiders, you didn’t help them.

Most religions had a belief that you could go to a temple and by making a sacrifice or saying the exact right words with the right tone in your voice or even by making one god jealous of another - you could manipulate the “gods” to do your will. Jesus soundly condemns those ideas (in common practice among the Greeks and Romans) and instead suggests that God is your Father. Blasphemy to many Jews. Ridiculous to many Greeks. A completely unique concept. Not, God is like a father. God is your Father. God as a good father will give you what you need, not necessarily what you want, but what you need - because he loves you.
Gehenna is born and Jesus often speaks of “Gehenna” of “the unquenchable fire” reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost. (This is the Roman Catholic view)
Actually, neither is “lost” the spend eternity in hell, body and soul. In the same way, you spend eternity in heaven body and soul if you are saved.
 
even in the Hellenised Judaism of the 1st century, the crime of King Ahaz was still regarded with some horror — thus, the name of Gehenna was treated with trepidation and fear.
What your friend is missing is that Gehenna (the Valley of Himmon’s son) was actually a place bordering the southwest corner of Jerusalem. It was a valley that was used as a trash dump. It was originally used as a place of child sacrifice to the “god” molach. (yes this was King Ahaz’s crime as well.). This made it unfit for anything other than burning trash from the city. It was continuously on fire as they burned trash from the city day and night and it had a horrible stench about it. Jesus’ reference to it as a description of Hell was something very tangible to the Jews of the first century. They could see it and smell it anytime they approached Jerusalem from the South. It was NOT someplace they would want to be.
Also, I want to add that even todays scholars may be interpreting the texts wrong so it is hard to see the true meaning behind them if several meanings can exist within a single passage.
True, there are some scholars today that are way out there. However, scripture can have multiple meanings. They are complimentary and not exclusive. It should draw you into a deeper relationship with God. Also, that is why there is a need for a “Church” to serve as an authoritative guide as to what interpretations are valid and what are misguided. Also, you need to be sure you’re not getting your theology from the Discovery Channel.

In general, your friend has done a lot of good research, but I think his conclusions are off base. I know this is scattered. I probably should re-do this in small chunks. I hope it helps.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top