How are the daily readings chosen?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alex1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex1

Guest
I know there’re four readings; OT, Psalms, Paul, and the Gospel; but how are they arranged?
  • Why are they in the order they’re in? Is it random, or does it correspond to something?
  • Are the daily readings for a given day the same for each year?
  • I notice the ‘A’ reading is Matthew, ‘B’ is Mark, and ‘C’ is Luke. Where’s John?
 
I know there’re four readings; OT, Psalms, Paul, and the Gospel; but how are they arranged?
  • Why are they in the order they’re in? Is it random, or does it correspond to something?
  • Are the daily readings for a given day the same for each year?
  • I notice the ‘A’ reading is Matthew, ‘B’ is Mark, and ‘C’ is Luke. Where’s John?
Sunday readings are on a three-year cycle (A, B, C). Weekday readings are on a two-year cycle (I, II).

On Sundays and weekdays, the Gospels are read sequentially, for the most part.

On Sundays, the First Reading is thematically related to the Gospel; the Psalm is a thematic response to the First Reading; and the Second Reading is usually sequentially taken from the epistles.

On weekdays, the First Reading is usually sequentially taken from a book of Scripture.

Check out this page for details.

John’s Gospel is read along with Mark’s in Year B.
 
John’s Gospel is read throughout all 3 years. Usually this is at the end of Lent, and during Easter- also, the readings on the Holy Eucharist/Bread of Life after the 16th Sunday of Ordinary Time are taken from John.
 
\ I know there’re four readings; OT, Psalms, Paul, and the Gospel; but how are they arranged?\

**Psalm verses are used throught the services of the Church, especially the Mass. The resposorial Psalm after the OT reading is NOT a reading, or the recitation of a Psalm as in the Divine Office, but is a response to the first Reading.

The Epistle is not necessary from a Pauline Epistle.

**
 
I know there’re four readings; OT, Psalms, Paul, and the Gospel; but how are they arranged?
  • Why are they in the order they’re in? Is it random, or does it correspond to something?
  • Are the daily readings for a given day the same for each year?
  • I notice the ‘A’ reading is Matthew, ‘B’ is Mark, and ‘C’ is Luke. Where’s John?
So confusing, right? And do people know more Scripture now than they did 40 years ago?

I really wish we could all go back to having readings for Sundays and Feast Days (and votive Masses) only. People should hear the most important scriptures repeatedly and regularly, and actually associate them with liturgical mysteries, so they can be learned.

For those who want more Scripture, why does it have to be forced into the Mass in such an awkward Sunday A/B/C Weekday I/II cycle catastrophe? People should read the Bible at home, pray the Office, and go to Bible studies.

Okay, end rant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top