How are we suppose to avoid anti-catholic liturature?

• Thread starter Thread starter ridesawhitehors
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ridesawhitehors

Today I was reading in one of my favorite books, “The Faith Explained”, that we as catholics are suppose to avoid anti-catholic liturature. I have also read in a little catechism on the sacrament of pennance that it is sinful to read such material.

However, I find myself very attracted to reading this sort of material because it sharpens my mind as a catholic apologist.
What is the intent of such directives, and how are we suppose to apply them?
Were these instructions formed to protect only those who are weak in their faith?

Deception can sometimes be hard to see.
For someone, not strong in their faith, “Imputed Rightousness” can easily seem valid, and that is going to be presented in a lot of anti-Catholic materials. It may not seem anti-Catholic when reading, but it can be dangerous.

That’s not to say you will always recognise something that is anti-Catholic, when you first start reading.

Scott aka bigsierra

OK, this is news to me. It kind of makes it hard for our favorite Catholic apologists to do their work if they are not out there defending the faith against lies. After all, would reading the lies be sin?

I would like to hear more on this …

I would have to think that is for young Catholics, still learning their faith.

Note - In my previous post, I was only listing one of many things that could be out there.

Scott aka bigsierra

40.png
ridesawhitehors:
Today I was reading in one of my favorite books, “The Faith Explained”, that we as catholics are suppose to avoid anti-catholic liturature. I have also read in a little catechism on the sacrament of pennance that it is sinful to read such material.

However, I find myself very attracted to reading this sort of material because it sharpens my mind as a catholic apologist.
What is the intent of such directives, and how are we suppose to apply them?
Were these instructions formed to protect only those who are weak in their faith?
The directive is for those weak in faith.

Divine Law requires us to avoid any occasions of endangering our faith and reading anti Catholic literature could be considered one of those occasions.

We are greatly influenced by what we read and I bet many here could testify that their coming into the Catholic Faith was a product of their reading of books and literature. Writing is a powerful tool to convey ideas; it’s also a dangerous one when used by those against Christ’s Church.

As some people have already said, if you’re weak in your faith, then it is better–if not a requirement–for you to avoid anti-Catholic literature. If you are pretty well grounded and intend to read it in order to further understand and refute it (as a Catholic Apologist would do) then reading such anti-Catholic literature would not be a sin.

Miguel.

How is “weak in the faith” defined. I would submit that many people don’t know they are “weak in the faith” until they are being re-baptized into a protestant church. I mean it is easy to say… “ahh this doesnt apply to me because I am strong in the faith”, but by who’s standard?

It seems like a very subjective way to get around this guidance. I am not saying I have the answer, but I have to think there is something a little less subjective?

Brandon

40.png
SDA2RC:
How is “weak in the faith” defined. I would submit that many people don’t know they are “weak in the faith” until they are being re-baptized into a protestant church. I mean it is easy to say… “ahh this doesnt apply to me because I am strong in the faith”, but by who’s standard?
Exactly Brandon 👍 … This book by “The Faith Explained” by Leo J. Trese, although accessible - wasn’t written for spiritual weanies, and the other catechism I was reading was actually a confessional guide.
So, I’m left to wonder, how is it a sin to read anti-catholic liturature? Don’t we need to know what detractors are saying so we can defend the Church?
Like you said… “ahh this doesnt apply to me because I am strong in the faith”, but by who’s standard?
hmmmmm??? :confused:

Brandon,

That’s a good question…I’m not sure there is a formal definition out there but what I had in mind was a person who is more likely to be convinced by other doctrines of men then someone who is well grounded in the Catholic Faith.

By whose standards? I don’t know. I guess that is something we all must discern (with a spiritual director perhaps) and even then, we could be wrong (hence, intelligent and seemingly well grounded people losing their faith after studying certain works and literature).

The Church has been aware of this danger and used to have an “Index of Forbidden books” which all Catholics were not suppose to read (even priests and religious) under pain of sin. If they did read it, it would have to be through the permission of a superior or spiritual director.

Canon Law also used to forbid the publishing of false apparitions and literature without an imprimatur. A protocol which should tell us how the great danger the Church considers in reading bad literature.

I don’t read much anti-Catholic literature—there are more wonderful things in life to read especially books written by and for Catholics. But if you have to read anti-Catholic literature, I think you have to do a bit of spiritual discerning. And as I said, there is no strict set of guidelines which determine whether or not you should.

Miguel.

I confess, I am one of those weak in faith 😦

I usually stay away from anything that remotely looks anti-catholic because written work that seemingly looks innocent might not have me question whether it is false.
At this point while I am still growing in my faith, I would rather not subject myself to material writtin by a non-catholic about the Catholic faith.
I agree with Miguel when he said:
…there are more wonderful things in life to read especially books written by and for Catholics.

I think as with most things- that the motivation behind reading anti-Catholic literature is what is important. Are you reading it out of curiosity or seeking or entertainment— that is probably dangerous. Or are you reading it to strengthen you defense of the Church-- that is probably okay!! I really think the reason behind what reading what you are readin is the main issue…

Those who are well-grounded in the faith may read anti-Catholic material. You really should seek the counsel of someone who knows you well and knows your level of knowledge. Normally this would be a priest.

40.png
Angelica:
IAt this point while I am still growing in my faith, I would rather not subject myself to material writtin by a non-catholic about the Catholic faith.:
Angelica, that is great that you realize your spiritual limitations right now. It is funny, because if it were not for Anti-Catholic material I would not be converting right now. Reading Anti-RC material is what led me to look and say “Is this REALLY what these people think”? Needless to say, I found that it wasn’t! But I began my study into Catholicism by testing what I had always been taught and was reading about Catholicism.

I am still not even confirmed yet 😦 (but its coming May 29th), and I feel that I am well grounded. But alas, by who’s standard? I find myself defending my choice to be Catholic DAILY with family and friends who still see the Catholic Church as the Beast or Anti-Christ. This has forced me to know why I believe what I believe… LOL… In fact, before my wife and I announced to our family that we were converting, we wrote a 100 some odd page paper covering why we are converting and answering the majority of objections I knew they would have! I think most of them quit asking us things because they figured it would be easier to quit questioning it, than to read the paper… LOL

Brandon

i’d sure like to find a way of avoiding recieving anti-Catholic J.W tracts through my letterbox. 😉

I live in hope… 🙂

40.png
ukok:
i’d sure like to find a way of avoiding recieving anti-Catholic J.W tracts through my letterbox.
What? They don’t talk to you first? Here in the colonies I’ve never seen them leave anything unless they talk to you first.🙂

They’re pretty easy to evangelize. Get them off script and they are ripe for the picking.

That is awesome Brandon that you managed to see through the smoke and really dig for what the Church is all about.

I was a cradle catholic for some eight years prior to two years ago. I never fully appreciated my faith till I really started studying about one and half years ago. Not it seems I can’t keep my hands off reading.
Thankfully from listening to Karl and Jimmy on CA, reading the web site, reading DFC forum I know of a few books and their authors that I should avoid.

Keep in mind I will keep you in my prayers for your upcoming confirmation. Converts like yourself who are eager about the faith and recognize the Catholic Church for what it really is, the Church that our Lord founded, truelly make for wonderful additions.
Welcome home too :bounce:

Ah, you guys are lucky. Once they figure out that I’m not Biblically illiterate they never come back. I had fun toying with the Mormon missionaries though 😃

I would hesitate telling a catholic not to read anti-catholic literature, because if they had that mindset when they were, for example, a protestant and never read anti-protestant literature, than they would never convert to the Catholic church!

For those weak in faith: Just don’t read it.

For those strong in faith: Counteract it. Take the Jack Chick tracts and file them where they belong: the circular filing cabinet. If you want, replace them with POFPOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back