How best to oppose gay pride at work

  • Thread starter Thread starter YoungIreland2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YoungIreland2

Guest
Hi everyone,

I’m currently involved in a debate with someone who thinks that I must complain to my employer about their gay pride events, or otherwise I am abdicating my duty as a Christian. As for myself, I certainly do not want to get involved in anything even suggetive of gay pride and if anyone broaches the conversation with me, I will give my position truthfully. However, this is not enough for my interlocutor and they want me to start a petition calling for my employer to stop it. I am not convinced how effective this will actually be, given that I am in a junior position, but am worried that it might be a mortal sin not to actively oppose it. Any advice people have would be greatly appreciated. God bless.
 
Just say “I don’t want to discuss this topic with you anymore.” And keep saying that. You have no obligation to do what your colleague is suggesting.
 
I’m currently involved in a debate with someone who thinks that I must complain to my employer about their gay pride events, or otherwise I am abdicating my duty as a Christian.
Just curious…is this person doing this or does he/she want you to do it? It’s important to know.
 
It’s not your job to take on the world about gay pride … just make sure you don’t add to it on a personal level … but don’t talk to your employer … you would lose your job.
 
At work you should be focusing on WORK, not on discussions or debates about gay pride. That way, you won’t get into trouble, you’ll accomplish whatever you have to do, and you might even get promoted. It is NOT a mortal sin not to actively oppose gay pride. If you feel compelled to do so, however, do it OUTSIDE of work. If someone insists on discussing your opposition with you, either tactfully change the topic or don’t respond. You don’t need like-minded colleagues who interfere with your work and may get you fired.
 
Last edited:
Hi Pattylt, this person is not actually my colleague at all, but rather someone I am engaged in a debate with.
 
I once experienced a situation like this at my job at the library. My co-worker almost had me set up a pride display. I explained to her about why I couldn’t, in good conscience, and as a Catholic, and she understood, saying she had been raised in a Catholic family herself.
So I’m currently praying for her.
I don’t think it’s a mortal sin to not actively oppose it, but if they want to get you involved, refuse it. You have that right.
Besides, the one sure way to oppose it is to pray. Pray for the place and the people who run it. For your co-workers. I am also in a junior position. One thing we know for sure: in our positions, we know they will put up the stuff they would for pride whether we like it or not. Do not let them involve you in their pride celebrations, however they do it, and keep praying. Those are my words of advice. God bless you.
 
otherwise I am abdicating my duty as a Christian
ask them how they go about complaining to their employer about gay pride events.

There is nothing in scripture that says you must confront your employer about their actions.
 
Sometimes the best that one can do is to focus on work and ignore all the ancillary issues. Completely ignore them, as in don’t even respond to them.

D
 
Hi everyone,

I’m currently involved in a debate with someone who thinks that I must complain to my employer about their gay pride events, or otherwise I am abdicating my duty as a Christian. As for myself, I certainly do not want to get involved in anything even suggetive of gay pride and if anyone broaches the conversation with me, I will give my position truthfully. However, this is not enough for my interlocutor and they want me to start a petition calling for my employer to stop it. I am not convinced how effective this will actually be, given that I am in a junior position, but am worried that it might be a mortal sin not to actively oppose it. Any advice people have would be greatly appreciated. God bless.
Specifically what is the activity that you or your coworker are opposed to?

Are you or your coworker actually being forced to do something you don’t agree with?

Or is it just that they have a banner up or something, or they made a statement saying that “We support Gay Pride” or maybe that we’re a welcoming employer that supports a diverse workforce, or something like that?

Edit: Apologies; I missed the post where you said the other person isn’t a coworker.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn’t bother raising a fuss with your employer. It’s not so much about getting fired (that’s not a given, though I don’t know your employer), but if they’re not forcing you to participate (which I’m guessing is the case), they’ll just point out that you can ignore it and let your coworkers who want to partake partake.
 
It’s the latter. The person saw some posts by my employer (a bank) that promoted gay pride. There is no question so far of me being forced by my employer to actively or otherwise support this.
 
It’s the latter. The person saw some posts by my employer (a bank) that promoted gay pride. There is no question so far of me being forced by my employer to actively or otherwise support this.
Great, well, then, I don’t see any problem.

In other words, your employer is smart enough to know that it’s not in their best interest to fire people for being gay, nor to let them be harassed in the workplace. And they want gays as bank customers.

I hope the other person doesn’t think your employer should say, “We hate gay people! They’re sickos and perverts, we fire them on the spot, and we don’t want their business!”
 
Last edited:
The fact is that gay pride has devolved into a general left wing secular holiday with little or nothing to do with homosexuality…the vast majority of those on the parades are happily heterosexual left wing liberals. There is no point arguing because they can paint any non leftist viewpoint as “phobic”.

Just do as I do with respect. Do not discuss politics at the workplace…I am surrounded by the usual Trump baiting mob. I just leave them to it.
 
Christ told us to change hearts through letting our love, joy and good works speak for themselves. He never once told us to win souls by complaining or debating.

Trust Jesus’ words.
 
It’s really interesting how this topic popped up two days after a similar thing I experienced. I think it’s the Holy Spirit 😃
 
We are all called to resist sin and share the love and law of God with those around us in the most effective means necessary.

Those means change greatly from context to context. Using my own workplace as an example, it’s a public school. There is a “Pride” club here on campus with posters everywhere. One classroom is decked out with gay pride year round. One person in the building is very openly a lesbian and will talk about it anywhere and everywhere to anyone. If a student demands I call them by another pronoun, I am legally obligated to do it.

If I complain, raise concerns, or fail to follow state law on gender identity with students, I lose my job. If I lose my job, I lose my influence over 70+ students a year. Right now the issue facing these kids are things like drug and alcohol abuse in the family, homelessness, loss of a parent, mental and physical abuse at home, food scarcity, mental health problems, low accountability for academic success, and general trouble in day-to-day life. Many of these kids don’t have parents who invest in them, if they’re lucky enough to have parents at all. I feel my calling to help students through these issues and be Christ’s light (even if I can’t say his precious name) is worth just keeping my mouth shut about things I can’t do anything about in any capacity. It’s really effective, as my students give feedback about how I am “different” and they can trust me. It’s not me, it’s Jesus. They need Him more than they know. I’m just trying to stay out of His way.

No one at work really knows who I am. If they did, I’d be gone. I don’t discuss politics, religion, or spirituality at work. Even outside of work with coworkers I steer clear of the topics for now. I’m able to do so much more for Jesus this way, and I am also able to side-step easily out of uncomfortable or compromising situations without having to give explanations, which helps me keep my job in an increasingly hostile world to Christians. My boss knows I’m Catholic, but he doesn’t need to know more for now. Right now he knows I’m 1) Catholic and 2) reported by students as being one of the better adult influences in their life. That’s the best witness I can give right now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top