How can you keep telling yourselves this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter StrawberryJam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
At another thread, this appeared:
I believe and there is scientific evidence that these movements of the earth’s surface, volcanic explosions, and weather phenomena such as tornadoes and hurricanes, are RANDOM, not caused by God’s direct hand. Weather is especially capricious. Do we really believe God does this to us? That to me would be discounting Jesus’ life and mission completely, for that would be the Old Testament God, Yahweh, who punished his people Israel when they were stubborn and stiff-necked.
The whole issue of God’s sovereignty has caused me no end of head-scratching. On the one hand, I figure, all the natural calamities are simply part of the fallenness of our world, ever since A & E decided to do their own thing, but on the other hand, the Scripture says, “All things are Thy servants,” nothing happens that’s outside of His will (even the sparrow doesn’t fall w/o His control over it), and He does use nature in the O.T. as an instrument to accomplish His chastisements. To complicate things even more, His Word says that He is “the same yesterday, today and forever.” Yahweh’s the same God who sent Jesus.

So how do we reconcile all these facts? :confused: :confused: :confused:
 
SJ:
I understand your dismay, even horror at seeing the devastation of Japan and questioning why, why , why…I know that is a gut wrenching experience to be a witness to so much suffering. I recalled it intensely, watching the news when 9/11 occurred. At that time, I was estranged from the Church through sin and bad choices, willfully doing “my own thing” and thinking such silliness as “I’m a good person…I don’t need organized religion judging my every action”. When the horror of 9/11 was unfolding, I could not stop watching the tv or crying and thought I was really losing my mind. Seeing it on a much larger scale in Katrina devastation, the Tsunami in SE Asia and now in Japan, I realize that these things have occurred over all the ages, however we never had a front row seat like we do now. Ultimately, I realized how much I needed to have faith in God and how much I needed to be guided in my faith as I was not a good captain of my own ship at all. Where better to turn than the church that Jesus gave us when he left us through his own horrible suffering and death and returned to show us that we have hope because we have somewhere elsoe we are created to be for all eternity. No one gets to heaven without going through the suffering and pain of death. Suffering comes in many forms- we all came into this world in order to go on to the next one. Turn to Jesus and turn off the tv. I am praying for all those who suffer, whether in Japan, or even in our safe and comfortable home watching others bear their own suffering and being severely affected as a helpless bystander.
 
A while back, I had asked the normal questions. Of course, at the beggining they mostly involved questions about suffering.
I was told that all the suffering is allowed for the greater good to come about.

At one point, I asked how much suffering must continue for how long for the plan to come together? It’s been a really long time since Jesus died and rose, and quite intensive suffering for many. Then Japan has their crisis.

I come here looking for prayer threads for them and instead I find the most objectionable thread regarding the tragedy. Makes Pat Robertson look sane.

I search other christian forums. I get ill.

The suffering going on in Japan is too much for me to continue to hope that any kind of God could allow for a “greater good” who knows when, and who knows even why it would be needed for this so called good.

I think I am suffering a true mental breakdown over this. I feel as if I am utterly helpless and useless to do much at all. I sent my donation to the Red Cross. I went to Mass this morning and the priest did not ask for prayers for Japan (but he did for the boy scout pankake breakfast!!! Woo hoo!!!)

I am sick inside. I feel hallow and empty and am I angry at ever being silly enough to investigate faith.
Here is your problem, you expect that all life will be free of discomfort. The fact is no life anywhere for anyone is ever free from discomfort. We are left to deal with that discomfort. I read somewhere once that to avoid discomfort is to avoid living. Discomfort is a constant companion that we either make peace with and maybe even learn from which greatly eases our experience with discomfort or we resist it and deny it which only makes the discomfort that much more unbearable.
 
To the OP:

In times like this it is the tendency of people to look and say, “How could God allow this to happen?”

But one should listen to Wisdom: “…God did not make death, nor does he rejoice in the destruction of the living.” (Wisdom of Solomon 1:13). Man invited suffering and death into the world when man chose to sin (reject God), and there is much sin in the world today.

You see, if it were not for suffering and death, none of us could ever be saved, because it would not have been possible for Jesus to suffer and die for our sin. So when you look and you see such things, it is not the work of God, but the work of Satan and the work of man, who has invited death and suffering into the world.

Suffering and death do not discriminate; the innocent suffer and die along with the guilty, because no one can avoid it. The world is full of sin, and since the wage of sin is suffering and death (Romans 6:23), we are paid accordingly, and we all sin. We dance, and sing, and do what we want, and sin abounds, but when it comes time for payment then people start to complain, and say, “We should be able to do what we want without consequence.”

Instead of losing hope, and losing faith, you should pray even more. When you are suffering, offer it up for your sins; do not curse God or wallow in self pity, otherwise you suffer in vain. When others are suffering, pray for them that God may relieve them of their suffering. And of course, help in any way you can. Above all, do not listen to people’s opinions and let it destroy your faith-- God is all good and loves us very much; so much so that He became man and suffered and died for us. If He was not above suffering and death, Him who was without sin, then none of us are.

It is sad what happened in Japan, and I am troubled too as a result of it, but I’m not about to let Satan win my soul because of a disaster in Japan, and neither should you.
 
Reflect on why God allows the Catholic areas of Japan to suffer. Nagasaki, the home of the Japanese martyrs had a large Catholic community and they bore the brunt of the atomic blast. Now a relatively big diocese is hit by this natural disaster.

Shall we dare not think that the suffering of these baptized Japanese Catholics will not contribute to the conversion, some day, of the entire nation of Japan?

Sure, the suffering is great. But I will try to remember that there is no evil greater than what we did to our Lord. Because he suffered the greatest evil of all, anything we suffer is redeemed, and can be joined with his own to great merit, not only for ourselves, but for souls we may never meet until we get to heaven.

If only our Catholic brethren would remember this in their sufferings, and this is part of my prayers, that they do not forget to join this with the Cross, for this is a time of great grace for them.

Sure there is a greater good; we would do well to stop whining at God and trust that he will reveal all in his good time, even if it be after this life is over.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top