T
tequilamac
Guest
Fact is this was answered nicely by Aquinas above. A lot depends on who you think Christ was and what that means?Not the most tactfully put question I’ve heard today, but a fair one. Sticking my nose in, I’d respond simply that everyone doesn’t, but that despite acknowledged exceptions, its perpetual absence from a marriage is uncommon in most cultures of most times, and calls for more corroboration than Catholics commonly offer. I don’t believe that means that the average non-Catholic is some sort of preoccupied sex fiend–unless considering sex as ordinarily part and parcel of marriage qualifies in your book.
The Catholic arguments on this thread have tended to run along the lines of “why do you think Mary wasn’t a virgin? Back that up!” I’d humbly submit that in the case of a married lady, the burden of proof ought to rest with whoever claims she was a virgin her entire life.
Now, if I were going to respond in tit-for-tat fashion, I’d ask “Why is it so necessary to think Mary a perpetual virgin? Would not having had sexual relations with her husband make her better and worthier than a woman who has had sexual relations with her husband?” This knee-jerk protectiveness toward the idea of Mary’s perpetual virginity tends to strengthen the common accusation that Catholics see sex as essentially bad–why else be offended at the idea that a husband and wife may have engaged in it? Did having sex and bearing us, the people on this forum, somehow compromise our mothers’ virtue?
Now I do not know about you and your mother, but most of us on this forum are not claiming to be Perfect Being, the Only Begotten Son of God.