How did they come to be called the Hebrews?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mesquared
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mesquared

Guest
I can go from Jacob, renamed Israel, to Israelites.

I can’t follow where the Chosen People are called the Hebrews. Is it a form of one of the twelve sons names?

Help! 🙂 And thanks!
 
I can go from Jacob, renamed Israel, to Israelites.

I can’t follow where the Chosen People are called the Hebrews. Is it a form of one of the twelve sons names?

Help! 🙂 And thanks!
“Hebrews” is not restricted to descendants of Jacob (Israel). I do knot know th origin of the word, but it could be related to the fact that Abraham (Abram) hailed from Hebron.
 
Well, the origin of the word “Hebrews” is along these lines:

Long, long ago, before God spoke to Abram (later renamed to Abraham), he and his wife were living in tents in the desert, where the wind blows fiercely, making loud howling noises. As anyone knows, loud noise over a prolonged period can lead to significant hearing loss. Such was the case of Abraham’s wife. And, one day, the king decided to declare a tax on coughing, in an effort to cut down on colds and flu in his kingdom. He sent out cough fee collectors to collect the cough fees from everyone in the kingdom. When they arrived at Abraham’s tent, the cough collector said, “I’m here to get the cough fee.” She, because her hearing was going bad, heard him to say, “I’m here to get the coffee.” because many of the folks of that region loved a good cup of coffee. So, she pointed to Abraham and said, “He brews.” So, after he finished rolling on the ground laughing, he explained what he was there for, etc., but ended up knick-naming Abraham and his whole tribe, the “He brews” or as it’s spelled now, “Hebrews.” (Are you buying any of this? LOL)
 
I think one of them was fermenting a beverage and had a question about the process, so when he asked a colleague about it, this person referred to a third person who would probably know the answer and said, “He brews,” but he said it really fast, so it came out as, “Hebrews,” and it just stuck…or maybe not! 😃
 
I can go from Jacob, renamed Israel, to Israelites.

I can’t follow where the Chosen People are called the Hebrews. Is it a form of one of the twelve sons names?

Help! 🙂 And thanks!
1 Chronicles:24-27
(Noah to)
Shem (the Semites),
Arphaxad,
Shelah,
Eber (the Hebrews),
Peleg,
Reu,
Serug,
Nahor,
Terah,
Abram; the same is Abraham.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top