How did you feel at your confirmation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NFrancis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NFrancis

Guest
I was just thinking today about this. I remember walking up to the Bishop and then being sealed with the Holy Spirit. Immediately, I felt graces pour down upon me. I don’t think at that point I had ever felt like that before. Then, I think I started to understand things better and eventually analyze different situations better.

I honestly don’t know why I’m making this thread, but I just thought to do it so, i did it.
 
I was just thinking today about this. I remember walking up to the Bishop and then being sealed with the Holy Spirit. Immediately, I felt graces pour down upon me. I don’t think at that point I had ever felt like that before. Then, I think I started to understand things better and eventually analyze different situations better.

I honestly don’t know why I’m making this thread, but I just thought to do it so, i did it.
If you actually remember much about confirmation, you must have been older than I was when I was confirmed. I did First Confession on a Saturday, received First Communion the next day (Sunday), and was confirmed on the following day (Monday). I was seven years old. What did I feel? Absolutely nothing…I expected to feel something, but didn’t. It was just empty ritual. Actual faith in God was something that came much later, through prayer, scripture, and trusting God during life’s challenges. I learned to trust in His presence and guidance.
 
I was twelve when I was baptized as a Protestant. When I was baptized I remember the feeling of the baptismal water across my forehead and my whole body tingled. Being twelve I had no idea what it meant but I thought it was something good. I didn’t even realize until actually this year that when I was baptized my mind was opened and understanding God was revealed to me. 5 or 6 months after that I found a Catholic youth group. Can anyone say God’s will? Well, I went into the youth group with a thrill thinking that I was going to change these Catholic. Oh I was on fire for wanting to change my new youth ministers views as well as the others in the group.

Needless to say it’s now 5 years from that day and I now stand before you as a Catholic no longer a Protestant. Three years or so after being with my youth group they converted my heart. Getting confirmed was one of the most awesome experiences in my life. I can’t even describe how great it felt and since then my mind has been open even more as well as my heart and soul. I still get chills when I think about it.
 
Angry , then violent.
Then naked.
Then dirty.
Then guilty.
Then Catholic.
👍
 
At the beginning of your spiritual life God often[or even always] gives people a very stong feeling of being close to Him or some other kind of sensible feeling. At some point God removes these sensible[because the senses seem to detect them] graces that cause such feelings because you need to start to walk towards God in Faith rather than following sensible Graces.

If you feel like you have no emotion in prayer or no warmth towards God at all do not worry because that is imply the next stage of your spiritual journey.

There is only one other thing to mention with regards to these sensible Graces, one must always follow the Reason which is enlightened by Faith to make decisions and not the feelings.

As an example you may have committed a mortal sin and you were too late for confession before Mass. During Mass you have prayed for forgiveness and you may actually get a feeling of being forgiven but you must not allow that feeling to induce you to go to Holy Communion until you have confessed it.

God Bless

Paul
 
I was twelve when I was confirmed. I don’t really remember how I felt. But I remember that I thought it was an important day.
 
It was in the late 1950’s; I don’t remember feeling much of anything. I was 11 years old. I think there were so many of us and we practiced in advance and I was more concerned with if I was in the right place in line, etc. I understand the sacrament now much better than I did then and I appreciate now what I received then.

The more I understand about the Holy Spirit and ask and allow Him to act in my life, the more He does. It’s a good thing that the effects of this sacrament aren’t dependent on how much we feel at the time we’re confirmed. I’ve had several conversion experiences in my life which could probably be considered a ‘revival’ of this sacrament. He patiently brings us to the point that we’re open to receiving the next gift He wants to give. Then, when we’re ready to receive it, there it is!
 
I was 38 years old.

I felt incredibly happy. I could not stop smiling and felt almost short of breath. Like I was being filled past “full” and had to keep asking the Holy Spirit to fill more and breathing shallowly to help myself to accept all that I was able to.

I also felt incredibly sad. I was kneeling watching teens being confirmed, could see the Holy Spirit shining from their faces, and then see them kneel, and immediately start to talk because they did not seem to realize what a gift they were given.

I have to remember though that the miracle that happened in confirmation for those young people opened them up to so much that maybe someday they will understand what a great gift they received, as one poster here said about their baptism.

What an awesome miracle to receive!!!
 
The more I understand about the Holy Spirit and ask and allow Him to act in my life, the more He does. It’s a good thing that the effects of this sacrament aren’t dependent on how much we feel at the time we’re confirmed. I’ve had several conversion experiences in my life which could probably be considered a ‘revival’ of this sacrament. He patiently brings us to the point that we’re open to receiving the next gift He wants to give. Then, when we’re ready to receive it, there it is!
:amen:
 
I honestly don’t know why I’m making this thread, but I just thought to do it so, i did it.
Well, I am very glad you started this thread! I will be getting confirmed sometime between now and this summer (not sure when yet–it’s a little complicated).

I certainly hope that something along the lines of what you describe happens for me.
 
I was 10 when I was confirmed. All I really remember was it was the first day that I was allowed to wear stockings (in the days before panty hose) and low heels. I also remember having to memorize a bunch of Latin hymns that we sang as we processed in and out and during the actual Confirmation. SInce it was in 1964 it was not a Mass.
 
I felt fat. It was 6th grade, we required to go out and buy navy blue skirts and white blouses, and to purchase a red beanie from the parish. We could not find a skirt to fit me so my mom cut down a woman’s skirt, that had red buttons down the front “Sister is gonna kill me!” Sister did not notice because half the kids in our working class parish had not purchased new clothes for the occasion and just wore school uniforms or other dark clothing. I remember absolutely nothing about the reception of the sacrament except thankfullness that I sat on the side so was not called out by the bishop to answer a question.

I can tell you almost to the minute, however, when I became conscious of the Holy Spirit working in my life through the various gifts, much, much later than my school years.

And I am definitely sensible at the Easter Vigil, adult and youth confirmations, of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, but the word “feeling” does not at all adequately describe that knowledge and assurance. It is not at all an emotional experience or one perceived through the senses but a definite conviction and perception. That is the best I can describe.
 
I was confirmed this past October and I remember feeling excitment, and I was full of joy. I was a little scared though because we had just found out my brother was going to have to go through surgery (which took place 2 weeks later) but it was great and it was one of those days where one wishes they could go back and live it all over again!
 
During my Confirmation, I recall feeling that I might faint, so I un-locked my knees. I didn’t faint but I did feel woozy and slightly disoriented - and then I had to drive home in rush-hour traffic. Thankfully I made it home safely.

For about 3 days after my Confirmation, I felt high as a kite and then gently came back down to normal sane-person thinking.

At my husband’s Confirmation, I stood in for his sponsor and had my right hand on my husband’s right shoulder while he was confirmed and definitely felt a current go through him and me, just as if I we had contact with a live wire. The things they don’t tell you about being a Confirmation sponsor!
 
I was 13, so in the 1990s, and remember having a deep knowledge that God was there. For those who will be confirmed Id say as long as everything is valid then you`re confirmed no matter what you feel or dont feel, know or dont know.
 
I was confirmed in 1959 at the age of 11 and remember absolutely nothing about it. I find it strange that I can’t recall one single thing, hard as I try. But I know it happened, because it’s documented.🤷

However, later in life, the Holy Spirit made Himself known to me, and THAT I do remember.🙂
 
I was just thinking today about this. I remember walking up to the Bishop and then being sealed with the Holy Spirit. Immediately, I felt graces pour down upon me. I don’t think at that point I had ever felt like that before. Then, I think I started to understand things better and eventually analyze different situations better.

I honestly don’t know why I’m making this thread, but I just thought to do it so, i did it.
I had more feelings with regard to my first Communion than Confirmation. I felt nothing during my Confirmation. Of course, that does not mean that my Confirmation was not legitimate and valid. I really don’t think you can base grace on a ‘feeling’. It doesn’t work that way.
 
I was received into the Church and confirmed by my former Episcopalian priest who is now a Catholic priest. The only other person attending was my daughter who was my sponsor and I remember crying. It was a very emotional experience for me. The tears were of joy. I will never forget that day.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top