How did you feel at your confirmation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NFrancis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Getting confirmed was one of the most awesome experiences in my life. I can’t even describe how great it felt and since then my mind has been open even more as well as my heart and soul. I still get chills when I think about it.
Wow!!!

Taylor, did you attend this Catholic youth group on your own, or did your parents bring you? Was some of this a result of having an awesome youth group, and going through the sacrament with good friends? j/w
 
It was in the mid 1960s, and Richard Cardinal Cushing came to our town south of Boston to confirm both my Catholic school class (about 50 of us!) and the parish 8th grade CCD class.

It was a big darn deal, with just about every Catholic in the town turning out, as Cardinal Cushing was in tight with the Kennedys and quite the celeb. I remember being terrified, frankly, that I would be asked a question (I wasn’t) or that he would slap our faces hard (he didn’t.)
 
Wow!!!

Taylor, did you attend this Catholic youth group on your own, or did your parents bring you? Was some of this a result of having an awesome youth group, and going through the sacrament with good friends? j/w
Yes I did attend this youth group on my own. A good friend of mine invited me to come… sadly she left the group when she became a freshmen but I continued to go and have been for 5 years now.

To answer your other question.

Both! Because my youth group shortly after I joined maybe a year after began to have a weekly church service also every Sunday. I’d go to Mass even though I wasn’t Catholic. I would just get the blessing during the Communion. These people at my youth group are my best friends and family now and back then I felt the same and also when I started Mass with them. My youth group though totally changed my views not because they knew the right words to say but because they were very loving and open to my views. All of my friends there, which was literally everyone in the youth group, was willing on talking with me and sharing with me their opinion and I felt that I could be myself even though we didn’t share the same views on some subjects in the end I knew we all believed that Jesus died for our sins which I thought was a good reason for me to stay in the youth group. My youth minister was willing on talking with me any time I had a question. I always thought “Oh I’m totally going to get him on this on!” but no I never did instead I realized that the Catholic church was the true church from getting so many answers for my questions with scripture to back it up. My youth minister majored in Theology this did help a lot with answering a Protestants wandering questioning mind 🙂 lol.
 
I remember my confirmation well. It was drummed into us by the nuns that we would be “Soldiers of God” and gee whiz, didn’t I take that seriously. I took James as my confirmation name because he saw Jesus. My uncle was my sponsor and he placed a steely grip on my shoulder at the moment of confirmation. I felt protected and as if I belonged. When it was all over I felt ten feet tall and have tried to be that ‘soldier’ ever since - stoic and resolute.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top