How do I avoid falling into heresy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HillbillyHermit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HillbillyHermit

Guest
I was reading this tract:
The Great Heresies
…the doubt or denial involved in heresy must concern a matter that has been revealed by God and solemnly defined by the Church (for example, the Trinity, the Incarnation, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the sacrifice of the Mass, the pope’s infallibility, or the Immaculate Conception and Assumption of Mary).
Is there a simple explanation of what has been revealed by God and solemnly defined by the Church? I think “revealed by God” means what’s in the Bible. But, the “solemnly defined” part has me confused, even with some of the examples given.

The accusation of footnotes/introductions in some Bibles as being heretical got me thinking about this. And the tract mentioning that some heresies were started by bishops made me wonder how us folks who struggle with the technical language of things can keep from being led astray. Sometimes I don’t think I’m smart enough to be Catholic. 😦
 
I was reading this tract:
The Great Heresies

Is there a simple explanation of what has been revealed by God and solemnly defined by the Church? I think “revealed by God” means what’s in the Bible. But, the “solemnly defined” part has me confused, even with some of the examples given.

The accusation of footnotes/introductions in some Bibles as being heretical got me thinking about this. And the tract mentioning that some heresies were started by bishops made me wonder how us folks who struggle with the technical language of things can keep from being led astray. Sometimes I don’t think I’m smart enough to be Catholic. 😦
Take heart!

Lots of people (especially people on the internet) like to toss around the word “heresy” with complete abandon. Don’t let their misuse/overuse of the term get you down.

This is how the Catechism of the Catholic Church definies heresy:

CCC 2089 …Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same…

Yes, in the past many heresies were started by priests and bishops. But they were never taught by all bishops. If the Pope and the majority of bishops are on the same page, you can be guaranteed that what they are teaching is not heresy.

Don’t make things more difficult than they need to be. You can trust the teaching of the Pope and bishops. If we try to set it up to be somehow ourselves the arbiter of what is or is not authentic Catholic teaching (instead of the Pope and the bishops in union with him), then we are dangerously close to Protestantism.

My advice is to read the Catechism and trust that what it contains is the truth. Certainly, there might be things you don’t understand and have questions about it. Go ahead and ask those questions. But don’t stop at asking the questions; seek out answers.
 
Thanks for the definition from the Catechism, Joe, it helped. As long as I’m not being stubborn and denying what the Church teaches, or doubting it with the same stubbornness, I’m OK.
My advice is to read the Catechism and trust that what it contains is the truth. Certainly, there might be things you don’t understand and have questions about it. Go ahead and ask those questions. But don’t stop at asking the questions; seek out answers.
A Catechism is going to be one of my next purchases. I don’t do well with lengthy reading on the computer. I have an old copy of Believing in Jesus from when I was in the RCIA, maybe I’ll read that in the meantime.
 
Yes. The key here is obstinacy: insisting that you are right and others, especially the authorities established by God are wrong.

You may drift into error, but hopefully God or someone will bring you back to the truth if you do.
 
I admit there’s a lot that I don’t know. Hopefully remembering that will keep me humble enough to listen, learn, and follow.
 
I admit there’s a lot that I don’t know. Hopefully remembering that will keep me humble enough to listen, learn, and follow.
Humility, humility, humility. That’s the backbone of growing in virtue right there.

Remember, you’re far, far, far more likely to veer off into heresy by not following the bishops than by following them. 😉
 
Humility, humility, humility. That’s the backbone of growing in virtue right there.
If memory serves, Our Lady said that a lot to Saint Faustina. I’m sure she’d say the same to me.
Remember, you’re far, far, far more likely to veer off into heresy by not following the bishops than by following them.
:amen:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top