How do I do this?

• Thread starter Thread starter blondeone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blondeone

My husband is Protestant. I have tried to get him to go to Mass with me and he refuses. He states that one does not need to worship God in a church, or organized religion.
How do I get him to convert and go to Mass with me
blondone

blondone:
My husband is Protestant. I have tried to get him to go to Mass with me and he refuses. He states that one does not need to worship God in a church, or organized religion.
How do I get him to convert and go to Mass with me
blondone
Conversion takes time…it’s like watering a seed. First, you have to make him open to going back to church. My gut feeling is at some point in his life…there was a falling out at his church, etc…that turned him away from religion.

There are several approaches…

I would ask him if he would go to church with you…and that you want him to attend because you want to go as a family, etc…and that you want him to be there with you, etc.

“The Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom and also put it in writing: Thus says Cyrus king of Persia: The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and He has charged me to build Him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever is among you of all His people, may his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and rebuild the house of The Lord, the God of Israel - He is the God Who is in Jerusalem.” (Ezra 1:2 )

You husband believes he can worship at home…that God doesn’t care…then why did God tell Cyrus to build him a house (temple)?

Ask him…did not Jesus go to the temple?

I hope this gives you something to work with.

Here is another way…

Look through the church bulletin for various get-together events…a July 4th BBQ…etc…and see if your husband would join you. This would be a great way for him to get to know the congregation, etc. If he has a good time, etc…and someone he meets that he likes invites him to Mass…perhaps, he might be more apt the attend.

I hope this makes sense…forgive my typing…it’s late.

My mother-in-law never once pressured her husband to convert. Instead, she simply tried to live as an strong example of Christ and His Church. As he saw “the fruits” of her faith, as well as the positive effect that the Church was having on their children, he suddenly announced one day after 13 years of marriage that he wanted to convert.

They are have now attended daily Mass together for decades, and he will celebrate 50 years as a Catholic next Easter.

I am reminded of St. Francis’ guidance: “Evangelize always. When necessary, use words.” I am also reminded of Fr. Larry Richards question if other people can see Christ through me.

I fully agree with rfk. You have invited; he has refused. If you nag, it will only make things worse. Instead, turn to prayer and perhaps fasting or some other sacrifice for him. Don’t say anything more - just be a good example. Be aware that it could take many years of his observing you to bring him around. Have patience, trust God, pray.

There’s a book about a woman named Elizabeth Leseur (not sure of spelling) - Maybe *The Secret Diaries of Elizabeth Leseur * - that tells the story of a woman whose husband was very anti-Catholic, for whom she prayed all her life, keeping a diary of her prayers. After her death, he found the diaries, read them, converted and became a holy priest. Perhaps someone else has the correct info on this book.

Betsy

I agree with baltobetsy - the best approach is to never discuss it at all unless he brings up the subject. Instead, pray for him secretly and fervently - perhaps a rosary every day with the intention of his conversion.

This is the approach I followed with my protestant wife, from an aggressively anti-catholic family - and within one year she converted.

You might consider two things. The first is to attend mass yourself as often as possible, even daily. Pray constantly for your husband and be the best and holiest wife that you can be. This will show him how the grace of God is working in you.

The second is to show him Hebrews10:23-26 where it reads: “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,”

Everything you do must be prayerful and in love. It is the Holy Spirit that does the changing of hearts, but you can plant the seeds. I will say a prayer for you and your husband.

Forgive me but the name of St. Augustine’s mother eludes me at the present time. Pray to her for intercession. It took her awhile but she converted her son and he became one of the Doctors of the Church. If someone could help me out on the name it would be greatly appreciated.

Glory be to Jesus Christ! Glory forever!

Pray, pray, pray St. Jude helped my husband so much. I convinced him to go to RCIA by telling him that it was the least he could do because our children were to be Catholic and he needed to know what it was all about not to convert but just to learn. So he went and hated it for the first few weeks then loved it and got confirmed in the spring of '99 and took Jude as his confirmation name. I’ll pray for your husband! (St. Augustine’s mother is St. Monica I think).

Hi! Thanks for posting your question. I too am married to a protestant that adamantly refuses to have anything to do with anything Catholic.

Since he doesn’t stop me from going to Mass, and I encourage him to go to where he feels that he “hears the word and is fed”, we have agreed to disagree. We have theological debates, at first they were pretty heated, then we laughed that we were arguing over the Prince of Peace!

I agree with the gentleman that encouraged you to pray and pray often! I sleep with a rosary under my pillow and know a friend who put a scapula under her husband’s side of the bed! I love my husband very much and we have a son together who is baptized Catholic.

Being a nag about it won’t get you any where. We are here to love, honor and cherish! Good luck!

PS: It is St. Monica! God bestowed his grace on St. Augustine through her tears for her son.

I too have a husband who refuses to go to Mass with me and our kids. I have decided to pray for him and just invite him to go with us. I ask every time and he says no. I just hope that if he says yes one of these days I don’t fall over in a faint.

I also hope it doesn’t take as long for me as it did for St. Monica. If I remember correctly she prayed for her son for 25 years before anything happened. :eek:

Hi there,
I haven’t read the other posts, but my husband is also non-catholic, although he does faithfully attend his church.
Basically, YOU can’t convert him. That’s the Holy Spirit’s job. Try to be a good example. Deepen your love for him, and show him your joy, peace, genuinely, of course. Be an image of Christ to him.
Perhaps spending some extra time in a Eucharistic Adoration chapel, pouring your heart out to Christ, your desire to share the Church with your husband, will console you and give you direction.

God bless!

Like this!

……………………,-~’’’¯¯¯’’~-,
…………………,-‘’ ; ; ;
,—,_ ; ;’’-,………………………………,—,
……………….,’ ; ; ;,-‘ , , , , , ‘-, ; ;’-,—’’’’’’~–,……,-~’’ ; ; ; ;;’-,
……………….| ; ; ;,’ , , , ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯’’~’-, ,-~’’ , , ‘, ;’,
……………….’, ; ; ‘-, ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-, , , , , ,’ ; |
…………………’, ; ;,’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-, , ,-‘ ;,-‘
………………….,’-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-‘ ;,-‘
…………………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,’
………………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’¯: : ’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _ ; ; ; ; ;’,
………………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;| : : : : : 😑 ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’¯: ¯’’-, ; ; ;’,
…………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,
: : ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | : : : : : 😑 ; ; ; |
……………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,
: :,-‘ ; ; ; ;|
……………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-~’’ , , , , ,-
-, , , , _ ; ; ;¯¯ ; ; ; ; ;|
……………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ , , , , , , ,( : : : : ) , , , ,’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’, , , , , , , , ,’~—~’’ , , , , , ,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
…….,-‘’ ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’~-,–~~’’’¯’’’~-, , ,,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,-‘’-~’’,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; | . . . . . . ,’; ,’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
; ‘-,
……….,’ ; ;,-, ; ;, ; ; ;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ;’, . . . . .,’ ;,’ ; ; ; ;, ; ; ;,’-, ; ;,’ ‘’~–‘’’
………,’-~’ ,-‘-~’’ ‘, ,-‘ ‘, ,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ‘~-,-‘’ ; ,’ ; ; ; ; ‘, ;,-‘’ ; ‘, ,-‘,
……….,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ‘’ ; ; ;’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,_ ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘’ ; ; ; ‘’ ; ;’-,
………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯¯’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,
……,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,
……,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|…’-,
; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’’,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ,’
…,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’~-,–’’’’’’~-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’……,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-
…| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’….’, ; ; ; ; _,-‘’
….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’
’’¯
……’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
………’’~-,
; ; ; ; ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…………| ; ; ;¯¯’’’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ~-,
__ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘….’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
…………,’ ‘- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’……….’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
……….,’ ; ;’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘…………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’…………………’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘………………………’’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…………………………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’
………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’…………………………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’’
………| ; ; ; ; ; ;,’……………………….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
………’,_ , ; , ;,’……………………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
………’,’,¯,’,’’|……………………….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘–,
………….¯…’’…………………………’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~,
……………………………………………’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~-,
…………………………………………………’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ,_ ; ;’-,’’-,
……………………………………………………’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,__,\–\.
……………………………………………………’-, ; ; ;,-~’’’ \ , ,|, |
………………………………………………………’’~-‘’_ , , ,’,_/–‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back