How do I overcome the idea that God doesn't care?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nocoastlayman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nocoastlayman

Guest
For the past two to three weeks I’ve had this really bad empty feeling that God doesn’t care about me. I’ve tried to do things like adoration and praying the rosary and all my mind tells me is that God doesn’t care and that all I am is worm food and that life on earth doesn’t matter. Its strange too because while I still believe God exists and want to live a good life, I feel like God doesn’t seem to care about me or other injustices. While I’m here on earth toiling and having a tough time in spite of being devout, there are people out there who reject God and live great lives (and don’t tell me they aren’t truly happy. I’m sure a lot of those people who reject God are perfectly fine as far as happiness goes)

It also doesn’t help that I have anxiety and probably have an anxiety disorder and am having a lot of stress at work. I’m to the point that I want God to show me mercy and just end my life at the tender age of 26. In all honesty it feel like God doesn’t care if I end up being some homeless bum on the streets or live with my soon to be retired mom or that I won’t have a good job. I feel sometimes like i have to do all the work and that God is just kicking back in a chair and not really helping. People always say how God is their warrior and fights all their battles yet to me God seems empty. Like he’s not there talking me and guiding me. I’d almost become an atheist but for the fact that to me the world is too complex to be just a completely random universal event. But I feel like I don’t have a personal relationship with God. More like I pray and talk to him but only get riddles and non answers back

So what do I do to combat this? I know in my head God is there but in my heart it feels like he could care less.
 
I sometimes, feel this way and not that rarely, but it varies in intensity. Just 26? Keep plugging away!!

Make sure you get treatment for your anxiety disorder as this can help a ton. I have some clinical depression with a dash of anxiety mixed in, so I can understand.

Try your very best to keep reaching for Jesus even when he seems to have abandoned you. Go to confession frequently, and I’d encourage a spiritual director, too.

Some people just have that Grace, that many of them take very much for granted, I think, of really feeling and not just a cold intellectual knowing that they are loved by God.

Jesus is with us even when he does not seem to be. He has hidden himself inside our heart, or is sleeping in the back of the boat on a cushion, you could say.

Mother Theresa felt this way for a very long time. I should find the quote, but in part of it she said “of God not being God [to her]”
 
I used to have this problem too. You just need to look at the grand scheme of things. The important thing to remember is that: God keeps this very universe in existence, for no reason except for his love for us. At any given moment God could decide to simply cease all existence of everything - yourself included - for no reason at all. And, as sinful as we are, we barely deserve to exist; and yet God keeps us in being for no reason except his infinite and never ending love for us. I highly recommend you pick up a copy of St. Francis de Sales’s “Introduction to the Devout Life”: he provides for some excellent meditations on the topic.

Another thing to remember, is that yes, God sort of doesn’t care about us, although not in the way you think. Our life on earth is but a fleeting second compared to all eternity - like the Psalmist says, we wither away like grass in the evening, and then we’re gone. God is not as particularly concerned with making us happy in the present life as he is making us happy for all eternity. Bearing the troubles of this present life with steadfast faith IS the key to eternal happiness.
 
You need to get your mind in your heart.

Have a good check-up with your Doctor. A spiritual director could help. Talk to your priest. There is much more living, praying, praising & loving beyond this desert. I have been there and back and way beyond. Life is worth living. Prayers for you.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Peace
 
Another thing to remember, is that yes, God sort of doesn’t care about us, although not in the way you think. Our life on earth is but a fleeting second compared to all eternity - like the Psalmist says, we wither away like grass in the evening, and then we’re gone. God is not as particularly concerned with making us happy in the present life as he is making us happy for all eternity. Bearing the troubles of this present life with steadfast faith IS the key to eternal happiness.
See and this is where I kind of get worried. I have friends who tell me that God does care but I find the opposite. At least in this life. It almost makes me wish that God would just take my life so I could be with him rather than struggling here on earth.

And why do so many people think I need to go to the doctor? I don’t think i’m sick with something other than anxiety and there isn’t a cure for that. Honestly just a bit of security in regards to my life would be a great cure
 
See and this is where I kind of get worried. I have friends who tell me that God does care but I find the opposite. At least in this life. It almost makes me wish that God would just take my life so I could be with him rather than struggling here on earth.

And why do so many people think I need to go to the doctor? I don’t think i’m sick with something other than anxiety and there isn’t a cure for that. Honestly just a bit of security in regards to my life would be a great cure
Well, sometimes medicine can help with anxiety. Sometimes just speaking to a psychologist is more beneficial. We all are anxious at some times in our lives, but some of us are much more than others.

Cultivating an unshakable confidence in God can help a lot in people who are anxious.
 
For the past two to three weeks I’ve had this really bad empty feeling that God doesn’t care about me. I’ve tried to do things like adoration and praying the rosary and all my mind tells me is that God doesn’t care and that all I am is worm food and that life on earth doesn’t matter. Its strange too because while I still believe God exists and want to live a good life, I feel like God doesn’t seem to care about me or other injustices. While I’m here on earth toiling and having a tough time in spite of being devout, there are people out there who reject God and live great lives (and don’t tell me they aren’t truly happy. I’m sure a lot of those people who reject God are perfectly fine as far as happiness goes)

It also doesn’t help that I have anxiety and probably have an anxiety disorder and am having a lot of stress at work. I’m to the point that I want God to show me mercy and just end my life at the tender age of 26. In all honesty it feel like God doesn’t care if I end up being some homeless bum on the streets or live with my soon to be retired mom or that I won’t have a good job. I feel sometimes like i have to do all the work and that God is just kicking back in a chair and not really helping. People always say how God is their warrior and fights all their battles yet to me God seems empty. Like he’s not there talking me and guiding me. I’d almost become an atheist but for the fact that to me the world is too complex to be just a completely random universal event. But I feel like I don’t have a personal relationship with God. More like I pray and talk to him but only get riddles and non answers back

So what do I do to combat this? I know in my head God is there but in my heart it feels like he could care less.
You are 26. You feel you are devout…What are you doing presently that would make your claim authentic?

If you are trying to come closer to God by saying the Rosary, by going to frequent communion and confession, reading the Word of God., and trying to keep his commandments as best you can…in other word trying with a little bit of your backbone to it and not feebly and carelessly…

then I would say rejoice, for you have come closer to God…the nearer you get, the greater will you experience the misery of “self” AND THE APPARENT ESTRANGEMENT FROM GOD. I say apparent because though it feels like God is getting further and further away, He is actually getting closer and closer…

Persevere in your prayer life and frequent confession and communion…you are in the purification stage of growth in the spiritual life…"unless a grain of wheat falls and dies…"Many generous souls reach this stage of their life but for want of courage and perseverance and the reception of the holy eucharist more often that it becomes central to their life…THEY FALL AWAY…

“Bow humbly under God’s almighty hand and in time he will lift you on high.” a quote fr St Peter/StPaul.

Humble,humble,humble yourself to the dust and wait for the Lord. Submit to this trial as long as it takes…it will take years…generally…

Humility is absolutely necessary as the foundation of building the spiritual edifice that God desires to build in you. Do not be surprise that this is so…that God is calling you to a deeper intimacy and union with Him…
Be at peace and trust in the Lord.Please pick up devotion to the Divine Mercy.It will help you grow in trust and confidence in the love God has for you. Read St Faustina’s Diary.

The gift God is cultivatingin you right now is the gift of discernment.
The spirit that is disturbing you is not the Holy Spirit.
“I will hear what the Lord God has to say.A voice that speaks of peace.Peace for His people and his friends and those who turn to Him in their hearts.”(Psalm)
So do not entertain these thoughts. Be aware of them and turn immediately to Jesus and speak to Him and tell him YOU TRUST IN HIM. St Faustina also experience such thoughts though in a more intense way as she is the recipient of the Message of Divine Mercy.
One of her inspired prayers which has been a comfort and consolation in times of distress is this:
“Eternal God,in whom mercy is endless andthe treasury of compassion inexhaustible. Look kindly upon us and increase your mercy in us that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent but with great confidence submit ourselves to your Holy Will which is Love and Mercy Itself.”

God’s Will is Love and Mercy Itself…So if any thought that bothers you (EXCEPT maybe your conscience when you have sinned seriously…) that does not speak of peace and love and trust does not come from God.

May I suggest taking up the 15 prayers of St Bridget. This is one of the greatest meditations on the sufferings of Christ I have come across that will help you realise just how much you are loved!!!
If you can pray it for a whole year, you will experience the truth of these words,“We have come to know and to believe God’s love for us” St John.". However, before you receive this great grace you will have to go through the bitter valley, of dryness and weariness…Brother if you want to enter more fully into the mystery of redemption, you must do battle with yourself and start struggling with your weakness and indolence…
I have received this wonderful grace and I pray you too will receive it…(so much so that I cannot but desire to pray it daily for the past 7 years or more…by the grace and mercy of God.“Iwill make my boast in the Lord, the humble will hear and be glad”.(Psalm))

Take courage…I believe God is very kind and generous to you…persevere…

God bless

Kentcara2003
(SSCC 3rd order)
 
See and this is where I kind of get worried. I have friends who tell me that God does care but I find the opposite. At least in this life. It almost makes me wish that God would just take my life so I could be with him rather than struggling here on earth.

And why do so many people think I need to go to the doctor? I don’t think i’m sick with something other than anxiety and there isn’t a cure for that. Honestly just a bit of security in regards to my life would be a great cure
There is no security in this life but the Will of God which is your sanctification. Take your model of insecurity…St Francis of Assisi. Rich man who became a beggar!!! A most worthy model in our times, dont you think?

Do you have the courage to be a poor man like St Francis?..I know I look to him as a worthy model and yet am not generous enough to follow as closely.May God inspire us to be more generous and courageous.

Godbless.
Kentcara2003(3rd orderSSCC)
 
There is no security in this life but the Will of God which is your sanctification. Take your model of insecurity…St Francis of Assisi. Rich man who became a beggar!!! A most worthy model in our times, dont you think?

Do you have the courage to be a poor man like St Francis?..I know I look to him as a worthy model and yet am not generous enough to follow as closely.May God inspire us to be more generous and courageous.

Godbless.
Kentcara2003(3rd orderSSCC)
In all honesty I’ve had this idea that I wish I could be like St Francis in the sense that I would love to have just complete reliance on God. I would love to live a mendicant type life, but I unless I discerned wrongly I don’t think i’m called to the life of being a religious person. For one thing I struggled with having issues being alone andI used to think joining a community would solve my problems. However as i’ve matured I realize that anywhere will have problems and that just being a Religious brother doesn’t make life that simple.

Also I just don’t know if i’m called as much as I am to being married and having a family. I do though wish I could emulate the spirit of Francis and would try to be more loving and caring. If I could though I would love to just be free and not have a care in the world and just rely fully on God and nothing else
 
Greetings in the Love of our Lord Jesus Christ.

These thoughts may be the result of the following:
We may not be aware of how He cares for us
Our care and necessities may not have value in His eternal loving plan

If we earnestly ask Him to let us understand how He cares for us, then He would answer and let us understand how He cares for us. You will be overwhelmed with His answers. Because He loves us.

In other words, make a door in your heart, go out in the door and earnestly ask the Lord about how He Loves and Cares for us. Then (make sure to) leave the door wide open and come in and have your time. Then you will see how many answers come through the same door. Then you have to beg the Lord to stop.
Because we would be ashamed of us (not that getting ashamed is bad to our Christian life).

Wishes to you dear brother/sister.
 
Don’t take how the world treats you, as a sign the God doesn’t care or that you have done something wrong. That’s why we should exercise unconditional love for each other; God blesses all of us:

Matt 5:44-45
But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.
 
While I’m here on earth toiling and having a tough time in spite of being devout, there are people out there who reject God and live great lives (and don’t tell me they aren’t truly happy. I’m sure a lot of those people who reject God are perfectly fine as far as happiness goes).
Hi Layman ! You are perfectly right some people are happy in this world, some follow God and some do not. When the final days of life are near, the ones that reject God , may yet have a chance to turn around and accept Jesus. The others that accepted God, on the other hand may do the opposite and reject, we just do not know; As it is said the rain falls on the good as well as the bad. St. Paul has said, Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of these is Love.

God Bless:)
onenow1
 
Be watchful as you travel each day the narrow but joyous and exhilarating road of the mind, keeping your attention humbly in your heart, reproaching yourself, ready to rebut your enemies, thinking of your death and invoking Jesus Christ. You will then attain a vision of the Holy of Holies and be illumined by Christ with deep mysteries.In Him ‘the fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily’ (Col. 2:3, 9). In the presence of Christ youwill feel the Holy Spirit, spring up within your soul. It is the Spirit who initiates man’s intellect, so that it can see with ‘unveiled face’ (2 Cor. 3:18). For ‘no one can say “Lord Jesus” except in the Holy Spirit’ (1 Cor. 12:3). In other words, it is the Spirit who mystically confirms Christ’s presence in us.
.

St Hesychios the Priest
On Watchfulness and Holiness
Written for Theodoulos

Peace
 
I was just thinking of starting a thread with the same theme. If God is good, why do the good suffer? If He is just, why does the cause of justice languish? If he is powerful, why doesn’t he act? It can all fatigue a person, and I don’t pretend to have the answers.

As for anxiety and depression, there are a few things to do. I have an antidepressant that helps manage things, but it’s only half the equation. You have to change your negative thought process, but it takes time. Getting involved in volunteer work and finding a few things to be thankful for each day will take your mind off everything. Diet plays a big role in mental health. Caffeine is a stimulant and can increase anxiety, but anxiety with religion can also be tied to a negative image of God which also takes time to change. Hang in there, and find a good friend to talk too. Depression naturally encourages isolation, but isolation will only make things worse.
 
I was just thinking of starting a thread with the same theme. If God is good, why do the good suffer? If He is just, why does the cause of justice languish? If he is powerful, why doesn’t he act? It can all fatigue a person, and I don’t pretend to have the answers.

As for anxiety and depression, there are a few things to do. I have an antidepressant that helps manage things, but it’s only half the equation. You have to change your negative thought process, but it takes time. Getting involved in volunteer work and finding a few things to be thankful for each day will take your mind off everything. Diet plays a big role in mental health. Caffeine is a stimulant and can increase anxiety, but anxiety with religion can also be tied to a negative image of God which also takes time to change. Hang in there, and find a good friend to talk too. Depression naturally encourages isolation, but isolation will only make things worse.
Its funny you mention a negative image of God because in some ways I always see God either as this drill sergeant type who doesn’t care about our lives but wants us to dedicate our whole lives for him by going to mass and doing all this, or I see him as some inactive guy just chilling out not really caring about me or anything and that this world is all just random. Yet i still believe he created the world and stuff but it doesn’t seem like he’s active. I know this is wrong but I guess I’ve just never felt the presence of God or at least felt like he’s done something for me. sure I know he’s there but for me he’s kind of like air. He’s just there and sure he’s keeping me alive but other than that what has air done for me? I know this is flawed because like air God is crucial to life. I guess I just expect God to be a little more active.
 
I have felt this way for as long as I remember. I truly believe that God has singled me out and is deliberately causing me to suffer. I hate my life and everything about it. I have all but given up on Heaven and have absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I’m going to Hell when I die.

No one has ever been able to convince me otherwise.
 
I have felt this way for as long as I remember. I truly believe that God has singled me out and is deliberately causing me to suffer. I hate my life and everything about it. I have all but given up on Heaven and have absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I’m going to Hell when I die.

No one has ever been able to convince me otherwise.
That’s sad. The thing with me though is that in some ways I realize this is just kind of a dark night of the soul in a sense. I think a lot of times when things are going good, we don’t thank God enough for them. Where as when things are tough he is the first thing we blame. I hope that someday you can come to be more sure of God. With me its just that my dark spots are rather dark and crazy.
 
Forgive the crude expression, but “the happiness of sinners” is not to be envied. Not only is it often mingled with a deeper restlessness and emptiness, but it is also absolutely worthless if, in the end, one is lost. I believe that God, in His mercy, gives certain souls a taste of happiness on earth, because He knows that they will resist Him until the end and thereby be deprived of *eternal *happiness.

God cares for us immensely. ‘Casting all your care upon him, for he hath care of you’ (1 Peter 5:7). He loves each soul infinitely. Because all good things come from Him, His love seeks to draw us to Himself. ‘Yea I have loved thee with everlasting love, therefore have I drawn thee, taking pity on thee’ (Jeremiah 31:3). This necessarily involves suffering because God is perfect; as we approach Him, we must let go of our sinfulness, pride, self-love etc.

In all things, God wishes for nothing more than our eternal union with Him. If we seek Him, we can be absolutely certain that He loves us and that He is seeking us much, much more ardently! ‘No man can come to me, except the Father, who hath sent me, draw him; and I will raise him up in the last day’ (John. 6:44). “The bee,” said Our Lord to St. Mechtilde, “does not fly with greater eagerness to the green meadows than do I to thy soul when it calls Me." “You seek Me, indeed," said Our Lord to St. Margaret of Cortona, "but know that, however ardently you seek Me, I seek you more ardently still. And it is your fears that prevent your progress in Divine love.” ‘O how great is the multitude of thy sweetness, O Lord, which thou hast hidden for them that fear thee! Which thou hast wrought for them that hope in thee, in the sight of the sons of men.’ (Ps. 31:19)

“It is a great joy to Me that men expect great gifts from Me. If any of them expected to receive from Me greater rewards than he had deserved after this life and, if, in consequence, he thanked Me for them during his life, he would thus give Me so much pleasure that, now matter how great his faith or extraordinary his confidence, I would reward him beyond his merit; it is impossible that a man should not receive what he has believed and hoped for. Therefore it is good for a man to hope much in Me, and to place in Me all his confidence.” – Jesus to St. Mechtilde

Pax!
 
I have felt this way for as long as I remember. I truly believe that God has singled me out and is deliberately causing me to suffer. I hate my life and everything about it. I have all but given up on Heaven and have absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I’m going to Hell when I die.

No one has ever been able to convince me otherwise.
“You see, final impenitence is found only in a soul who purposely wishes to go to Hell and therefore obstinately refuses My mercy, for I never refuse to pardon anyone.” - Jesus to Sr. Consolata Betrone (Servant of God)

“St. Vincent Ferrer once said to a man dying in despair: ‘Why will you ruin yourself when Jesus Christ wishes to save you?’ And he answered, that in spite of Christ he would be damned. The saint replied: ‘And you, in spite of yourself, shall be saved.’ He began to recite the Rosary with the persons of the house, and behold, the sick man asked to make his confession, made it weeping, and then died.” - St. Alphonsus

“Father Lireus relates the following story: A certain young nobleman gave himself up to gambling. In one afternoon he lost all his money, and contracted a great debt besides.
Enraged at this loss, he commenced to utter the most frightful blasphemies. “Now, Jesus Christ!” said he blasphemously, “I am done with Thee; I no longer care for Thee nor for Thy threats; Thou canst not make me suffer a greater loss than I have sustained to-day.”
What happened? In the afternoon of that very day he met with an accident. The carriage in which he was riding home was upset and he broke his leg. The fracture was very bad and brought on a dangerous fever, so much so, that the physicians entertained serious doubts about his recovery. The young man now understood that God was able to make him undergo a still greater loss than that of his money, to wit, his health and even his life probably. But instead of entering into himself and asking God’s pardon, this great sinner blasphemed God more than ever.
“God,” said he, “Thou rejoicest in showing how it is in Thy power to punish me still more severely. Very well, show me now that Thou canst inflict on me the greatest punishment possible. And since, after the loss of my money, health, and life, there is no greater misfortune than that of eternal damnation, show me how it is in Thy power to cast me into hell. If I were Thy God” horrible to relate, horrible to hear “if I were Thy God, I would do this to Thee also!” most horrible blasphemy! Why was it that hell did not open that very instant to devour so execrable a blasphemer? But God is merciful.
As the impious young man in his despair and rage refused to listen to any good advice, God inspired His servant to enter his room and whisper into his ear the following words: “My lord, there is a good friend of yours here who wishes to take leave of you.” “Who is it?” asked the dying sinner; “let him come in.” At these words the good servant showed him a crucifix, saying: “Behold, my lord, this is your best friend, who wishes to say a word to you.” At that very moment the grace of God touched the heart of the blasphemer, and enlightened him to see his miserable state. He raised his eyes and fixed them on the crucifix.
The eyes of the crucifix seemed to become alive, and to cast looks of mercy upon the dying man, and he beard a voice coming forth from the crucifix saying unto him: “My child, I will show you that it is in my power to do to you what is best and not what is worst. Had I wished to cast you into hell, I could have done so long ago. But no, my child, I will do to you not what is worst, but what is best. You say that were you my God, you would cast me into hell for ever. Now, I am your God – well, I will make you happy with me in Heaven for all eternity, although you have not deserved such a mercy.” At this voice of mercy the dying sinner took the crucifix into his hands, pressed it to his lips, and shed a torrent of tears; he made a general confession with such contrition of heart that even his confessor could not help weeping. After having received the last Sacraments, he continued to shed bitter tears of sorrow and true love for God, and soon after died in this happy state." - Fr. Mueller

Dear friend, if you have any particular doubts, don’t hesitate to send me a message. If I can help in any way - by sending you some encouraging quotes, for example - I would be happy to.

Take care and God bless.
 
I think God the Father is so “random” and even “arbitrary” (really – consider His behavior in Job for one example) when analyzed by human wisdom.

The foolishness of God is higher than human wisdom, and the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. Who really expects God to deal them a “comfortable” hand, when look what He let happen to His own Son?

If we are going to behave or pray our way out of a rough life, then We’d better be more effective than Jesus – or be more complete in our ability to say “not my will but yours.”

So I figure the God of the Old Testament is really confusing and frankly I don’t like what He has done, judged by standards I’d expect from “other powerful members” of the Body of Christ. Then again He created everything and gives me life and children and legacy and purpose and love and kittens and puppies and grandsons. So I guess God is the tree that you never know what you’ll get.

That’s why Jesus says to Philip, “do you not know me Philip?” Jesus had it broken down – that is accept your own lack of control about everything in your life except your own personal, willful actions, and even then accepting failure as a natural part of living. If we can learn this, and to abide by loving each other – even our enemies. Not judging – even when we’re “objectively sure” somebody has mortally sinned. And what it means the greatest is the one who serves. If we learn these things, we will never comprehend the Father, but we will be oriented toward living a blessed life in this confusing, wonderful at places and times and horrible at places in times, world to live in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top