How do I read the Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdrummer5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdrummer5

Guest
Everyone I’ve ever talked to about the Bible has told me that they’ve made the same mistake I did when I first started reading the Bible in that they instinctively tried to read it cover to cover until someone told them that’s not really the way it should be read. However, nobody’s ever really explained the “proper” way. I’m currently reading through the gospels as I’d never read them until recently but I’m curious as to where to go from there.

Any advice would be appreciated.
 
It is really an individual preference. I would read Acts next, and continue through the New Testament in order. The reason that I would save the Old Testament for last, is that it is much easier to get bogged down in some of the ‘slower’ books of the Bible (like Leviticus) which might cause you to slow down or discontinue your reading and then at least you would have the NT done. There are also books out there for reading the Bible in a year.
 
One recommendation is to try and read the books that make up the main timeline of salvation history. This can be accomplished in a few months. One currently popular way to do this comes from Jeff Cavins:
There are twelve historical books in the Old Testament and, for the sake of simplicity, two historical books in the New Testament. (Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, 1 Macc, Luke & Acts.) By contiguously reading through these fourteen books, the reader will cover the entire Bible historically with a sense of continuity.
By reading about four chapters per day, the reader can go through the historical books in about three months.
More info can be found at the following links:

jeffcavins.com/home/2006/10/19/how-do-i-read-the-bible.html

jeffcavins.com/home/2006/12/27/a-plan-to-read-the-bible.html

rocketrob
 
I actually recommend Catholics take the big green catechism and read that. Stop every so often and read the bible verses that a referenced for each paragraph.

This way you get the Church teachings and you’ll have read most, if not all of the bible.

This is perhaps the longest way of doing it but you get the complete Catholic reading that way. For some, this amount of jumping around makes it hard to read, so it’s not for everyone.
 
I actually recommend Catholics take the big green catechism and read that. Stop every so often and read the bible verses that a referenced for each paragraph.

This way you get the Church teachings and you’ll have read most, if not all of the bible.

This is perhaps the longest way of doing it but you get the complete Catholic reading that way. For some, this amount of jumping around makes it hard to read, so it’s not for everyone.
At the very least, I would read the Bible WITH the Catechism. In the back of the big green catechism–before the index–are the Bible readings in order that correspond to the paragraphs. As you’re reading the Scripture, read the corresponding paragraphs that go with the readings to give you a good understanding of Church teaching.
 
=mdrummer5;7534529]Everyone I’ve ever talked to about the Bible has told me that they’ve made the same mistake I did when I first started reading the Bible in that they instinctively tried to read it cover to cover until someone told them that’s not really the way it should be read. However, nobody’s ever really explained the “proper” way. I’m currently reading through the gospels as I’d never read them until recently but I’m curious as to where to go from there.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Having been Blessed to be able to read the Bible mutiple times; I always suggest reading the NT first.

WHY?

Because the NT fulfills, completes and Perfects the OT which is primarily [not only] Historical and Prophetic. A GREAT many mandates of Christ [Eucharist and Confession for example] are improvements of OT practices. So when you read these “typologies” they make a GREAT deal more sense to you.

Some of the Reactions of Yahweh God, can seem excesive, if not seen in the light pointing to the comming of Christ and all of His Teachings and thre fulfilment.

The Bible should NOT [in my opinion] be read like a “Story Book” becaue it is SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT. Take only a few chapters at a time. ALWAYS pray for help from the Holy Spirit before reading and say a prayer of gratitude when you stop.

Your first goal ought to be to understand what the mesage was for those teaching at the time; and to those being taught; BEFORE trying to apply it to present times and ourselves. Unlike a Novel; the Bible because it is very much a Guide and How-TOO Manual on Salvation, needs to read slowly and prayerfully. Do NOT place a time limit on your effort. ALLOW the Holy Spirit to set the pace and to guide you. It’s NOT a race so much as a series of related lessons to be learned.

It is AT BEST dificult to read and make sense out of the OT without being able to relate it to Christ Life on earth.

God Bless,
Pat
 
I found that reading a book of the OT and then one from the NT was the most effective way to read it, though now, after many years of reading it, I tend to spend much time in the NT just to better get to know Our Lord.

Like someone said, it’s a personal preference thing really.
Cover to cover is just one, and not for everybody. 🤷

Sometimes what I read is related to what is going on in my life at that time.
 
Everyone I’ve ever talked to about the Bible has told me that they’ve made the same mistake I did when I first started reading the Bible in that they instinctively tried to read it cover to cover until someone told them that’s not really the way it should be read. However, nobody’s ever really explained the “proper” way. I’m currently reading through the gospels as I’d never read them until recently but I’m curious as to where to go from there.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I agree with Church Militant. I devised my own reading schedule, but it is so advanced. I would personally start with the Deuterocanonical books if your aren’t familiar with them or the books of wisdom followed by the Gospels in addition to a Psalm or Proverb
 
I am no teacher, to give advice, but I can only relate how I have done things.

I have hopped around, sometimes reading shorter books, to get them out of the way Makes no sense, don’t try to understand.

In the last couple years, I’ve been reading the OT books in the form of commentaries from the Jewish Publication Society. Each of the commentaries took years to compile and they treat many topics about each book. But, sure enough, they don’t cover all topics and the next book you read may discuss things the commentaries did not.

The commentaries point out things that I would never pick up in simply “reading” the Bible.

Moses is the greatest person in the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) and you ought to hold on to that idea whenever you choose to read the OT. Pay close attention to Moses the person.

Another “how” to read the Bible is to look at it from the standpoint of personal spirituality.
What is the Bible telling you to do? how to live your life?

Often another preconception influences how you read the Bible. The Jews refer to the first five books of the Bible as the Torah which does not mean “law” but “instruction.” So, maybe you should be looking at those books that way too, instead of quibbling about the history details. Even 2 Tim 3:16-17 says that scripture is useful for teaching, which is to say “instruction.” So, the Jewish and Christian view of scripture is harmonious, if you look for it.

“How” to read scripture? Again, OT suggestion: Look at each command as describing Jesus (this is my “original” thought on the matter). Don’t just read Leviticus as a bunch of mind-boggling rules. Look at each of them as describing something about Jesus – who fulfilled the Old Testament.

The OT has a dizzying amount of structure to it, which helps to understand what the human author was trying to say. Chap One of Genesis talks about six days of creation and then the seventh day on which God rested (or refrained from creating ). In Hebrew, each verse has seven words or a multiple of seven words. In English there’s obvious repetition, which makes the chapter almost liturgical in structure.

The Catechism says there are four senses of scripture. Every chapter you read, can you tell each of those senses of that scripture? I’m lazy, and I wish somebody would tell me or give me a hint.

The Jews have no official interpretation of any verse of the Hebrew Bible (I have read that twice by different authors). The Catholic Church only has a couple official interpretations of some verses in Scripture. Interesting to keep this in mind. Each verse should be understood in reference to the entire Bible. So, you can’t even rest on one verse until you have considered all the other verses, theoretically.

How to read the bible? Know that in modern times, the publishers and translators have to avoid copyright infringement. So, each different Bible you may find may have every verse a little different from the other versions. Don’t get your head totally wrapped aroung one rendering of a verse.

Be patient. when you get caught up on a verse, give yourself a lifetime to figure out what it means. Have an open mind.

Expect the Bible to challenge you. Winston Churchill is quoted as saying “Men stumble upon the truth, but then go on as if nothing has happened.” Expect to be changed. Expect the unexpected. Expect to be lifted up.

These are some of the “hows” to read the Bible. Believe me, there are more “hows” to read the Bible. Such as “how” to think critically about the Bible.
 
I am no teacher, to give advice, but I can only relate how I have done things.

I have hopped around, sometimes reading shorter books, to get them out of the way Makes no sense, don’t try to understand.

In the last couple years, I’ve been reading the OT books in the form of commentaries from the Jewish Publication Society. Each of the commentaries took years to compile and they treat many topics about each book. But, sure enough, they don’t cover all topics and the next book you read may discuss things the commentaries did not.

The commentaries point out things that I would never pick up in simply “reading” the Bible.

Moses is the greatest person in the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) and you ought to hold on to that idea whenever you choose to read the OT. Pay close attention to Moses the person.

Another “how” to read the Bible is to look at it from the standpoint of personal spirituality.
What is the Bible telling you to do? how to live your life?

Often another preconception influences how you read the Bible. The Jews refer to the first five books of the Bible as the Torah which does not mean “law” but “instruction.” So, maybe you should be looking at those books that way too, instead of quibbling about the history details. Even 2 Tim 3:16-17 says that scripture is useful for teaching, which is to say “instruction.” So, the Jewish and Christian view of scripture is harmonious, if you look for it.

“How” to read scripture? Again, OT suggestion: Look at each command as describing Jesus (this is my “original” thought on the matter). Don’t just read Leviticus as a bunch of mind-boggling rules. Look at each of them as describing something about Jesus – who fulfilled the Old Testament.

The OT has a dizzying amount of structure to it, which helps to understand what the human author was trying to say. Chap One of Genesis talks about six days of creation and then the seventh day on which God rested (or refrained from creating ). In Hebrew, each verse has seven words or a multiple of seven words. In English there’s obvious repetition, which makes the chapter almost liturgical in structure.

The Catechism says there are four senses of scripture. Every chapter you read, can you tell each of those senses of that scripture? I’m lazy, and I wish somebody would tell me or give me a hint.

The Jews have no official interpretation of any verse of the Hebrew Bible (I have read that twice by different authors). The Catholic Church only has a couple official interpretations of some verses in Scripture. Interesting to keep this in mind. Each verse should be understood in reference to the entire Bible. So, you can’t even rest on one verse until you have considered all the other verses, theoretically.

How to read the bible? Know that in modern times, the publishers and translators have to avoid copyright infringement. So, each different Bible you may find may have every verse a little different from the other versions. Don’t get your head totally wrapped aroung one rendering of a verse.

Be patient. when you get caught up on a verse, give yourself a lifetime to figure out what it means. Have an open mind.

Expect the Bible to challenge you. Winston Churchill is quoted as saying “Men stumble upon the truth, but then go on as if nothing has happened.” Expect to be changed. Expect the unexpected. Expect to be lifted up.

These are some of the “hows” to read the Bible. Believe me, there are more “hows” to read the Bible. Such as “how” to think critically about the Bible.
That was excellent!

It reminds me of what the Catechism says:

102 Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely:

You recall that one and the same Word of God extends throughout Scripture, that it is one and the same Utterance that resounds in the mouths of all the sacred writers, since he who was in the beginning God with God has no need of separate syllables; for he is not subject to time
 
When I had a powerful re-conversion to our beautiful Catholic faith, I was literally driven to read the Bible from cover to cover, getting up early each day and spending an hour or two before going to work, and even more time on the weekends. I simply could not get enough of it! I have now been through the Bible multiple times, and am currently reading the Bible along with the 3 year cycle of our Liturgy. A few years ago, I purchased a great book while attending a Scott Hahn seminar called " Understanding The Scriptures - A complete course on bible study."
Overall, I still am drawn to read the Word daily, so don’t stress on any “correct” way to read the Bible - just read. Don’t forget to pray to the Holy Spirit before you begin! And yes, the Catechism is a great companion to Bible Study, too so be sure to keep yours handly and refer to it often! It’s a labor of love and a lifetime of learning.
 
I am no teacher, to give advice, but I can only relate how I have done things.

I have hopped around, sometimes reading shorter books, to get them out of the way Makes no sense, don’t try to understand.

In the last couple years, I’ve been reading the OT books in the form of commentaries from the Jewish Publication Society. Each of the commentaries took years to compile and they treat many topics about each book. But, sure enough, they don’t cover all topics and the next book you read may discuss things the commentaries did not.

The commentaries point out things that I would never pick up in simply “reading” the Bible.

Moses is the greatest person in the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) and you ought to hold on to that idea whenever you choose to read the OT. Pay close attention to Moses the person.

Another “how” to read the Bible is to look at it from the standpoint of personal spirituality.
What is the Bible telling you to do? how to live your life?

Often another preconception influences how you read the Bible. The Jews refer to the first five books of the Bible as the Torah which does not mean “law” but “instruction.” So, maybe you should be looking at those books that way too, instead of quibbling about the history details. Even 2 Tim 3:16-17 says that scripture is useful for teaching, which is to say “instruction.” So, the Jewish and Christian view of scripture is harmonious, if you look for it.

“How” to read scripture? Again, OT suggestion: Look at each command as describing Jesus (this is my “original” thought on the matter). Don’t just read Leviticus as a bunch of mind-boggling rules. Look at each of them as describing something about Jesus – who fulfilled the Old Testament.

The OT has a dizzying amount of structure to it, which helps to understand what the human author was trying to say. Chap One of Genesis talks about six days of creation and then the seventh day on which God rested (or refrained from creating ). In Hebrew, each verse has seven words or a multiple of seven words. In English there’s obvious repetition, which makes the chapter almost liturgical in structure.

The Catechism says there are four senses of scripture. Every chapter you read, can you tell each of those senses of that scripture? I’m lazy, and I wish somebody would tell me or give me a hint.

The Jews have no official interpretation of any verse of the Hebrew Bible (I have read that twice by different authors). The Catholic Church only has a couple official interpretations of some verses in Scripture. Interesting to keep this in mind. Each verse should be understood in reference to the entire Bible. So, you can’t even rest on one verse until you have considered all the other verses, theoretically.

How to read the bible? Know that in modern times, the publishers and translators have to avoid copyright infringement. So, each different Bible you may find may have every verse a little different from the other versions. Don’t get your head totally wrapped aroung one rendering of a verse.

Be patient. when you get caught up on a verse, give yourself a lifetime to figure out what it means. Have an open mind.

Expect the Bible to challenge you. Winston Churchill is quoted as saying “Men stumble upon the truth, but then go on as if nothing has happened.” Expect to be changed. Expect the unexpected. Expect to be lifted up.

These are some of the “hows” to read the Bible. Believe me, there are more “hows” to read the Bible. Such as “how” to think critically about the Bible.
This is very good advice! 👍
 
Thanks a lot all 👍

I think my biggest “issue” at this point is that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to learning about something to the point that I try to absorb as much information as I can. I see now that my spiritual journey won’t quite work that way lol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top