How do married people treat singles?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LotusCarsLtd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually the biggest issue I’ve found is not in maintaining friendships but in forming new ones. A lot of areas don’t have many places for young adults to meet each other, and places that are mostly singles can be a bit too obsessed with dating. Often there’s “young adult” activities for the college age, and “young couples” activities.
 
My closest friends are all married, and they have never treated me any differently because I am single (with the exception of one friend who has made it her life’s mission to find me a husband). Luckily I get along with all of their spouses, and they have never made me feel bad because I don’t have a mate. Ironically, I feel most uncomfortable in social settings at church . . . possibly because activities often focus around couples and families, and those are usually the big topics of conversation before and after Mass. And I have been on the receiving end of some “pity” comments there (one of my favorites was that I was too physically attractive to not be married :rolleyes:) If I think back to my childhood I don’t remember seeing any single adults at the many church parties and gatherings we had. It was all about families and children.

I fully expect that I will be treated differently after/if I get married. Whenever I am dating someone I always sense a different treatment by family/friends. In the end I just figure they are happy to see me sharing my life with someone. I’ve always been happy for my friends when they have found their spouses, so I guess it’s natural.
 
Since I’ve been married for about 100 years, I don’t really remember the transition time too much. 😃

I do think a lot of it has to do with natural lifestyle differences, but also that - at least around here - young adults in general are more transient. When I was single, I moved jobs and apartments more often. That also impacts friendships.

If someone from a group of friends gets married, moves house, and maybe even jobs in a short period of time, changes in friendships might be attributed to them being married, but those changes might have happened anyway once that person was living on the other side of town.

The biggest change is when a couple starts having children and their time is much more limited and interests change as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top