How do Protestants explain the Bible canon?

• Thread starter Thread starter EZweber
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Holy See can make any non heretical document binding on the Church. Even if the Pope does not issue an infallible statement, he can make it binding for the Church until another Pope nullifies it.

"That epistle of James gives us much trouble, for the papists embrace it alone and leave out all the rest .

Up to this point I have been accustomed just to deal with and interpret it according to the rest of Scriptures.

For you will judge that none of it must be set forth contrary to manifest Holy Scripture.

Accordingly, if they will not admit my interpretations, then I shall make rubble also of it.

I almost feel like throwing Jimmy into the stove, as the priest in Kalenberg did."

"That epistle of James gives us much trouble, for the papists embrace it alone and leave out all the rest .

Up to this point I have been accustomed just to deal with and interpret it according to the rest of Scriptures.

For you will judge that none of it must be set forth contrary to manifest Holy Scripture.

Accordingly, if they will not admit my interpretations, then I shall make rubble also of it.

I almost feel like throwing Jimmy into the stove, as the priest in Kalenberg did."
Kalenberg threw wooden statues into the fire.

In every instance, Luther included every one of the 73 books, even 2 Macc in his translation, with the addition of The Prayer of Manasseh.
Luther’s opinions of books were shared by others. Instead of speculating, I recommend reading his commentaries.

Last edited:
The Holy See can make any non heretical document binding on the Church. Even if the Pope does not issue an infallible statement, he can make it binding for the Church until another Pope nullifies it.
Binding on that part of the Church in communion with the Bishop of Rome

40.png
JonNC:
Which was the entire Church at the time.
As long as the council was in agreement

40.png
EZweber:
40.png
JonNC:
Which was the entire Church at the time.
As long as the council was in agreement
There likely were many Christian councils, which approved many canons. (Gnostic, etc).

The only ancient councils that “count”, in the eyes of modern Protestants, are those in communion with the pope.

Here is a 3 part video series by an Assembly of God Pastor who has a PhD in Ecclesiastical History with an emphasis on the ante-nicene church. They are long videos (over an hour each) but he does a good job of explaining how the New Testament came to be the New Testament. These videos are a three week class he taught to his local church on the history of canon. You might be a little shocked at what this Evangelical/Pentecostal scholar and pastor has to say.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
I listened to all three and am intrigued. I am trying to pm you from my tablet but can’t seem to make it work. I have had no problem responding to a pm but starting one is a problem so I would love to receive one from you!

Last edited:
Well said. And while their add it, they should read “Institutes” as well 😉

Well, I did see that you are Episcopalian, which would seem to imply one.
May have been true 100 years ago. Nowadays, the Episcopal Church…

Ok, sorry, I’m going to stop myself. “If you can’t say anything nice…”

No need to stop. You’re right to an extent. Doctrine has been lessened in terms of everyday practice for some branches of Anglicanism including Episcopalians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back