How do protestants explain the time between Christ and the reformation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eark
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This ignores the reality of known truth, and those who fall into schism, heresy, etc etc.
Actually, I was quite clear in my expression that I find Calvinism “flowering” with error.
Your communion recognizes them as Christian. Do you disagree?

Just a suggestion to @JonNC and @steve-b , I think that since Jon doesn’t think that Luther is infallible, it would be most constructive to focus on doctrine, not Luther.

There is no such thing as Protestantism. So, no, this is incorrect. I don’t believe Calvinism, for example, is “the same true Christian religion “ anymore than you do. That doesn’t deny they are Christians. As to their salvation, theirs, just like yours and mine, are determined by God.
I have heard, and maybe it was you, that today that their is no longer a protest hence there is no Protestant.
The dictionary definition
: a member of any of several church denominations denying the universal authority of the Pope and affirming the Reformation principles of justification by faith alone, the priesthood of all believers, and the primacy of the Bible as the only source of revealed truthbroadly : a Christian not of a Catholic or Eastern church
I would say that it is untrue that there is no such thing as Protestantism according to this definition.

I have heard, and maybe it was you, that today that their is no longer a protest hence there is no Protestant.
If one wants to use the term generally, loosely, as a grouping of western non-Catholic Christian traditions/communions/denominations, that is fine. Using the term in a theological or doctrinal sense , it lacks accuracy.
The definition you provide is even general and loose.
For example, the priesthood of all believers does not exclude the necessity of the Ministerial priesthood. Would all “Protestants” agree with that statement?
I would say that it is untrue that there is no such thing as Protestantism according to this definition.
As you can see by the example (there are many others), the idea of a theologically unified monolith is factually inaccurate, not only today, but 500 years ago.

Last edited:
Actually, I was quite clear in my expression that I find Calvinism “flowering” with error.
But they are baptized, so they could very well be in Christian Church of your definition. I simply want to understand what is criteria for being in the Church for sure according to your view- what is tricky such as Calvinism and what is clear such as Lutheranism or Catholicism (if you believe Catholicism to be part of One True Church) for you. I understand you view Anglicans (High Church I believe), Catholics and Orthodox as well as Lutherans as part of True Church but not Calvinists, yet by what rule do you do so?
Using the term in a theological or doctrinal sense , it lacks accuracy.
Depends about what- I agree that talking about “Protestant” doctrines is kinda misleading, but if talking about Solas explicitly, it may be helpful… I know, that’s not the case here and you’re right, just wanted to point out there is some theology Protestants have in common.

Last edited:
But they are baptized, so they could very well be in Christian Church of your definition.
Of course. They are indeed in the Church. And some of their teachings are heterodox.
I simply want to understand what is criteria for being in the Church for sure according to your view- what is tricky such as Calvinism and what is clear such as Lutheranism or Catholicism (if you believe Catholicism to be part of One True Church) for you. I
I do. Of course. And I believe there are heterodox teachings in the CC, too, particularly the teachings regarding the papacy.
Depends about what- I agree that talking about “Protestant” doctrines is kinda misleading, but if talking about Solas explicitly, it may be helpful… I know, that’s not the case here and you’re right, just wanted to point out there is some theology Protestants have in common.
Maybe, but there are vast differences in understanding of how to apply the principle of sola scriptura, for example. While the term sola fide may be used by many, soteriology differs.

The analogy I use is saying someone is Protestant is like saying someone is South American. Brazilians and Peruvians are South Americans, but we wouldn’t expect to have the same culture.

Really? Why drag us into this? We’re just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn and enjoying the show!

40.png
steve-b:
40.png
JonNC:
So, again, I still have not seen evidence that Luther wanted to throw St James out of the Bible.
Re: Luther and the Book of James

Excerpt Luther’s (preface) to James and Jude, showing his attitude

“Therefore, I will not have him in my Bible to be numbered among the true chief books, though I would not thereby prevent anyone from including or extolling him as he pleases, for there are otherwise many good sayings in him.”

From: American edition of Luther’s Works, vol 35 (St. Louis: Concordia, 1963), pp. 395-399 .
Among the chief books. Again, he is speaking comparatively. Again, Luther’s theology focuses on grace, on the cross.
He finishes by saying he would not prevent others from valuing it highly.
Only someone with an axe to grind against Luther would misinterpret this into him not wanting to include it.
He was getting huge pushback. That is why he responds the way he did. Point being, this is the father of Protestantism. THEN came all the following candidates of offshoots to the rebellion, that continues to this day.

Last edited:
40.png
steve-b:
This ignores the reality of known truth, and those who fall into schism, heresy, etc etc.
Baptism makes one a Christian

meaning

Judas was a “Christian” as ALL heretics and schismatics, etc are “Christian” , by definition.

From the CCC
2089 Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. " Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him."

So

Being Christian doesn’t save one from error. And if a Christian remains in such error till death, as scripture clearly states, they won’t inherit heaven… which is key

Re: your comment "your communion"

Jesus established the Catholic Church. THAT is the Church all are to be in perfect union with… not my words but that’s from Jesus

all emphasis mine)

Jn 17:20 “I do not pray for these only, (His apostles) but also for those who believe in me through their word, (all those in His Church) 21 that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also ( The hierarchy from Pope down to the infant ) may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 The glory which thou hast given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and thou in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that thou hast sent me and hast loved them even as thou hast loved me.

Last edited:
40.png
hope:
If one wants to use the term generally, loosely, as a grouping of western non-Catholic Christian traditions/communions/denominations, that is fine. Using the term in a theological or doctrinal sense , it lacks accuracy.
The definition you provide is even general and loose.
For example, the priesthood of all believers does not exclude the necessity of the Ministerial priesthood. Would all “Protestants” agree with that statement?
As you can see by the example (there are many others), the idea of a theologically unified monolith is factually inaccurate, not only today, but 500 years ago.
Jon,

Newman, at the time in his life when he was investigating why he was Anglican, in ~1846, made the following phrase popular “To be deep in History is to cease to be a Protestant” http://www.newmanreader.org/works/development/introduction.html#protestantism v5

As we know, he became a Catholic and ultimately a Cardinal

He also states

From http://www.newmanreader.org/works/anglicans/volume1/lecture12.html

Lecture 12, Ecclesiastical history, Section 4

Such, then, is the Anglican Church and its Via Media, {377} and such the practical application of it; it is an interposition or arbitration between the extreme doctrines of Protestantism on the one hand, and the faith of Rome which Protestantism contradicts on the other. At the same time, though it may be unwilling to allow it, it is, from the nature of the case, but a particular form of Protestantism.

Last edited:
Point being, this is the father of Protestantism. THEN came all the following candidates of offshoots to the rebellion, that continues to this day.
Source. Zwingli, as well as the Anabaptists were contemporaries of Luther, and NEVER followers. Calvin was 25 years younger, but again, was NEVER a follower of Luther or in communion with him.
Virtually all of the later groups have their theological if not historical roots in these, not in Lutheranism.
Your presentation takes a correlative and inaccurately turns it into a causative. None of those who followed followed Luther. If they had, there would have been no Anabaptists, no Calvinists. They weren’t lemmings.

Baptism makes one a Christian

meaning

Judas was a “Christian” as ALL heretics and schismatics, etc are “Christian” , by definition.
So you do disagree with your communion.
The Christian faithful are those who, inasmuch as they have been incorporated in Christ through Baptism, have been constituted as the people of God; for this reason, since they have become sharers in Christ’s priestly, prophetic, and royal office in their own manner, they are called to exercise the mission which God has entrusted to the Church to fulfill in the world, in accord with the condition proper to each one."385
872 "In virtue of their rebirth in Christ there exists among all the Christian faithful a true equality with regard to dignity and the activity whereby all cooperate in the building up of the Body of Christ in accord with each one’s own condition and function."386
However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."272

40.png
steve-b:
Point being, this is the father of Protestantism. THEN came all the following candidates of offshoots to the rebellion, that continues to this day.
Source. Zwingli, as well as the Anabaptists were contemporaries of Luther, and NEVER followers. Calvin was 25 years younger, but again, was NEVER a follower of Luther or in communion with him.
Virtually all of the later groups have their theological if not historical roots in these, not in Lutheranism.
Your presentation takes a correlative and inaccurately turns it into a causative. None of those who followed followed Luther. If they had, there would have been no Anabaptists, no Calvinists. They weren’t lemmings.
Maybe you didn’t see this addition I made to a previous post.

Newman at the time was still an Anglican, also states

Such, then, is the Anglican Church and its Via Media, {377} and such the practical application of it; it is an interposition or arbitration between the extreme doctrines of Protestantism on the one hand, and the faith of Rome which Protestantism contradicts on the other. At the same time, though it may be unwilling to allow it, it is, from the nature of the case, but a particular form of Protestantism.

40.png
JonNC:
40.png
steve-b:
40.png
JonNC:
40.png
steve-b:
He was getting huge pushback. That is why he responds the way he did.
Source…
🤣 Really? Who was the source of the docs I’ve been quoting?
Who, specifically, was hiving him pushback? When did it happen?
Source, please, of what they said.
You don’t think the Catholic Church gave him push back?
It doesn’t matter what I think. The theory is his fellow Evangelical Catholic reformers gave him pushback on James and other books. I’ve seen no evidence of such pushback.
So, again, source.

40.png
JonNC:
40.png
steve-b:
Maybe you didn’t see this addition I made to a previous post.

Newman at the time was still an Anglican, also states

So, you are referring to Anglicans as Protestant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back