How do protestants explain the time between Christ and the reformation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eark
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
a member of any of several church denominations denying the universal authority of the Pope
Hence a protest. But fighting over the dictionary is silly. Let’s stop.

Last edited:
40.png
steve-b:
OK, are you saying, you speak authoritatively for all 10’s of thousands of different independent and even competing sects of Protestants for what they believe?
Resorting to the “tens of thousands “ is such a thin argument, but it makes my point.
First, you quote a Catholic source to describe a teaching that is not Catholic, sort of like referring to @ReadTheBible to describe a teaching that is Catholic.
Second, that same Catholic source you referenced refers to Protestant in the singular, and you defend it by calling out the “tens of thousands”.

Third, it is precisely because Protestant is not and never has been a single communion that the article you site is false, but since you regularly credit/blame Luther for all teachings held by said “tens of thousands” communions (even though virtually none are variants from Lutheranism) let’s credit Luther with sola scriptura. Luther did not teach sola scriptura as a rejection of Tradition
Now THAT is a thin argument
  1. Protestantism is a massive number of divisions. No one can argue against that
  2. The poster you refer to is constantly composing his own story line
  3. Sola scriptura by definition doesn’t accept Tradition. Now if you want to critiize some point in this article please make your point specifically

Protestantism is a massive number of divisions. No one can argue against that
There’s the false assumption that Protestantism is or was a monolith that divided.
The poster you refer to is constantly composing his own story line
As are some of the things said by Catholic apologists. Using a Catholic source as you did is no different than that poster.
Sola scriptura by definition doesn’t accept Tradition.
Back to the false narrative. So, the real definition from a Lutheran source.
We believe, teach, and confess that the sole rule and standard according to which all dogmas together with [all] teachers should be estimated and judged are the prophetic and apostolic Scriptures of the Old and of the New Testament alone, as it is written Ps. 119:105: Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. And St. Paul: Though an angel from heaven preach any other gospel unto you, let him be accursed, Gal. 1:8.
Effectively, the final norm. The norm that norms all other norms but is not normed.
But it is not an exclusion of other norms.
2] Other writings, however, of ancient or modern teachers, whatever name they bear, must not be regarded as equal to the Holy Scriptures, but all of them together be subjected to them, and should not be received otherwise or further than as witnesses, [which are to show] in what manner after the time of the apostles, and at what places, this [pure] doctrine of the prophets and apostles was preserved.
Not a rejection of Tradition mentioned. In fact, it identifies the important role for Tradition.
And because directly after the times of the apostles, and even while they were still living, false teachers and heretics arose, and symbols, i. e., brief, succinct [categorical] confessions, were composed against them in the early Church, which were regarded as the unanimous, universal Christian faith and confession of the orthodox and true Church, namely, the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed, we pledge ourselves to them, and hereby reject all heresies and dogmas which, contrary to them, have been introduced into the Church of God.
And here, a pledge to the creeds! A pledge to them! Not a rejection.

http://bookofconcord.org/fc-ep.php

From your article:
In the Protestant view, the whole of Christian truth is found within the Bible’s pages. Anything extraneous to the Bible is simply non-authoritative, unnecessary, or wrong.
This statement is factually false.

40.png
steve-b:
Protestantism is a massive number of divisions. No one can argue against that
There’s the false assumption that Protestantism is or was a monolith that divided.
Why do you think I’m referring to Protestantism as a monolith that divided.
Each Protestant sect is its own individual entity and division… Originally the beginners who started their own deal, all divided from the Catholic Church. Then it became whoever wanted to start his or her own “church” they just did it on their own. THAT is still Division / dissension διχοστασίαι, Open the link.

For the other poster who doesn’t open links, here’s the definition. division, dissension, standing apart , which wrongly separate people into pointless (groundless) factions.

BTW, That same Greek word is used in both the following passages Rm 16:17-21 & Gal 5:19-21. One could ask, Why is division a grave (mortal) sin, as all the sins mentioned by Paul in those verses? Note the consequences mentioned? (Gal 5:21] “I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. “ IOW they go to hell if/when they die in that sin. That is a direct quote from scripture. IOW avoid that sin at all cost as one should avoid any mortal sin. It’s a salvation issue.

I’ll get to the rest when I get the time

Last edited:
The term Protestantism
Originally the beginners who started their own deal, all divided from the Catholic Church. Then it became whoever wanted to start his or her own “church” they just did it on their own. THAT is still Division / dissension διχοστασίαι, Open the link.
All division is wrong. All parties involved, including the Bishop of Rome, are responsible for it. (The link won’t open).
Why is division a grave (mortal) sin, as all the sins mentioned by Paul in those verses? Note the consequences mentioned? (Gal 5:21] “I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. “ IOW they go to hell if/when they die in that sin. That is a direct quote from scripture. IOW avoid that sin at all cost as one should avoid any mortal sin. It’s a salvation issue.
We’re all in trouble, then, aren’t we?
Unless one believes in grace and confession and Absolution.

Also,
However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."272

40.png
steve-b:
The term Protestantism
What term pleases you.
Originally the beginners who started their own deal, all divided from the Catholic Church. Then it became whoever wanted to start his or her own “church” they just did it on their own. THAT is still Division / dissension διχοστασίαι, Open the link.
40.png
JonNC:
All division is wrong. All parties involved, including the Bishop of Rome, are responsible for it. (The link won’t open).
I made 2 corrections 🙂

A cross out as you can see, and I fixed the link
Why is division a grave (mortal) sin, as all the sins mentioned by Paul in those verses? Note the consequences mentioned? (Gal 5:21] “I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. “ IOW they go to hell [snip for space]. It’s a salvation issue.
40.png
JonNC:
We’re all in trouble, then, aren’t we?
No. Not everyone is in that sin of division.
40.png
JonNC:
Unless one believes in grace and confession and Absolution.
Again, one needs valid sacraments, AND confession and absolution do no good when one plans to stay their sin
40.png
JonNC:
Also,
However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."272
Ignorance is NOT a permanent get outta jail free card. Paragraph 272 only works until that person is shown their error.

Consider (emphasis mine)
1791 This ignorance can often be imputed to personal responsibility. This is the case when a man “takes little trouble to find out what is true and good, or when conscience is by degrees almost blinded through the habit of committing sin.” In such cases, the person is culpable for the evil he commits.

Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent . It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

Re: “complete consent” it’s no mystery. It amounts to making a personal choice. That’s it. No big deal.

I would just say in general, People who try and game the system only game themselves.

Last edited:
The poster you refer to is constantly composing his own story line
40.png
JonNC:
As are some of the things said by Catholic apologists. Using a Catholic source as you did is no different than that poster.
No different?

On the contrary. There is a huge difference. The Catholic Church , instituted by Jesus, has all of Jesus promises. It has 2000 years of apostolic succession. Jesus said, not me, that Not even the gates of hell will prevail against His Church that He builds on Peter and those in complete union with Peter.
The poster can’t even begin to claim that
Sola scriptura by definition doesn’t accept Tradition.
Back to the false narrative. So, the real definition from a Lutheran source.
We believe, teach, and confess that the sole rule and standard according to which all dogmas together with [all] teachers should be estimated and judged are the prophetic and apostolic Scriptures of the Old and of the New Testament alone, as it is written Ps. 119:105: Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
[/QUOTE]
That makes my point.
40.png
JonNC:
And St. Paul: Though an angel from heaven preach any other gospel unto you, let him be accursed, Gal. 1:8.
There ya go. Luther etc etc etc and anyone who left Our Lord’s Church to create their own innovation.
40.png
JonNC:
2] Other writings, however, of ancient or modern teachers, whatever name they bear, must not be regarded as equal to the Holy Scriptures, but all of them together be subjected to them, and should not be received otherwise or further than as witnesses, [which are to show] in what manner after the time of the apostles, and at what places, this [pure] doctrine of the prophets and apostles was preserved.
This is what happens when there is a disconnect from actual Tradition.

Did any apostle give a table of contents as to what writings belongs in the NT? The answer is NO

So how do YOU know what’s even supposed to be in the bible? How do you know that what’s there is even correct? You depend on Catholic Church Tradition.
40.png
JonNC:
the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed, we pledge ourselves to them, and hereby reject all heresies and dogmas which, contrary to them, have been introduced into the Church of God.
In that day, the apostles ergo the Catholic Church had to endure Gnostics, heretics of that day. Just like the Catholic Church has had to endure many historical heresies. And it won’t end till Jesus calls it. In the mean time, people in Heresy as Paul said if they don’t change, are self-condemned αὐτοκατάκριτος

Re: creeds
a creed is to be a lived reality. A said creed is like a said faith. It’s dead. It won’t hold up for any one

Last edited:
What term pleases you.
When speaking of practice and doctrine, the names of specific communions.
I made 2 corrections 🙂
lol
You need to tell me how to do the strike through, or in this instance, undo it.
Ignorance is NOT a permanent get outta jail free card. Paragraph 272 only works until that person is shown their error.
I contend that the error is the innovation of universal jurisdiction, but I don’t believe that fact in and of itself would be the cause of anyone’s condemnation.

No different?

On the contrary. There is a huge difference. The Catholic Church , instituted by Jesus, has all of Jesus promises. It has 2000 years of apostolic succession. Jesus said, not me, that Not even the gates of hell will prevail against His Church that He builds on Peter and those in complete union with Peter.
Telling other people what they believe, particularly when the description is false is, at best, uncharitable.

What term pleases you.
40.png
JonNC:
When speaking of practice and doctrine, the names of specific communions.
2 thoughts come to mind
  1. Isn’t “communions” a bit untenable given that there are over 40,000 separate divisions that you would call communions?
AND
  1. Doesn’t that completely screw up the whole idea of “communion” in the way communion is used? In the vernacular, as a Catholic, Communion also = the Eucharist which = union with Jesus body blood soul and divinity, AND ALSO the unity of the community receiving the Eucharist. That also requires valid ordination. And since Jesus instituted ONE Church, ALL are to be in complete union with it. Without that there is no communion
Do you have another word that works for you?
40.png
JonNC:
I contend that the error is the innovation of universal jurisdiction, but I don’t believe that fact in and of itself would be the cause of anyone’s condemnation.
Again 2 points come to mind
  1. When Jesus gave Peter (Rock) the keys and said to him, He would build His Church on Peter, what part of the Church is Jesus NOT allowing Peter to be in charge of?
  2. When Jesus said to Peter alone, tend/shepherd/rule ποίμαινε my sheep, what sheep does Jesus exclude from Peter? Especially when Jesus prayer is
The answer is, Jesus gave Peter universal jurisdiction.

Now you can argue against that all you want, but it won’t change a thing.

Last edited:
40.png
steve-b:
No different?

Telling other people what they believe, particularly when the description is false is, at best, uncharitable.
I go by what people write. He told me what he believes in writing, in his posts.

Last edited:
2 thoughts come to mind
  1. Isn’t “communions” a bit untenable given that there are over 40,000 separate divisions that you would call communions?
Ah, back to the false representation of Protestants being one large but divided monolith.
Doesn’t that completely screw up the whole idea of “communion” in the way communion is used? In the vernacular, as a Catholic, Communion also = the Eucharist which = union with Jesus body blood soul and divinity, AND ALSO the unity of the community receiving the Eucharist. That also requires valid ordination. And since Jesus instituted ONE Church, ALL are to be in complete union with it. Without that there is no communion
I absolutely agree. Lutherans, Anglicans, and some others have valid ordinations. Now, Catholics are obliged to disagree. That’s okay. It would be nice if you guys did recognize our orders, but that’s all it would be, nice. Our orders are valid regardless.

Lutherans, Anglicans, and some others have valid ordinations. Now, Catholics are obliged to disagree.
Not necessarily. Anglican orders going back to the Tudor times are invalid but some Anglican clergy have acquired valid (but illicit) orders from Orthodox or Old Catholic bishops. Some Lutheran clergy may as well. It’s a case by case issue.

40.png
steve-b:
2 thoughts come to mind
Ah, back to the false representation of Protestants being one large but divided monolith
Should I just say “heretical sects”?
Doesn’t that completely screw up the whole idea of “communion” in the way communion is used? In the vernacular, as a Catholic, Communion also = the Eucharist which = union with Jesus body blood soul and divinity, AND ALSO the unity of the community receiving the Eucharist. That also requires valid ordination. And since Jesus instituted ONE Church, ALL are to be in complete union with it. Without that there is no communion
40.png
JonNC:
I absolutely agree. Lutherans, Anglicans, and some others have valid ordinations .
If that was the case, Lutheran and Anglican clergy converting to the Catholic Church and wanting to be part of the Catholic Church clergy, wouldn’t need to be ordained
40.png
JonNC:
Now, Catholics are obliged to disagree. That’s okay. It would be nice if you guys did recognize our orders, but that’s all it would be, nice. Our orders are valid regardless.
Jon,

It’s all about authority that Jesus established and obedience to that authority. Not what one presumes for themselves who are opposed to the authority Jesus established.

Last edited:
“Anglican orders going back to the Tudor times are invalid but some Anglican clergy have acquired valid (but illicit) orders from Orthodox or Old Catholic bishops. Some Lutheran clergy may as well. It’s a case by case issue.”

Apostolicae curae being a very long standing hobby of mine (as steve-b can attest:it is a sad, lengthy and fascinating subject), I’d be the last to suggest that this is not what all RC should affirm (indeed, I’m often the first to state the opposite). Anglicans, not being subject to Leo XIII’s statement on the subject, have another view of the matter (and the intent and the form).

But, passing over the issue of the possible participation of the Orthodox in some cases, the implication of the Dutch Touch (whatever the RCC might say on it) is a little different.

In 1932, following the Agreement of Bonn, Anglicans and OC-Utrecht, entered into a full communion (a similar agreement was made with the Polish National Catholic Church in 1946). Among other things, this permitted joint consecrations with both OC and Anglican bishops consecrating the others episcopacy. Note that this does not involve OC bishops ordaining Anglican priests, but of consecrating, jointly, Anglican/OC or PNCC bishops. Logically, since bishops with valid but illicit orders (as the RCC judges the OCs/PNCC to have been) convey valid but illicit orders (assuming all other points being sacramentally valid - see Ott, p. 458), this would suggest that the OCs lines were infused into Anglicanism, and were propagated as the Anglican bishops performed their own episcopal functions. This is not a suggestion that the Dutch Touch resolved the issue that Leo had spoken on, in the Anglicans favor, but it does mean that the orders derived from the joint episcopal consecrations, spread over the following 87 years (to which the agreement with the PNCC added, starting in 1946) were spread widely throughout the Anglican world, as the relevant Anglican bishops went about their own episcopal duties, in turn. It isn’t a case by case issue.

My late rector was ordained by an Episcopal bishop who was himself consecrated by one jointly consecrated by PNCC prelates. It would be hard, after these years, to find Anglican clergy without those lines, somewhere in the past.

It is, as I said, a long, sad, and complicated story, involving history, theology, personalities, and politics. On the subject, all faithful RCs should affirm that Anglican orders are null and void, in general.

Last edited:
40.png
steve-b:
there are over 40,000 separate divisions that you would call communions?
Any particular reason for the 40,000 figure?
Just taking 3 classifications of Protestant

Nondenominational evangelical
Nondenominational fundamentalist
Nondenominational charismatic

Would you say that within each classification, every individual church within that classification, is its own entity responsible for itself with it’s own authority and answers to only itself?

Then there is at least 50 different classifications of different Baptists.

And it goes on and on and on.

How would you number the divisions?

I have no idea at all.Just curious if there was something that directly lead to your figure. Me, I’d not be surprised if it was (and it will absolutely depend on how you define whatever you are counting) 50,000. Or any other number. My usual response to “How many denominations?” is “Either a lot, or a lot more than that”.

I have no idea at all.Just curious if there was something that directly lead to your figure. Me, I’d not be surprised if it was (and it will absolutely depend on how you define whatever you are counting) 50,000. Or any other number. My usual response to “How many denominations?” is “Either a lot, or a lot more than that”.
Let’s look at this from the Catholic Church position wanting to somehow solve this mess of all the divisions.

Who does the Catholic Church go to, to talk about reunification of all of Protestantism when Every entity is their own entity and speaks for themselves? NO ONE speaks for all in Protestantism.

Even the Orthodox aren’t one. They are all individual Churches. The Russians who make up 60%+ of Orthodoxy went into schism with all who are in union with Constantinople. :roll_eyes:

Jim, it’s all about going back to authority that Jesus established, in His Church, and all the people who have / had authority issues with that authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back