M
mackbrislawn
Guest
Gee, highrigger, you really come out swinging!QUOTE=highrigger1;9214322]mack,
You know as well as I do that ordain carrys a different meaning than appoint. Ordain means make one an official clergy. Appoint simply means to give someone a job to do. Big difference and you should recognize it. There was no ordination in the NT or by the early ECFs. Probably many appointments however.
No, highrigger, I really don’t know as well as you that ordain carries a different meaning than appoint. And that I should recogize that difference? Are you chastizing me? Why? I’m only asking questions. So, don’t tell me about the big difference, tell it to the dictionary! The dictionary defines ‘ordain’ as ‘establish by appointment’. So argue with the dictionary, not with me. The dictionary indicates that ‘ordain’ can certainly mean to give someone a job to do.
‘Ordain means to make one official clergy.’ Yes, I go along with that. The dictionary agrees too: ‘to invest officially (as by the laying on of hands) with ministerial or priestly authority.’ This part of the dictionary definition is the technical definition of ‘ordain.’ That is, it would also be a modern definition that has been taken from the church’s usage, which is to appoint.Protestants ordain their ministers to have trained people who control the practices of the Church such as the sacraments and who have official recognition of their church for those duties. They might appoint a Sunday School teacher who does not have those same offical duties of a ordained pastor.
Does ‘ordain’ have a different meaning than the Greek word in scripture (whatever that Greek word is, which you haven’t answered to me yet). You would say it has a different meaning, but I don’t see any real evidence other than your assertion.
I further take it, then, that you mean to say ordination is not a biblical practice, does not have scriptural support, and hence must be a man-made tradition. Is that right?
So ‘clergy’ is not biblical, but a man-made institution? I guess I have to ask now, what is ‘clergy’? ( I mean this question seriously and not combatively, as in my original post is not combative.)The early bishops and elders were not clergy. In those days there was no separation between clergy and laity. They were simply christian leaders.
I ask it because I always thought that the clergy were christian leaders. Perhaps not?
Paul Johnson, History of Christianity
p 44.
“The church was an inversion of normal society. Its leaders exercised their
authority through gifts of the Spirit, not through office. The two noblest
gifts were prophecy and teaching. The apostles set the process in motion,
then the Spirit took over and worked through many people: ‘And God has
appointed in the Church first apostles, then prophets, third teachers, then
workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in the
various kinds of tongues.’ Worship was still completely unorganized and
subject to no special control. There was no specific organization to handle
funds. And there was no distinction between clerical class and the laity.
There were, indeed, presbyters in the Judaic Christian Church, but not in
Paul’s new convert congregaions. The atmosphere in short was that of a
loosely organized revivalist movement. Many from time to time ‘spoke with
tongues’; all expected the parousia soon. Clerical control seemed needless
and inappropriate. And the atmosphere in the Pauline churches was reproduced
elsewhere, in a rapidly spreading movement.”
I’m not familiar with Paul Johnson nor his history. So I don’t know from what perspective he is writing, and how much of his opinion he is mixing in with actual history. A lot of history as written is the interpretation of events by the author. Another author may have a different interpretation of the same events.
However, it does seem that the earliest congregations as he explains, were strictly charismatic, that is, guided by the gifts of the spirit (such as the Corinthians). And, there were also pretty disorganized and chaotic. And yes, since the parousia was imminent, no clergy were necessary!
He makes an interesting distinction between the Pauline congregations and the Judaic Christian churches, which I presume would certainly include the Jerusalem church and possibly those started by Peter and the other apostles. But I don’t know what Johnson means when he says that the atmosphere of the Pauline churches was reproduced elsewhere, in a rapidly spreading movement. (?)
I’ll post this now, since it is getting long.