How do we know that the bible was god-breathed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GandalfTheWhite
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GandalfTheWhite

Guest
Hello, I have a question (asked by someone else somewhere else):

How do we know that the bible was god-breathed? (as if you haven’t already knew what I’m gonna ask 🙂 )

Is it:
A) It’s a matter of Faith (and I’m personally cool with that)* or*
B) The Bible says so…if than yes I can’t find it or
C) Sacred Tradition?

Thanks a lot!
 
Hello, I have a question (asked by someone else somewhere else):

How do we know that the bible was god-breathed? (as if you haven’t already knew what I’m gonna ask 🙂 )

Is it:
A) It’s a matter of Faith (and I’m personally cool with that)* or*
B) The Bible says so…if than yes I can’t find it or
C) Sacred Tradition?

Thanks a lot!
Probably all three 😃 But it is in the Bible 2 Tim 3:16

16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

This is from the NIV translation… I looked in several other translations before I found one that said the words “God-breathed”
 
Probably all three But it is in the Bible 2 Tim 3:16
16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
This is from the NIV translation… I looked in several other translations before I found one that said the words “God-breathed”
Thanks, this makes sense. How do we know what the Scripture is? Sacret tradition 🙂
 
If all scripture wad god breathed then why isn’t some parts of the writings that were there when the bible was being compiled,the bits that wernt included not included in the bible?
 
Hello, I have a question (asked by someone else somewhere else):
How do we know that the bible was god-breathed? (as if you haven’t already knew what I’m gonna ask 🙂 )

Is it:
A) It’s a matter of Faith (and I’m personally cool with that)* or*
B) The Bible says so…if than yes I can’t find it or
C) Sacred Tradition?

Thanks a lot!
GandalfTheWhite:

This is one of the (many) reasons Jesus founded his Church, the pillar and bulwark of truth (1 Tim 3:15), so we would know how to get to heaven and, among other things, know what books constitute the canon of the bible, why they are included & others excluded, and what “God-breathed” means.

In a nutshell we know the bible is God-breathed or inspired because Jesus’ Church says so. His Church said so in 382 at the Council of Rome which the Pope (St Damasus I) approved. Prior to that absolutely no one knew what the complete canon of scripture was.

It is now part of Tradition, or the Gospel, and is a teaching of Jesus as he teaches through his Church, his body.

So if one is a faithful Catholic he will believe the bible is inspired as that is what the Church teaches. So even if one does not fully understand the teaching he believes on faith as God himself is revealing this truth, as he does not lie.

It is incorrect to believe the bible is inspired because it says so in 2 Tim 3:16 because 1) How does one confirm the inspiration of this verse claiming the bible is inspired? 2) 2 Tim 3:16 does not define the canon of the bible 3) It is circular reasoning to use the bible in attempting to prove something about it.

Joe
 
Thanks, this makes sense. How do we know what the Scripture is? Sacret tradition 🙂
The teaching authority of the Church, decided which writings met the criteria for being included in the Bible. Sacred Tradition also entered into at least some of the Books being accepted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top