S
StJudePray4Me
Guest
Hi all
I know we have discussed in other threads how some of us dislike people being noisy in the pews as they wait for Mass to begin. I had an experience that was different, but somewhat related, and I thought I’d throw it out there for comments.
I have been attending weekday Masses during Lent. I never really did this before with any regularity.
I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it is there in my home Parish. No music, not too many people, just really peaceful and quiet. I found it so easy to really pray before the Mass began. I was able to focus my thoughts and it was really great!
Now, last Friday I went to a neighboring parish, as I was unable to get to mine for the 8:30 am Mass, and I knew they had a 9:00. I got there at about ten minutes to 9. There were about 20 people there already, all scattered through the church. One woman was loudly praying the rosary. Many of the others scattered throughout would join her for the second stanza of the Hail Mary. After she finished the rosary, (they must have been there for a while, as they finished the rosary shortly after I arrived), she went on to pray a litany of saints.
I don’t believe that this woman was leading prayers in any official capacity. I don’t know if this is a regular practice there, but it seemed that many people were joining her, so I figured they must be somewhat accustomed to this.
I was sort of disappointed, as I was looking forward to the quiet I had begun to expect at a weekday morning Mass. I did however join in. I couldn’t really think with this going on around me, so I figured I’d pray with them.
What say you? Appropriate? Or not?
I know we have discussed in other threads how some of us dislike people being noisy in the pews as they wait for Mass to begin. I had an experience that was different, but somewhat related, and I thought I’d throw it out there for comments.
I have been attending weekday Masses during Lent. I never really did this before with any regularity.
I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it is there in my home Parish. No music, not too many people, just really peaceful and quiet. I found it so easy to really pray before the Mass began. I was able to focus my thoughts and it was really great!
Now, last Friday I went to a neighboring parish, as I was unable to get to mine for the 8:30 am Mass, and I knew they had a 9:00. I got there at about ten minutes to 9. There were about 20 people there already, all scattered through the church. One woman was loudly praying the rosary. Many of the others scattered throughout would join her for the second stanza of the Hail Mary. After she finished the rosary, (they must have been there for a while, as they finished the rosary shortly after I arrived), she went on to pray a litany of saints.
I don’t believe that this woman was leading prayers in any official capacity. I don’t know if this is a regular practice there, but it seemed that many people were joining her, so I figured they must be somewhat accustomed to this.
I was sort of disappointed, as I was looking forward to the quiet I had begun to expect at a weekday morning Mass. I did however join in. I couldn’t really think with this going on around me, so I figured I’d pray with them.
What say you? Appropriate? Or not?