How do you classify these books in the Catholic Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter beafedor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beafedor

Guest
I’m trying to understand how the Catholic Bible is divided.

I understand that these Old Testament books are not part of the Pentateuch/Historical Books/Wisdom books/Prophetic books/Deuterocanonical books, Where/how do you classify them? The books of Joshua, Judges, Ruth.

Same question for the Acts of Apostles and James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, Jude and Revelation. Are they considered Apostolic Letters or any other name?

Thanks for your help.
 
I’m trying to understand how the Catholic Bible is divided.

I understand that these Old Testament books are not part of the Pentateuch/Historical Books/Wisdom books/Prophetic books/Deuterocanonical books, Where/how do you classify them? The books of Joshua, Judges, Ruth.

Same question for the Acts of Apostles and James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, Jude and Revelation. Are they considered Apostolic Letters or any other name?

Thanks for your help.
I don’t know about the OT books, but the others are considered the Catholic letters. :cool:
 
I’m trying to understand how the Catholic Bible is divided.

I understand that these Old Testament books are not part of the Pentateuch/Historical Books/Wisdom books/Prophetic books/Deuterocanonical books, Where/how do you classify them? The books of Joshua, Judges, Ruth.

Same question for the Acts of Apostles and James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, Jude and Revelation. Are they considered Apostolic Letters or any other name?

Thanks for your help.
Catholic Divisions of the Bible

The Old Testament books are grouped in the following manner:
1) Historical books, which are arranged not in the order in which they were written but according to the order of events in time which they narrate (Genesis to Esther);
2) Didactic or sapiential or moral books, which are so called because they instruct us especially about heavenly wisdom and principles of morality (Job to Ecclesiasticus);
3) The prophetical books, which contain God’s message to men, and predictions concerning the future (Isaias to Malachias);
4) A historical appendix (the Books of the Machabees).

The New Testament like the Old Testament has also a threefold division:
1) Historical books (the Gospels and the Acts);
2) Didactic writings (the fourteen Pauline Epistles and the seven Catholic Epistles);
3) A prophetical book (the Apocalypse).

There’s much more at cathtruth.com/catholicbible/bookbook.htm
 
  • Because Genesis through Judges is a continuous narrative, sometimes they’re called the Heptateuch.
  • Jews lump Ruth together with Song of Songs, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, and Esther and call them the five megillot. This grouping, however, is based not on content but on use: each one has a specific holiday on which it is read in its entirety. Joshua and Judges, however, they lump together with the prophetic books, since essentially they were written by prophets.
  • Handmade Christian Bibles from before the days of printing often grouped the gospels into one volume, the letters of Paul (including Hebrews) into one volume, and the letters of others into another volume. The non-Paul letters are sometimes called the catholic epistles, not because they are Catholic, but because they are addressed more or less universally rather than to specific individuals.
  • Thematically, however, the books of the Bible can be put into a plan, such as the one suggested by Thomas Aquinas: dhspriory.org/thomas/Principium.htm.
 
Thank you so much, friends, for the different resources. They certainly help!
I was a little confused on the Vatican website where you can read the New American Bible.
vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/_INDEX.HTM

In the general list of Bible books, they put the 3 OT books I first mentioned in the Pentateuch and then when you click on PENTATEUCH there are notes explaining that the Pentateuch, as I was taught, has only the first 5 books of the Torah.
Then strangely they also put Acts along with the Gospels in the NT. That’s if you look at the main table of contents of the NAB on the Vatican’s website. Maybe it’s because of the layout of the webpage that they had to put some books under a certain title even thought they don’t belong?

Thank you again for your help.
 
I’m trying to understand how the Catholic Bible is divided.

I understand that these Old Testament books are not part of the Pentateuch/Historical Books/Wisdom books/Prophetic books/Deuterocanonical books, Where/how do you classify them? The books of Joshua, Judges, Ruth.

Same question for the Acts of Apostles and James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, Jude and Revelation. Are they considered Apostolic Letters or any other name?

Thanks for your help.
Joshua, Judges, Ruth are normally counted in with the historical books.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top