How do you dispose of blessed palms?

• Thread starter Thread starter Apologist4Life
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Apologist4Life

I just called my parish to inquire about dropping off my old blessed palms so they could burn them for Ash Wednesday. I was told they already had their ashes, and that no, I couldn’t not drop off my blessed palms, even for proper disposal. I was directed by the receptionist to “just throw them in the grill next time you cook out.” I seriously doubt that is the norms established by the Church.

I was also informed that I may not drop off my blessed palms at an earlier date next year as they don’t burn them at our church any more. They must collect them from people’s grills. How should I go about properly disposing my blessed palms?

Since it is usually recommended to dispose of blessed sacramentals by burning those blessed sacramentals that can be burned, the advice you were given was not completely off the mark. However, it would be fitting not to use blessed sacramentals as fuel for your next barbecue, as was implied in the response you were given. Perhaps after you have cleaned up after your next barbecue and before you put away your grill, you might use the grill to burn the blessed palms and then spread the ashes in your backyard or garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back