How do you distinguish between sloth and depression?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robert_Sock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert_Sock

Guest
I was diagnosed with Major Depression in 2007. Sometimes I have to wonder, however, whether my negligence to move from my office seat, which I’m seated in during most of my waking hours, is due to laziness. But the spiritual part of me believes that God allows me to be depressed so as to focus on Him more clearly. I live in silence and solitude, trying to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I rarely get any exercise, which some people believe is due to laziness.
 
If you can still find it online, in “Three Ages of the Interior Life” by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange there is a good chapter on acedia.
 
I totally know what you are saying here.

I can see how it would be difficult to notice a difference. Those with depression have a lack of motivation because of an underlying issue (insecurity, anxiety, etc.). I think the task of getting out of bed, self-care and maintaining a healthy social life is something that is hard for those who have battled depression. I only know this because I’ve dealt with it myself quite a bit 😉

“Sloth” would also have a lack of motivation, but also a lack of ambition as well. They may lack direction and like how they are living. Those who kind of coast by in life, never really changing or working towards something…I would consider sloth, or lazy.
 
I would have said having a deep desire to ignore external stimuli and focus on God is a perfectly understandible reaction to having an office job in the dreary irritation that is modern workplaces…

Assuming you’re getting paid to sit in that office chair, however, you may have some kind of moral obligation to do some dreary, soul destroying work…

Regarding exercise, I suspect prayer and contemplation are probably more important than physical health… if you let your body decline while focusing on devotions to God, you’re echoing more extreme self-sacrificial acts of the devout more prevalently celebrated in ages gone by…

Have you considered monastic orders, incidentally?
 
I would have said having a deep desire to ignore external stimuli and focus on God is a perfectly understandible reaction to having an office job in the dreary irritation that is modern workplaces…

Assuming you’re getting paid to sit in that office chair, however, you may have some kind of moral obligation to do some dreary, soul destroying work…

Regarding exercise, I suspect prayer and contemplation are probably more important than physical health… if you let your body decline while focusing on devotions to God, you’re echoing more extreme self-sacrificial acts of the devout more prevalently celebrated in ages gone by…

Have you considered monastic orders, incidentally?
I’m retired and too old to become a monk, but the idea is appealing.
 
I was going to say, only half sarcastically:

One you are curled up on you bed in a fetal position wondering in God would have mercy on you and end your life now

The other you are lying on your bed watching tv with a bag of chips hoping you mysteriously get a check in your mailbox today…

Realistically though, I think of depression being when you can think of little other than how bad you feel and there is no physical reason for you to be feeling that way. Location and activity having little effect on making that go away. Truly a dibilitating condition that I think is little understood by those who have not experienced it.

Good luck on your journey.
 
I was diagnosed with Major Depression in 2007. Sometimes I have to wonder, however, whether my negligence to move from my office seat, which I’m seated in during most of my waking hours, is due to laziness. But the spiritual part of me believes that God allows me to be depressed so as to focus on Him more clearly. I live in silence and solitude, trying to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I rarely get any exercise, which some people believe is due to laziness.
Exercise is good for everyone, depressed or not. I try not to sit all the time at work and take little breaks to move around. I have major depression and was told that exercise does help. It does.

God bless,
Ed
 
Sitting around too much is bad for the body and the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
 
I was going to say, only half sarcastically:

One you are curled up on you bed in a fetal position wondering in God would have mercy on you and end your life now

The other you are lying on your bed watching tv with a bag of chips hoping you mysteriously get a check in your mailbox today…

Realistically though, I think of depression being when you can think of little other than how bad you feel and there is no physical reason for you to be feeling that way. Location and activity having little effect on making that go away. Truly a dibilitating condition that I think is little understood by those who have not experienced it.

Good luck on your journey.
👍
 
I was diagnosed with Major Depression in 2007. Sometimes I have to wonder, however, whether my negligence to move from my office seat, which I’m seated in during most of my waking hours, is due to laziness. But the spiritual part of me believes that God allows me to be depressed so as to focus on Him more clearly. I live in silence and solitude, trying to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I rarely get any exercise, which some people believe is due to laziness.
Sounds difficult.

If you even THINK this MIGHT be depression, it might be prudent to check it out, to either confirm or rule it out, one way or the other, to at least know where you stand.

I hope you are in treatment with a counselor, getting medication as needed. Sometimes, exercise is good to also help one snap out of a depression, to get out of the house, do some form of exercise, be it dance, sports, whatever. At times, exercising in group can also be helpful.

If one can just even go for a walk, that can be helpful, therapeutic.

I use a wheelchair, and my boyfriend does, as well. He is a firm believer in exercise. Sunday, he is going to compete in the local annual 10 K wheelchair marathon. He does wheelchair dancing and has done paralympics in swimming.

He wants to learn t’ai chi.

He is encouraging me to exercise, as well, even if (with the arthritis), it’s only a gentle movement, like a waltz…or when it warms up a bit more…swimming.

I think that’d be good for me. When one exercises, it can help lift one out of a depression, help one in so many ways, physically, mentally, emotionally. We need a balance. I think it’d be easier for me to do in a group, to get the momentum to do this.

We have free, weekly zumba, that the government puts on.

Also, it’s important to have a social life of some kind or other.

Keep learning…SOMETHING!

Volunteering can be good to give one a sense of purpose.

I don´t think God wants, or needs, us to be depressed. I believe love and joy often go hand-in-hand.

When I am depressed, I tend to withdraw from people, one thing. Also, I typically dress differently, in depressing colors, may not bother with jewelry, makeup, etc. In fact, my boyfriend can tell by looking at what I’m wearing, what mood I’m going to be in!

People also treat me differently when I dress in happy colors, with jewelry, makeup, than in sad colors without. It’s night and day.

This is my take on depression…to get treatment…number one. Number two…to take care of oneself…take a hot bath, light a candle, use lotion, get any, and all, medical needs tended to, including routine checkups.

Call up a friend…invite him/her over, or go out, even if it’s just for a cup of hot chocolate.

How is your sleep? Depression can cause insomnia, and insomnia, depression. If you have insomnia, get that tended to even if it means seeing a doctor.

Depression is nothing to play around with. People have committed suicide over it and more. From another perspective, it’s also hard for others to be around someone who is depressed. They will probably withdraw…as will you, creating a kind of vicious circle.

Break out! Get to the bottom of this! Is it depression? You need to know. If it is, can you figure out the cause?

For years, I had an undiagnosed thyroid problem…then later…menopause…a bunch of things. Depression also runs in my family, can be hereditary. Some people have Seasonal Affective Disorder. The lack of light can make some folks depressed, and when the sun comes back out, they’re fine.

Men can have andropause. There is depression that is caused by circumstances…or…past events. Sometimes, depression accompanies some other condition.

For instance, my ex-husband was depressed, but it seemed to be a symptom of his obsessive compulsive disorder. So, this is why it’s important to get professional help, and you are NOT the only one who has ever struggled with depression. I have, and if you took a poll, on CAF, probably a lot of people have…whether they would admit to it, or not.

There IS help! When one is depressed, it can be hard to feel…happiness…love. I personally don´t think God wants that. Look at how children and animals come into the world, so overflowing with joy! So no, I don´t believe, for one second, that God wants you to be depressed.
 
I can sometimes identify myself with this dilemma. Throw in procrastination and you get a pretty good picture of me.
Some people only get into action if there is a final deadline approaching.
 
I was diagnosed with Major Depression in 2007. Sometimes I have to wonder, however, whether my negligence to move from my office seat, which I’m seated in during most of my waking hours, is due to laziness. But the spiritual part of me believes that God allows me to be depressed so as to focus on Him more clearly. I live in silence and solitude, trying to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.** I rarely get any exercise,** which some people believe is due to laziness.
Is that by choice?

We are called to respect and look after our bodies.

CCC 364 The human body shares in the dignity of “the image of God”: it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit:
Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity. Through his very bodily condition he sums up in himself the elements of the material world. Through him they are thus brought to their highest perfection and can raise their voice in praise freely given to the Creator. For this reason man may not despise his bodily life. Rather he is obliged to regard his body as good and to hold it in honor since God has created it and will raise it up on the last day.

CCC 1004 In expectation of that day, the believer’s body and soul already participate in the dignity of belonging to Christ. This dignity entails the demand that he should treat with respect his own body, but also the body of every other person, especially the suffering:

The body [is meant] for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? . . . You are not your own; . . . So glorify God in your body.
 
Is that by choice?

We are called to respect and look after our bodies.

CCC 364 The human body shares in the dignity of “the image of God”: it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit:
Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity. Through his very bodily condition he sums up in himself the elements of the material world. Through him they are thus brought to their highest perfection and can raise their voice in praise freely given to the Creator. For this reason man may not despise his bodily life. Rather he is obliged to regard his body as good and to hold it in honor since God has created it and will raise it up on the last day.

CCC 1004 In expectation of that day, the believer’s body and soul already participate in the dignity of belonging to Christ. This dignity entails the demand that he should treat with respect his own body, but also the body of every other person, especially the suffering:

The body [is meant] for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? . . . You are not your own; . . . So glorify God in your body.
For whatever it’s worth, our glorified bodies will make these earthly bodies seem loathsome. It all depends what you’re these bodies to.
 
When you talk about inertia as being something sent by God to encourage you to focus on him, do you find satisfaction in your devotions?

I mistrust the ideology of psychology, to be honest - it misses out the soul. I’ve been depressed, but the idea that depression is something that just happens to you, an unreasoning black dog or whatever, jumping on you without reason, seems bizarre to me - there is always a tangible reality that triggers it, in my experience 🤷
 
When you talk about inertia as being something sent by God to encourage you to focus on him, **do you find satisfaction in your devotions?
**
I mistrust the ideology of psychology, to be honest - it misses out the soul. I’ve been depressed, but the idea that depression is something that just happens to you, an unreasoning black dog or whatever, jumping on you without reason, seems bizarre to me - there is always a tangible reality that triggers it, in my experience 🤷
Sometimes I feel dry, but for the most part I find silent prayer quite spiritually rewarding.
 
For whatever it’s worth, our glorified bodies will make these earthly bodies seem loathsome. It all depends what you’re these bodies to.
Nevertheless we are called by God to respect and look after our earthly bodies.
 
Nevertheless we are called by God to respect and look after our earthly bodies.
Yes, but we are also called to mortify flesh and pray. What I may lack in not exercising, is made up for in prayer and mortification. (How much physical is needed to stay healthy?)
 
Robert,

When I confess sins of sloth but have some doubt that a particular action (or inaction, as the case may be) might be due to my diagnosed depression and not due to a crack in my relationship with God I mention that doubt and the depression to my priest.

As to how much exercise to get, talk to you doctor for a specific recommendation.

Regarding Mystic Bananas’ comment that psychology misses out the soul - a good therapist wouldn’t discount the spiritual aspects of their client, even if they may be precluded from discussing it in depth. Also, I’ve never heard of anyone in the professions around treating depression claiming it just happens to you. I know in my case my mental illnesses are the result, in part, of the coping strategies I developed as a young child and messed up brain chemistry.
 
Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe the world likes to call it ‘depression’ and to diagnose people with it, making sure they realize its very common, and lots of people go thru the same thing, BUT in reality, its actually something we should take very seriously (in Gods eyes, it may be something different than what the world tells us it is).

Think about it, there are lots of things the ‘world’ would like all of this to believe in, but alot of it clashes with what God has told us…Satan is extremely sneaky in his tactics.
 
Yes, but we are also called to mortify flesh and pray. What I may lack in not exercising, is made up for in prayer and mortification. (How much physical is needed to stay healthy?)
The amount of exercise needed various from person to person. However, what is clear is that exercise is NEEDED to help keep the body fit and healthy.

If by “mortify flesh” you mean physically harming our body through whipping, wearing items that cause the body to suffer we are NOT called to do that. I would be interested if you would show me where in the CCC it says we are.
If you mean something different in terms of mortification please explain so I may understand you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top