How do you fight temptations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter In_Jesus_I_Trust
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

In_Jesus_I_Trust

Guest
Hi!God bless you all.I just want to know How do you fight against tempations.I am praying the rosary for last 7 days.And it give me strenght to endure against sin of flesh(mssturbation and pornography).I am now in a state of grace but for last 3 days i have biggest temptations,Somehow i endure through it.I am Clean of pornography and mssturbation for 10 days.And if i fall again it seems like i am again at the beggining.Its really hard…I want to ask you How do you fight with your temptations?Any advices and strategy?God Bless.
 
Last edited:
Scripture says to resist temptations, Scripture tells us to put on the whole armor of God, to fill our mind with what is good and just.
 
‘Above all, we must be especially alert against the beginnings of temptation, for the enemy is more easily conquered if he is refused admittance to the mind and is met beyond the threshold when he knocks.’ - The Imitation of Christ
 
Look into some christian or catholic program for overcoming this addiction. It realy is an addiction and some type of program either online or in person is best for you. Get some type of porn blocker for your phone and computer. Pray and recieve the sacraments a lot! I am familiar with a book called “every man’s battle” but I know there are others and I remember seeing a really good catholic online program but I thought it was a bit pricey. I’m sure I have the info saved somewhere if you want me to research…
 
Well I am teenager and I am not saying it to justify my sin,we all need to battle against it.I am praying the rosary,it helps a lot.Hope soon God will give me Grace and Break these chains.
 
There’s some leeway here, to personal preference. Firstly, never try do it on your own. Ask God for help. That is why the rosary helps because you are asking (whether you know it or not) Our Lady and God for help with the Our Father and Hail Mary prayers. But at any time you can just ask in your own words for God’s help, even if you say, Jesus help me, or Mary be a mother to me. These tiny little prayers are very useful. If you have a good imagination then try to imagine Jesus on the cross for you at any time of temptation as you ask him for help. It is a good idea to keep good custody of you mind for this reason. That means, don’t watch tv which has any near miss scenes (by that I mean any sort of sexual scenes or anything where people almost ) as this will just tempt you. It’s like being on a diet but still looking at cake and chocolate… a bit silly really as you are only making it harder for yourself. We call it keeping custody or the mind. If you watch a film like The Passion of Christ or one of the many movies of yourtube about the gospels then when you feel tempted you can easily call up an image of Jesus on the cross or suffering or giving a sermon on the mount. Also keep your eyes to yourself when you are out and about if you see girls dressed inappropriately, look at soemthing else (especially while you are still being strengthened).
Go to mass every week and confess when you fall.

Bear in mind where temptations come from : the world (hence above) and the enemy and yourself.

You can read the Bible, the Psalms are helpful especially as they are like little songs and you could even learn verses. You can make the sign of the cross and keep a bottle of Holy water in your room and cross yourself with it and even sprinkle it around your room now and again.
You can use other sacramentals too, like medals which are blessed, like miraculous medal etc. google them and see which if any suits you and ask Our Lady to guide you, she will be invaluable help, as you are seeing in the rosary already. God bless you.
 
I’ve struggled with this myself. Here’s some practical advice: If you only start fighting this temptation when you notice it, you haven’t started early enough. I don’t mean that in some pithy ‘you should be praying all the time’ way (although, that’s good advice, temptation or no). I mean that this isn’t just a temptation it is also a habit.

Bad habits aren’t hard to break because they are overpowering, they are hard to break because they are ingrained. You likely have dozens of small triggers that set your mind on the disordered path towards temptation. Certain times or location or behaviors that you subconsciously associate with the sin. You don’t notice any of them at work until all of a sudden you are hit with temptation.

What you need to do is to start identifying and avoiding the small things. When temptation strikes, start looking at what you’ve been doing and thinking about recently. Try to spot common threads (the searching might even help get your mind off of temptation) and eliminate them or retrain yourself. If time on the computer leads to temptation, avoid being alone with the computer. If too much time by yourself leads to temptation, retrain yourself to associate that alone time with prayer.

Don’t fight temptation where it is strongest and you are weakest, turn the tables on it and fight where it is weak and you are strong.

Also, when you pray, don’t just pray for help with temptation. This is not about simply resisting, this is about transforming yourself. God loves to help people transform to follow Him more fully. Make sure you are asking Him for that.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top