How do you learn contentment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DarkLight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarkLight

Guest
I’m really struggling with this right now. I’ve had some pretty major health problems, and while they seem to be more under control right now, it means my education is a mess and I’m in debt and really have a hard road ahead to put my life back together. And I’m just finding myself frustrated and depressed. I worked very hard to…what, have the chance to work at walmart and try to finish a degree in my spare time? I’m in the same position as someone my age who frittered away their education and blew student loans on spring break trips, despite working very hard. I’m in a far WORSE position than the people who directly contributed to me ending up with major issues, most of whom haven’t seen any consequences to (in some cases outright criminal) actions.

I’m struggling to be happy in a position where I don’t seem to have a whole lot going for me. I know I have opportunities in the future, but that doesn’t make things better now.
 
I’m in a far WORSE position than the people who directly contributed to me ending up with major issues, most of whom haven’t seen any consequences to (in some cases outright criminal) actions.
Been there, done that.
How did I handle it?
I prayed a spiritual warfare prayer …
in which I asked God to forgive and bless
the person who hurt me.
I do not remember which prayer it was exactly
or I would provide a link for you … it was years ago.
But I remember that praying for that person
did in fact help.

I will pray for you.

And here’s what you can do to help as well:

Acknowledge God.
Take the next right step.
Be a sign of hope to those around you.

If you do not yet feel like you are a sign of hope,
then
just keep on acknowledging God
and taking the next right step.

:blessyou:
 
I think we can find our deepest sense of happiness in God. And that is something that no one and no circumstance can take away from a person.

People who sin and who get to their life’s end, not repenting for their bad behavior, will have a horrible debt to pay that they can in no wise repay except by eternal suffering. So don’t envy or feel like people who have done great wrong have a great life. Maybe they are carefree in the here and now. But just wait.

Try to find your authentic happiness. Work as best you can here, yes, but don’t expect external events and acquistions to be the source of your happiness.
 
Oh, dear one, I so understand your pain :hug3:

This Psalm has been one of God’s greatest gifts to me. Perhaps it will help you as well. Be strong – He is holding you by your right hand!

Psalm 73

1 How good God is to Israel,
to those who are pure of heart.
2 Yet my feet came close to stumbling,
my steps had almost slipped
3 for I was filled with envy of the proud
when I saw how the wicked prosper.


4 For them there are no pains;
their bodies are sound and sleek.
5 They do not share in men’s sorrows;
they are not stricken like others.

6 So they wear their pride like a necklace,
they clothe themselves with violence.
7 Their hearts overflow with malice,
their minds seethe with plots.

8 They scoff; they speak with malice;
from on high they plan oppression.
9 They have set their mouths in the heavens
and their tongues dictate to the earth.

10 So the people turn to follow them
and drink in all their words.
11 They say: “How can God know?
Does the Most High take any notice?”
12 Look at them, such are the wicked,
but untroubled, they grow in wealth.

13 How useless to keep my heart pure
and wash my hands in innocence,
14 when I was stricken all day long,
suffered punishment day after day.

15 Then I said: “If I should speak like that,
I should betray the race of your sons.”

16 I strove to fathom this problem,
too hard for my mind to understand,
17 until I pierced the mysteries of God
and understood what becomes of the wicked.

18 How slippery the paths on which you set them;
you make them slide to destruction.
19 How suddenly they come to their ruin,
wiped out, destroyed by terrors.
20 Like a dream one wakes from, O Lord,
when you wake you dismiss them as phantoms.

21 And so when my heart grew embittered
and when I was cut to the quick,
22 I was stupid and did not understand,
no better than a beast in your sight.

23 Yet I was always in your presence;
you were holding me by my right hand.

24 You will guide me by your counsel
and so you will lead me to glory.

25 What else have I in heaven but you?
Apart from you I want nothing on earth.

26 My body and my heart faint for joy;
God is my possession for ever.

27 All those who abandon you shall perish;
you will destroy all those who are faithless.
28 To be near God is my happiness.
I have made the Lord God my refuge.
I will tell of your works
at the gates of the city of Zion.
 
Thank you OP for starting this discussion. Please know you are not alone. I stumbled upon it right when I was feeling depressed. Thank you Gertabelle for you response. It was great.
 
I’m really struggling with this right now. I’ve had some pretty major health problems, and while they seem to be more under control right now, it means my education is a mess and I’m in debt and really have a hard road ahead to put my life back together. And I’m just finding myself frustrated and depressed. I worked very hard to…what, have the chance to work at walmart and try to finish a degree in my spare time? I’m in the same position as someone my age who frittered away their education and blew student loans on spring break trips, despite working very hard. I’m in a far WORSE position than the people who directly contributed to me ending up with major issues, most of whom haven’t seen any consequences to (in some cases outright criminal) actions.

I’m struggling to be happy in a position where I don’t seem to have a whole lot going for me. I know I have opportunities in the future, but that doesn’t make things better now.
I have not mastered contentment myself, but the way I have mitigated my suffering and kept myself focused is by breaking down my life into days instead of overwhelming myself with the big picture. On any given day/week, I will pen down in my journal a small list of things I wish to accomplish (this includes things such as "read 10 pages of a spiritually-edifying book, or “take my daily vitamins/brush teeth”, or “Do at least 1 household chore”, or bigger things such as “Apply at X school/job”, “Complete lesson plans for the week”, and then at the end of the night/week I check off what I needed to do.

Picture yourself traveling in a vast wilderness for thousands of miles. You know that your destination is “somewhere” far off to the west, but without mile markers along the way, you’re just going to get lost. So you go to X mile marker, and then you camp for the night, and then you go to Y mile marker, and you rest for lunch, etc. You break down your life into each day and week and you just do what you can on that day. You move closer to the “big picture” without frustrating yourself by thinking about where you ultimately want to be all the time. I’m on year 2 of improving my life, and I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I can objectively say that I am much better off than when I first started.

And of course, every day, you pray, “Mary, protect me from all evil, and hoist me up into your arms so that I am the Christian son you want me to be. I love you. Amen”
 
I will never be happy in this miserable and corrupt world, but I found the my letting go of worldly pleasures, and engaging in Contemplative prayer, have caused me to become content… it’s a grace.
 
+JMJ+

It is understandable and commendable that you recognize you want to be happy amidst all your troubles. That is, after all, the end of all human activity and thus of all religion. “Man cannot live without joy,” St. Thomas Aquinas said. It is the God-given drive in your soul to want to be happy, so much so that you would do anything to be happy amidst our sufferings.

Our religion gives us a unique advantage over others in finding happiness amidst sufferiing. Fr. Henri Nouwen voiced out in his book The Inner Voice of Love that the healing of one’s pain is not to run away from it, nor just to own it, but to move through and beyond it.

Still, as long as you keep pointing to the specifics, you will miss the full meaning of your pain. You will deceive yourself into believing that if the people, circumstances, and events had been different, your pain would not exist. This might be partly true, but the deeper truth is that the situation which brought about your pain was simply the form in which you came in touch with the human condition of suffering. Your pain is the concrete way in which you participate in the pain of humanity.

Paradoxically, therefore, healing means moving from your pain to the pain. When you keep focusing on the specific circumstances of your pain, you easily become angry, resentful, and even vindictive. You are inclined to do something about the externals of your pain in order to relieve it; this explains why you often seek revenge. But real healing comes from realizing that your own particular pain is a share in humanity’s pain. That realization allows you to forgive your enemies and enter into a truly compassionate life…

Every time you can shift your attention away from the external situation that caused your pain and focus on the pain of humanity in which you participate, your suffering becomes easier to bear. It becomes a “light burden”and an “easy yoke”(Matthew 11: 30). Once you discover that you are called to live in solidarity with the hungry, the homeless, the prisoners, the refugees, the sick, and the dying, your very personal pain begins to be converted into the pain and you find new strength to live it. Herein lies the hope of all Christians.

Christians are able to do this because of Jesus’ Sorrowful Passion. Because Jesus is God, He can, and He has, made His one Suffering eternal, enabling us to connect and join our suffering with His. This has tremendous implications for us, since this means that our sufferings can be offered for the salvation of the world. This is redemptive suffering

CCC 1505 Moved by so much suffering Christ not only allows himself to be touched by the sick, but he makes their miseries his own: “He took our infirmities and bore our diseases.” But he did not heal all the sick. His healings were signs of the coming of the Kingdom of God. They announced a more radical healing: the victory over sin and death through his Passover. On the cross Christ took upon himself the whole weight of evil and took away the “sin of the world,” of which illness is only a consequence. By his passion and death on the cross Christ has given a new meaning to suffering: it can henceforth configure us to him and unite us with his redemptive Passion.

So what can we infer from these conclusions?

Firstly, and very importantly, our sufferings are meant to be shared. We are never meant to suffer alone, but we are meant to help each other out that we may strengthen and heal each other. We are not just believers, we are the Church, the body of Christ. “As iron sharpens iron, so does one person sharpens another” (Proverbs 27:17). That is why we need trusted friends that we can tell our sufferings, and if needed we may have to go to professionals such as counselors, psychologists and psychiatrists to help us. Have you ever considered getting these types of services?

And yet, even in times where we have no choice but to suffer alone, we never need to suffer alone, when we offer up our sufferings to God and make our pain to the pain.

Secondly, the Sacraments are especially needed for us to overcome suffering, especially the Holy Eucharist. It is the Holy Eucharist that Jesus instituted that allows us to connect to His Suffering.

Thirdly, as recommended by the Church, the Sacraments must be supplemented by the traditional penitential practices of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. In particular, a prayer life that focuses on the Passion of Christ can be of immense help. I heartily recommend the Devotion to the Divine Mercy, at the very least the Chaplet to the Divine Mercy.

Personally, I pray the Chaplet to the Divine Mercy a bit differently. When on the small beads instead of praying

For the sake of His Sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world

I pray

For the sake of Our Sorrowful Passion…

Thus I make my sufferings one with Jesus’ own sufferings for the redemption of the world, yet I keep in my mind the capitalizations “Our Sorrowful Passion” to emphasize the infinite primacy of Christ’s sufferings. In fact, this is now my most frequent ejaculation whenever I encounter any suffering and difficulty.

Finally and most vitally, Christians are not only joyful in spite of their sorrows; they actually can be joyful because of their sorrows. There are many saints that can attest to this, those whose joy is the Cross. Maybe you can research on such saints and pick one or a few of them as patron saints. But this joy is supernatural, a grace from God. You must persevere in asking this grace through prayer and following God’s will.

I am keeping you in my prayers.
 
You got some really nice answers…better than mine…but here’s my $0.02:

God has given you a hardship because He wants to bless you. Now it’s up to you to watch for that blessing, and make sure you recognize it.
 
Learn to give thanks and praise to the Lord in all circumstances regardless of how these circumstances make you feel. Whatever situation you are in, He has allowed it. Only in thanks and praise can you find out why He allows it. There is a blessing in all your troubles.
 
OP I ache for you. This was much my situation 50 years ago. Thankfully I was so rejected by so many that I was pushed out of what they call the rat race. On disability and with no chance of “succeeding” as the world sees success. Now over 70 I am deeply content in myself and can spend what I have left working for the truly needy as I have food, clothing, shelter, Someone asked me recently at a craft fair where I sell my handwork for Inida and now Nepal, if I am was happy. I paused then replied from my soul that I am fulfilled. That for me is contentment even in constant pain and illness. I find it very sad when folk reject the world. There is beauty everywhere and in many folk. There is a bird at my window; he has only one note for a song but he is so pretty and bright. Asks for food. My one note is to live for Jesus and work for Him. When I put that first. By being rejected by the world. Keep at it and you will come through. Set your sights not on what the world sees as success and find the miracle of happiness in tiny things.That will nourish you
 
Start by finding contentment in little things. Sit outside in nice weather with a tea. Even 5 minutes. Listen to nature, it is a gift. Find a book you really like and read a couple chapters when you feel unhappy. Stuff like that.it helped me start to enjoy life again. Eventually, you’ll find more things to incorporate. Just remember, you’ll always have bad days, you just have to find things to combat them.
 
Start by finding contentment in little things. Sit outside in nice weather with a tea. Even 5 minutes. Listen to nature, it is a gift. Find a book you really like and read a couple chapters when you feel unhappy. Stuff like that.it helped me start to enjoy life again. Eventually, you’ll find more things to incorporate. Just remember, you’ll always have bad days, you just have to find things to combat them.
My life doesn’t get to have nice things. I wake up, eat, go to work, go home, and go right to bed. That’s all I have any time or energy to do - and I’m still not getting enough sleep as it is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top