C
cmscms
Guest
I have always felt more comfortable in prayer by myself. And I LOVE going to church alone. I have actually gone to mass alone and had strangers ask me to sit with them. As polite as it was, I did not feel comfortable. I just feel that my relationship with God is very personal. Pardon the expression but here is my analogy. Everyone knows everyone else uses the washroom but you do it alone because some things are private. Well, to me it is the same with God. I know a lot of people bring all their struggles to God, but sometimes one needs to face God by themselves.
Well, I have recently met some REALLY good Catholics. They are a good group to spend time with. Finally I am not mocked for wanting to wait until marriage and people are welcoming to others. I have noticed it is making me more outgoing and less judgemental of others.
Here come the but… sometimes, I feel resentful that I can not confide my struggles to them because I just don’t think I would like the reaction they would give me. And I think if they were secular people, I would be able to accept we have different religious beliefs. But since they are Catholic I am secretly hoping for more.
Sometimes, they will ask what they think are innocent questions (but to me they are really hitting a soft spot). I assert myself and say ‘This is a bit too painful for me to talk about’. I then I feel guilty. They seem to respect the boundary (which is all I can ask for) but I still struggle with setting it.
So the question I have is ‘Is it normal to go to church with people and still keep a wall up?’. In a way, it distracts me from really pouring my soul out to God when I am silently praying in church. Is it normal for me to say ‘I will sit alone but after church we can go for brunch?’
If anything, I miss the uniqueness I had when I was a ‘lone Catholic’
CM
Well, I have recently met some REALLY good Catholics. They are a good group to spend time with. Finally I am not mocked for wanting to wait until marriage and people are welcoming to others. I have noticed it is making me more outgoing and less judgemental of others.
Here come the but… sometimes, I feel resentful that I can not confide my struggles to them because I just don’t think I would like the reaction they would give me. And I think if they were secular people, I would be able to accept we have different religious beliefs. But since they are Catholic I am secretly hoping for more.
Sometimes, they will ask what they think are innocent questions (but to me they are really hitting a soft spot). I assert myself and say ‘This is a bit too painful for me to talk about’. I then I feel guilty. They seem to respect the boundary (which is all I can ask for) but I still struggle with setting it.
So the question I have is ‘Is it normal to go to church with people and still keep a wall up?’. In a way, it distracts me from really pouring my soul out to God when I am silently praying in church. Is it normal for me to say ‘I will sit alone but after church we can go for brunch?’
If anything, I miss the uniqueness I had when I was a ‘lone Catholic’
CM