How does one break lust?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CrimsonThorn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short skirt, spaghetti top,skirt riding way up by her thighs, legs open aimed right at me…Maybe you missed the part where I admitted that it was my fault for not changing my seating place. But as I also admitted it was not that easy, part of me really wanted to stay and look. The part of me that knows better didn’t want to, but I did, thus in the moment I chose not to react by moving, I sinned and gave into the flesh that wanted to stay.
LOL. Ok, ew. That does sound kind of gross. You are right, Dying Breed. Women should not dress like that in public. I never would dress like that, I am much to conservative, I was just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but there is no doubt.

I was out of line in jumping on you, Dying breed. Please accept my apology. 🙂
 
Short skirt, spaghetti top,skirt riding way up by her thighs, legs open aimed right at me…Maybe you missed the part where I admitted that it was my fault for not changing my seating place. But as I also admitted it was not that easy, part of me really wanted to stay and look. The part of me that knows better didn’t want to, but I did, thus in the moment I chose not to react by moving, I sinned and gave into the flesh that wanted to stay.
Well, Crimson, I would say you did well, considering the circumstances! And far be it from me to give advice of this kind, I have plenty of impure thoughts myself which keep me constantly in confession. :o
 
My spirit deep down does not want this, but my flesh does very much so
When you love God more than you love yourself, you will stop.

At that point, you will be willing to suffer for Christ, because satisfying Christ is more important to you than satisfying yourself.

-Tim-
 
When you love God more than you love yourself, you will stop.

At that point, you will be willing to suffer for Christ, because satisfying Christ is more important to you than satisfying yourself.

-Tim-
Awesome advice…and very true! I will take this advice myself . Thank you! 👍
 
LOL. Ok, ew. That does sound kind of gross. You are right, Dying Breed. Women should not dress like that in public. I never would dress like that, I am much to conservative, I was just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but there is no doubt.

I was out of line in jumping on you, Dying breed. Please accept my apology. 🙂
Well that is kind of how I interpreted his post, is that she was immodestly dressed. Its ok Angelsflight, its easy to misread people on the internet. Just glad the air got cleared. And thankyou for your kindly PM.
 
Well that is kind of how I interpreted his post, is that she was immodestly dressed. Its ok Angelsflight, its easy to misread people on the internet. Just glad the air got cleared. And thankyou for your kindly PM.
You are welcome! Glad we are still friends. 🙂
 
LOL. Ok, ew. That does sound kind of gross. You are right, Dying Breed. Women should not dress like that in public. I never would dress like that, I am much to conservative, I was just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but there is no doubt.

I was out of line in jumping on you, Dying breed. Please accept my apology. 🙂
The problem is that the girl was not gross, she was extremely beautiful. I wouldn’t call it gross, just maybe a bit thoughtless.

Not only just that, but by the time I get back to the office from lunch, theres like 3 more ladies that I work with that I see everyday, who provoke more thoughts in what they say and how they dress. I try to put my mind elsewhere but eventually I am worn down and sin.

I think drowning out the bad thoughts with the good is a good place to start, and through much prayer. It is going to literally take a miracle for my mind to change, but I’m sure it will happen with persistence.
 
The problem is that the girl was not gross, she was extremely beautiful. I wouldn’t call it gross, just maybe a bit thoughtless.

Not only just that, but by the time I get back to the office from lunch, theres like 3 more ladies that I work with that I see everyday, who provoke more thoughts in what they say and how they dress. I try to put my mind elsewhere but eventually I am worn down and sin.

I think drowning out the bad thoughts with the good is a good place to start, and through much prayer. It is going to literally take a miracle for my mind to change, but I’m sure it will happen with persistence.
Praying those thoughts away can help. That sometimes works for me. Sometimes, I just give in to my thoughts as well, and end up back in confession myself. It is probably the hardest thing to overcome.

You sound like you are doing great though. Hang in there and keep trying! 🙂
 
Praying those thoughts away can help. That sometimes works for me. Sometimes, I just give in to my thoughts as well, and end up back in confession myself. It is probably the hardest thing to overcome.

You sound like you are doing great though. Hang in there and keep trying! 🙂
Thanks I appreciate the encouragement 🙂
 
I had heard Archbishop Fulton Sheen say something like this -

Lust is a vice that cannot be driven out at once. You shall have to crowd it out. How? Paul explains -

“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Phil 4:8)

You have to fill your mind with honorable, pure, beautiful and lovely things so that you crowd out the lust that is in you. “do not make room for the devil” (Eph 4:27); “put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires” (Rom 13:14).

I had been to a retreat recently and a brother was sharing his story about his experience in Calcutta in India, feeding those who were starving. A man who was starving to death was brought in and this brother (his name is Pat) wanted to feed him as much as he could. But someone told him that the starving man had lost all appetite for food and could take only as much as two teaspoons of food. So Br. Pat fed him two teaspoons. Within a few days, the starving man’s appetite began to increase and within a week he was eating a bowl of food.

Br Pat explained that the body has a fantastic mechanism. Because this man wasn’t getting food, the body shut itself down and reduced his appetite for food. But as soon as he began getting food, the appetite automatically increased. Then Br Pat said that the same applies to the spiritual life as well.

This is so true in the case of lust! Right now, you are feeding your lust with pornography and therefore, your appetite for lust is very huge! But starve your lust for 30 days and you will find that your tendency to lust has reduced. It’s how our body works! So stop feeding your lust. Take away the food for your lust and it will become weak. Fill your mind with good things and keep yourself occupied with them, so that you are never idle and don’t give the flesh or the devil an opportunity.

God be with you!
Thank you! Will apply this to all ungodliness that have inflitrated my mind. 👍
 
The problem is that the girl was not gross, she was extremely beautiful. I wouldn’t call it gross, just maybe a bit thoughtless.

Not only just that, but by the time I get back to the office from lunch, theres like 3 more ladies that I work with that I see everyday, who provoke more thoughts in what they say and how they dress. I try to put my mind elsewhere but eventually I am worn down and sin.

I think drowning out the bad thoughts with the good is a good place to start, and through much prayer. It is going to literally take a miracle for my mind to change, but I’m sure it will happen with persistence.
Even a woman can be provoked by the way other woman dress. At least for myself. My personal opinion, how I overcame this is sanctifying my view of what is beautiful. Modesty is beautiful and all else is dehumanizing. Also, when a men/women wear animal prints, beware. Humans are not to mimic animals, it is again dehumanizing. My personal opinion here. Use discernment and keep your conversation minimal and professional with the ladies at work. If they say something that is off-cuff do not respond (give the silent treatment), or blow them off in a professional manner saying you have to get back to work. They’ll get the message. If they persist, take more of a direct approach. Also, do not entertain certain levels of conversations or you will be asking for it. Keep it light, talk about the weather. Blessed is the man who does not keep company with the wicked… If you have headphones, put them on at work and pretend you are listening to music. Moving forward, do not make yourself to familiar with the ladies. Also, dress clean and modest yourself, which will also send the message. Take care.
 
Bad and sinful habits are hard to break, but they can be broken, at least over time. With prayer, penance, charitable works, spiritual reading, the avoidance of all occasions of sin and the practice of custody of the senses, you can break out of your sinful habits – but you will need to go through a purgation, maybe even a long one. Even though you may now be having greater problems with the Ninth Commandment, as opposed to the Sixth, you are still battling with impurity. Count your blessings that you have overcome some of your sinful habits, and keep hopeful that Our Lord will deliver you from your present sufferings. You should resist the temptation to look immodestly at others, and when you catch yourself looking immodestly at someone, just stop it immediately and look away; lest you be guilty of the sin of giving immodest looks. You should discuss with a traditional priest what your eyes were doing with that woman who was eating – I’m afraid I do not know if you have mortally sinned or not, and I do not want to mislead you. It sounds like you were being voyeuristic, which is not very good. God bless you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top